Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any bike mechanics out there?
  • chrisg1664
    Free Member

Im after some opinions before I take my bike to my LBS to get my pants pulled down.
    On my last ride out I heard a bit of a thunk from the back wheel as I hit a rock. Since then if I exceed 15-20mph and stop pedalling, the top half of my chain gets sucked down between the chain stay and tyre and only returns if I pedal. Its not jammed up and thrown me off…yet but it isnt very confidence inspiring
    I thought I had damaged the freewheel but this feels ok and does not jam or feel rough when I move it with my hand.
    The rear mech is tight, the mech hanger is tight and the chain is the right tension.
    Ive tried riding with another wheel but the same cassette and the problem disappears so I’m assuming its the wheel and not the frame, cassette or mech.

Any help would be appreciated before I have to go through the expense of trial and error.

mmel
    Free Member

What hub is it?

Sounds like the free hub not being as “free” as it should be.

mboy
    Free Member

Why the assumption you’re going to get your pants pulled down? Fairly offensive thing to say when you’re asking for opinions from LBS mechanics on here, is it not?

Anyway… Sounds to me (without seeing it) like you are having freehub issues, but without knowing what the hub is and seeing it first hand, its very difficult to diagnose. Pop down your LBS, they should look at if and quote you for the job first anyway before you say yay or nay to the job.

And yes, I do work in a bike shop. And no, we don’t rip customers off. If we did, we wouldn’t see them again!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Snapped axle?

sherry
    Free Member

Sounds like a free hub problem. Or is the wheel wider/big tyre with chain slap catching the tyre and pulling it in between the frame?

postierich
    Free Member

Take your own lube if your going to mboys shop!

chrisg1664
    Free Member

mboy apologies I wasnt meaning to offend people, was trying to be light hearted. I also meant going through trial and error of replacing different bits. Thanks for your advice anyway.
    The hub is an ’09 Mavic Crossmax st. There is a slight bit of play in the axle which I hadnt noticed but it still feels smooth when I move it with my fingers.
    It wont be chain slap with wide tyres etc, it happens on smooth roads on a 2.1 tyre

mboy
    Free Member

I was about to ask if it was a Mavic freehub! I have this problem on my Mavic Aksiums on my road bike in the cold at speed… 😕

Get the freehub checked over, sounds like it needs a clean and a relube. Though get the play in the axle checked out too, as DT says above, possibility you might have snapped an axle (or maybe just bent it).

Rorschach
    Free Member

As a time served bike mechanic I can say with some authority that is probably definitely broken…..£10 paypal to my account please.Next!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It could just be a sticky freehub. Happens on one of my wheels with a cheap hub. If I back pedal, it sorts it out though.

chrisg1664
    Free Member

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it’ll be back rolling properly soon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any bike mechanics out there?’ is closed to new replies.