Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any birders getting excited about autumn?
  • geologist
    Free Member

🙄 Errr. I am.

Hoping to get to Scilly start of october.

JulianA
    Free Member

Would be REALLY nice to see some Waxwings this time around…

geologist
    Free Member

Waxwings are great, they were my first ever twitch , when I was10, 28 years ago 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Waxwings?!! Did you hibernate last winter Julian?!!

I’m excited. I had two of my best days birding ever in the last 10 months.

Version 1.0 is due this winter, the little one may have something to say a out how many hours I get in.

Jealous of the trip Geo. First time or annual routine?

geologist
    Free Member

Ihave neverbeen believe it or not, in over 25 years of birding!

When mini geologist was born 5 years ago, my birding went up alittle!

The full days out went, but I went out all the time just for a couple, hours. With the missus, and him in a sling.
    It was a good ‘family time’ hobby, and an excuse to get out,, thats why the missus got involved and therefore encourGed it more than when it was just me going out for the whole day

JulianA
    Free Member

No, beagle, wasn’t hibernating, just wasn’t in the right place at the right time, sadly.

JulianA
    Free Member

I have to say that one of our best ever birds was a Snowy Owl a few years ago in Belgium… But hey, woodpeckers in our garden are pretty special! In fact all the birds in our garden are special.

JulianA
    Free Member

Also hoping that Marquanterre is going to produce something interesting in the next couple of days…

Pembo
    Free Member

First autumn in the new house and every morning and evening for the last week the geese from delamere/hatchmere have been flying over the house. Great sound.

beagle
    Free Member

Fingers crossed this year for you Julian. There were a few years where I kept missing them. Snowy owl sounds amazing. Not seen one myself. Owls are a favourite of mine and how I spent alot of my childhood with my dad – searching them out.

The in laws are on the Wirral. Can see a bit of time spent there over winter. Always a good spot to be had!

scousebri
    Free Member

It’s not been a bad year compared to last year for me. Had a few ticks for the year list, Citrine wagtail in Cornwall and a trip to East yorks the other day for a Great snipe to name a few. Had a couple of dips on both life and year lists. Roll on Autunm. I’m quite lucky i live 10 mins from the exe estuary and the teign eastuary is out side my door so always plenty to look at.

slugwash
    Free Member

I’m quite lucky i live 10 mins from the exe estuary and the teign eastuary is out side my door so always plenty to look at.

I believe there’s some mild excitement in your neck of the woods at present….

Bird Sightings in Devon

scousebri
    Free Member

Always some sort of mild excitement down in this part of the country,Quite alot of people out for both spotted Crake and LYL.

CountZero

Can’t say I go out of my way to see a particular bird, but when I’m out walking I always have the binocs with me, just in case I see something interesting. I normally make the effort to drive down to the Somerset Levels for the starlings in the new year, though.

roper
    Free Member

We will be seeing these go back to Africa over the next few weeks.They might be a little noisy but lovely to see.

molgrips
    Free Member

One of these days I’ll get down to Slimbridge with my camera.. when’s a good time?

geologist
    Free Member

Now through the rest of the winter would be good there

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any birders getting excited about autumn?’ is closed to new replies.