Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • any beefy hardtails at halfords?
  • 5lab

Rightoh, its C2W time, and I figured (being limited to halfords) I'd pick myself up a NS Core 2 – £950 for a nice and strong (key point – my current xc bike is a 45 lb cannondale) hardtail with reasonable forks. Only problem – there's none in a large size in the country, and the distributer recons it's going to stay that way this year.

So, what else is there? a quick look suggests

Giant Aggressor Elite – very unknown (not a single review, and none in-store), and a bit lightweight – that 'all mountain' wheelset looks like it'd last me 5 minutes

DMR – nothing with gears in their 'bikes' section

Kona – Five-o fits the bill, but i just.. don't like it. Its a shame, I can't fault it but it just doesn't do anything for me

Identiti – nothing with decent forks available

And that's about it – there aren't any other big hardtail brands I can see there. Have I missed anything? I'm no-where near leisure lakes or the bike chain (I'm in Brighton) and they don't do halfords c2w mail-order. Has anyone had luck getting halfords to build them a bike based on a frame (you can still get the NS Surge frame-only)? Gotta make a decision fairly soon as our benefits deadline is soon :S

5lab

anyone? 🙁

wwaswas

I thought Halfords could order pretty much anythign in for you?

my current xc bike is a 45 lb cannondale

I think you'll find that's a bike you ride xc, not an xc bike 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5lab

I'm not sure where they stand on custom bikes? A lot of beefy hardtails are frame-only – there's not much out there which is available as a full bike from the manufacturer (ie Ragley, Cotic etc)

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Can they get hold of Orange or Marin? Crush or Rocky Ridge?

james-o
    Free Member

Halfords have supplied Genesis via CTW, I don't know where they get them from though as we don't supply them ourselves.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I got a genesis from halfords last year and there are a few good hardtails in their range. You could also look at charge, I think they were on the list… Worst comes to the worst – get something with the best componentry you can and swap it onto a on-one 456…

5lab

orange crush and rocky ridge are both out of the price range (£1000) which can't be topped up

There is that leisure lakes special orange crush, I think that might be the best option right now

The componentry option is one I'd looked at (although swapping onto a ns surge rather than a 456) – the trouble is that all their decent componentry is on bikes more towards the xc end of things, which would mean new forks\wheels needed, and kinda defeats the point – the exception would be the carrera xxx which just gets away with having enough kit I think (but how hard would it be to sell a carrera frame? :S )

rickon
    Free Member

Are you really limited to Halfords, or is that just a location issue? I'd spend a couple of hours travelling and £20 fuel to get a decent spec bike on c2w.

5lab

actually limited, although some LBSs can apparently take their vouchers.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Buy the voodoo D-Jab TI hrdtail frame should be under a grand 🙂

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

I know a few indepandants will take the Halfords vouchers.

5lab

the djab (I'd love one) is £1600 (!) instore. A bit far off the grand (they got down to that price last year)

I could get vouchers for a grand and hope something comes up, but its a bit of a risk

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Why don't you like the 5-O? It's the right sort of bike I think. Mate has one – it's weighty to pedal uphill, but very comfy and capable downhill.

Bikeradar gave the delux model 4/5: BIKERADAR LINK

Ride before you decide

5lab

I know I sound like a bit of a gimp, but I just don't like it – whilst it ticks all the boxes (the weight is no issue). I used to have one of these

which I loved, so it's not a kona snobbery issue. I just don't like it. I think its the bent top tube, but I can't put my finger on it – and when spending a grand I'd like something I do like.

Hope that helps. I understand its not logical, but thats all I can say?

tony24
    Free Member

the first bike you stated is that not a GT aggressor elite? as i did not think halford did giant…

If it is i own a GT elite with the 140mm travel rock shox revelation forks and the frames seems strong as you like. even the wheels seem pretty solid for what they are.

only thing i hated was the trutive fire x crank :S

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK I can see why you don't like the look of the long, kinky top-tube. Fair enough.

5lab

sorry, yeah the GT (always get the two confused..)

what are the angles like on it? I was a little worried by

'The Alex SX44 rims are white and really stand out from the crowd'

aside from the 'really standing out in the crowd' part, they're described by the manufacturer as

Especially for All Mountain, Marathon, Enduro
    Pinned joint, 32 or 36 holes,
    Silver\black, 26", 559 X 20, 480g

which doesn't sound *that* strong?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

the SX44's are alright – I got some on my abyss I think the only reason I don't use them more is that I don't get on with the tyres, and I have better wheels on better rubber. They are reasonably burly though.

nick-22
    Free Member

okay get a NS Surge, or to be exact my NS Surge. £1000ONO

5lab

do you take halfords vouchers? 🙂

nick-22
    Free Member

haha..woops i didn't read the whole thing.

how many halfords vouchers?? 😛

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘any beefy hardtails at halfords?’ is closed to new replies.