Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any birders in the house – what bins
  • dannybgoode

Looking for a pair of birding bins – £200-400 price range and 8×30/32 or 8/42. Not too bothered about waterproofing and also not bothered whether porro or roof.

Anyone got any suggestions?

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Have a look at Opticron’s range. Approaching Leica, Zeiss, Swarowski quality but at a much more sensible price.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

I’d go for 8×42 as the brighter image afforded gives an impression of better magnification somehow. Not just in low light conditions.

vorlich
    Free Member

Our hawke bins are very good. Reasonably priced. Not perfect, but no regrets, given the price

nbt

We picked up some Celestron Granite ED 8*42 in that price range. Spent an hour or so trying as few different models in a shop at dusk and they seemed to offer best performance for the money. Swarovski were lively and noticeably better but not enough to justify triple the price. Nikon ones were a little better but again not work double the price. Recently picked up some old Opticrons from the local charity shop and they’re bloody good, not as good as the Celestrons but they were originally about £120 rather than £300+

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My Nikon Sporter 8×42’s are rather nice.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

In some ways the best bins are the ones you always take out with you. If they’re too bulky you might be inclined to leave them behind. Worth thinking about with porro prisms, though you tend to get better optics for the money.

tuffty
    Free Member

Where are you based? Birdfair at Rutland Water this weekend, all manufacturers are there so you can try them all out. Some of the RSPB ones offer excellent value. And the chance to play with the best, Swarovski mmm lovely 🙂

mattstreet

Opticron, Viking or the RSPB-branded ones would all be a good bet at that money. I took a look at an RSPB ‘HD’ set earlier this year and the optical quality was very very good.

I’d put weight as a choosing factor – the lighter the better for longer use and lugging about.
    I would get sealed ones though – non-sealed will fog up.

I’m hoping to get over to Rutland on Sunday too. 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve just got a pair of Nikon Prostaff 7. £145 from Amazon. Roof prism, really light and crisp bright image.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any birders in the house – what bins’ is closed to new replies.