Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any better tyres than Spesh fatboys for 26" Road riding especially in Winter?
  • Vortexracing

Just about to get some road tyres for the MTB and was going to buy some Spesh fatboys as they are cheap and easy to get hold of (bike shop locally have em).

I have only ever used these before in dry conditions and due to fact they have no grooves or tread was a bit concerned about them in winter.

are they Ok or are there any better alternatives for winter road riding out there for the same money (£15 an end)?

Ta in advance

Chuck

naokfreek
    Free Member

Use them loads on my messanger duties, have a pair of bontis on now, same deal..fast, high pressure, but once they wear down, do puncture easy, but i cut the bead of old ones and bung that inside the new one, no punctures.

All in for the price, good, tried and very tested.

Not to bad in the wet, just take it easy as you would, as for ice/snow, forget it.

Bregante

I've just got some Panaracer Uff'Da 2.3 city/jump tyres for my Rocky Ridge for bad weather commuting. Only had a spin round the block on them so far but seem to roll really well. Only found a few reviews but seem to be well regarded, Also worth considering the Schwalbe big apples but I got the Panaracers for £14 at Merlin.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-tyres-and-tubes/panaracer-bike-tyres/panaracer-uff-da-urban-2-3.html

Vortexracing

Cheers i'll check those merlin ones out.

Anymore gents?

kiwijohn

DMR Moto R/T's last forever, but not the fastest rolling. Great for a street bike.

rootes1

Conti gaterskins and sport contacts are better in the wet than fat boys.

on the road you don't need grooves and nobbles – slicks like the gaterskins and contacts get the most rubber down on the road and have a decent compound.

on-one has sport contact for £10
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/info_TYCOSC2613.html

you can also get two 26×1.6 or 26×1.3 contacts inc tubes on ebay inc postage for £27

another look out for is Panaracer Ribmo – bit heavier than the conti's but better puncture resistance.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

dont worry about the lack of tread unless going off road on them. Road tyres are so narrow that tread grooves are mostly for your mental reassurance than actually clearing water. Less grooves = more contact area with the road = more grip.

Surfr
    Free Member

Conti GPs are awesome but out of your price bracket. I run 26×1.2" on my commuter

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20grand%20prix.shtml

Vortexracing

Might have a see about those conti's from sleazbay or on-one.

cheers gents

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Schwalbe Big Apple/Super Motos are great if you want to go for a more manly looking 2.3 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tread must help on the road on snow/slush.

voodoo-rich

Conti Sport Contact for me

julesg007
    Free Member

Hi,

I've used the following; Tioga City Slickers, Spesh Fatboys and Conti GP's.

Didn't have any major issues or problems with any of them. Will echo what has been said about tread. Found the best way to reduce the chances of punctures is to have the tyres, whatever you opt, running at recommended or close to max pressure. Also helps to reduce rolling resistance.

Of the 3 I used I had a preference for the Conti's as they were the skinniest and inflated to the highest pressure around 120PSI, and I still believe you can get them in a folding version (slightly lighter but a tad more expensive than the non folding version – very handy as you can carry a spare tyre.

I have, however, just opted for a different tyre this time – by Spesh – All Condition Pro 2 (II). Haven't ridden it yet but it seems to be a real nice tyre. It is a folding tyre so helps with weight (and again you can carry a spare just in case), is only 1" wide so nice a slim and inflates to a max pressure of 125. It also does have a tread patten for supposedly all condition performance, has flak jacket puncture protection, is 120 TPI and dual compound.

I hope it is as good as I remember the Conti GP was. They are not the cheapest tyre available, but I managed to find a pair for about £35, but that was while back, I think mid '09, although they are normally around £25ish each.

Hope this helps

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any better tyres than Spesh fatboys for 26" Road riding especially in Winter?’ is closed to new replies.