Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any bathroom fitters\plumbers in the house?
  • kaysee

Does anyone have any useful advice for stopping the leaks between my bath and shower screen? The original squishy seal supplied with the screen died quickly, so was replaced with a more squishy one with a water deflector. This has been acceptable for a few months, but water sits inside the bubble seal, and it's now gone mouldy black and pink inside.

My new ebay replacement seems happy to let every single drop of water through, and straight on to the floor, no matter how I adjust it.

It's a 5mm glass screen with a pivot at the wall, which we need to be able to pivot so we can recover the baby from the deep end – so no siliconing the whole thing to the bath. The gap between the screen and bath is around 10mm, due to the design of the screen.

Are there any decent sealing strips (I've been using the slide-on ones, but have seen the glue-on rubber strips) or other systems I could try? The slide-on seals seem to come in many different styles – are any better then the rest.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Make sure that the ends of the seal are filled with clear silicone and it will not fill with water.

Stoner
    Free Member

its pretty inevitable that those seal strips will go mouldy or pink algae.

Ive just fitted a shower cubicle where the option was for those seal strips, or to silicone the panels, I chose the latter.

The only remedy is regular cleansing of the strips, remove and scrub – dont let residue limescale or mould build up as it gets harder to remove. Bleach only hides it, you still need elbow grease to get it off.

Spongebob
    Free Member

1) Discard useless seal.
    2) Clean surface of bath and tiles until squeaky clean (use a window scraper, CIf and a Brillo pad if required).
    3) Mask off bath and wall (about 4-5mm gap).
    4) Run bead of sanitary silicone (Dow Corning 785 – the best!).
    5) Remove tape immediately after application of silicone.
    6) Very carefully smooth down with a wet finger where neccessary.
    7) Wait 24hrs before introducing any water to the new seal.

Have plenty of paper towel to hand to wipe off stray silicone and put the used tape straight into a plastic bag to keep things clean.

This will last for years and years provided you bath is anchored down and screwed to the wall.

takisawa2

I close the door inwards a few degrees when having a shower, so the water drops straight into the bath, then leave it that way to drain off. Got fed up with cleaning the seal when it went mouldy, so left it off.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any bathroom fitters\plumbers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.