Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any beekeepers on here?
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

As it says?

tyke
    Free Member

Yes, been keeping bees for 6 years.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went to the pet shop & said, 'I'd like to buy a bee'. The assistant says, 'sorry sir, we don't sell bees', & I says, 'well youv'e got one in the window'

IGMC. (& buzz off)

tankslapper
    Free Member

Tyke

Whereabouts are you based? I've had horrendous problems getting restarted with colonies etc? Moving to south Wales soon too which doesn't help!

How are your hives for disease etc?

allyst170
    Free Member

Not a beekeeper but the wife works for FERA dealing with bees

tyke
    Free Member

I am based in Surrey, so probably can't help you getting sorted with new colonies. I would suggest joining your local association once you settle into Wales. As you have all the kit you should be able to get hold of some colonies or swarms fairly easily and cheaply. Nucs are selling for ridiculous amounts of money driven by all the new people taking up beekeeping – £150 seems to be the norm.

Disease wise I've been OK. I manage to keep Varroa under control with an active management regime – Apiguard, Oxalic acid, drone traps and icing sugar over the course of the season. It seems to me that Varroa won't necessarily kill a colony off but will weaken it and make is susceptible to other viruses etc. which will make it disease resistant. Our local bee inspector reckons most colonies don't die from disease but starvation especially at this time of year.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Thanks Tyke

Last time I kept bees Varroa was only just appearing and then we used Bayvarol, but I believe this is now off the market?

I'll join the local beekeepers when I get down to Pembrokeshire, still have a lot of gear but will go back to the old suppliers once I'm established. Not sure what Pembrokeshire is like for bee keeping but guess I'm going to find out pretty soon!

cheers

Creg

We've been debating getting a beehive for our garden however location might be an issue.

We have a 20ft x 50ft garden that is fenced however we live on a terrace. Its not really busy, there are only 6 houses that are occupied year round (out of 24), however the garden that backs onto ours is owned by a rather active neighbour who spends a lot of time banging around in his aircraft hanger-esque shed.

Will it be possible to keep bees in our garden or would we be(e) better off with something more remote?

*sincere apologies for the thread hijack, wasnt expecting to find bee people on here tbh*

tankslapper
    Free Member

Hi Creg

I used to keep bees in a back garden quite happily, as long as the blighters have a good fence to zoom up and over then you should be fine although if your neighbours see your hives then you'll probably get the blame for every stinging (and biting) insect in the area!

If you're new to it I recommend Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey

cheers
    TS

saladdodger
    Free Member

Yep we have 7 hives now , alas we lost one through the winter

In our front garden we have 3 hives hidden from the main road by a hedge, but last year we had a hive swarm jesus what a sight we kept a low profile but by hell did some folk run up the road

Oh my I did chuckle then I realised we lost a colony not funny all of a sudden

Kuco

Creg when I use to live at home in a terrace house our neighbour had two hives and the bees were never a problem. None of us ever got stung apart from the dog once who quickly learnt you can't eat them 🙂

Creg

Thanks for the replies folks.

We have talked it over and come to the conclusion that things are tense enough with our neighbour opposite so getting bees might just make it worse.

When we got chickens he came waddling over, banged on the door and started shouting about how keeping chickens was putting the health of the neighbourhood in jeopardy because of the smell blah blah blah. He was politely informed that the sight of his fat gut in a pair of speedos over the summer months did more damage and then was promptly told to **** off.

Bees will probably get him going again, although a few stings might get him to cover up 😆

Out the front of the house is an option though. Not a garden as much but a small concrete area overlooking nothing but fields…however there is a neighbour with a rampant dog.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Bees do not want to sting you because they will die

In 3 years of beekeeping I have been stung about 7 times and that is only because I was disturbing there hive.

I was sceptical when we first got them but now no worries

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any beekeepers on here?’ is closed to new replies.