Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any bargain (new) 26" wheelsets around?
  • kevin1911

I’m thinking of getting some new wheels for my ibis Mojo SLR. I’d have thought there would be loads of bargains out there what with 26″ being obsolete*. Can’t seem to find much though – the only thing I’ve really found is some DT Swiss X1600 on Merlin for £185, but the tubeless kits for them are another £30 a wheel.

Anything else out there that people have spotted? I need 15mm front and 142/12mm at the back.

momo

I looked at them, ended up buying some clearance carbon ones from superstar, had some left built with arch EXs for £200 (they chucked in some free valves for me too, but I did collect them from the warehouse)

kevin1911

Arch EX on something would be ideal. By the time I came across the Superstar clearance deal, all of the good wheels had gone 🙁

gelert
    Free Member

That sounds like a great deal for a wheel set that. You won’t find much cheaper that are actually good.

Superstar were selling off their warehouse stock last week, cheapest 26 in Stans set I found was £169. Most of the best stuff might have gone already but you might still be lucky, it wasn’t just their own brand rims either, lots of Stans and DT Swiss in there.

If you did get any from them I’d get them trued and tensioned by your LBS though before riding them too far. The Carbon AMs I have came with loose spokes and were badly dished but they were cheap so I can’t complain too much.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I’ve got some Hope hoops Pro3 XC3 hubs on Stans Crest 26″ tubeless ready rims – under 1400 grams, front is brand new, rear was used for a few rides before the rim was replaced under warranty, not used since – email in profile if interested.

kevin1911

Thanks trailseeker. I think I probably need something a little meatier, what with being on the wrong side of 15st 🙁

momo

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/stans-switch-ultra-clearance-wheelset.htm

These are the ones, they had them on Wednesday as I nearly bought them.

devash
    Free Member

These are the ones, they had them on Wednesday as I nearly bought them.

Are these the original Arch rims or Arch EX? Just says ‘Arch’ on the dropdown menu so I presumed they were the older (narrower) versions.

kevin1911

Me too. Anyone know? In fact, I’ve actually forgotten what the difference is. Anyone know?

momo

Definitely EXs, I had them out of the box to check

momo

double post

kevin1911

Thanks for confirming! In that case… They will do the job nicely.

devash
    Free Member

Tempted between these and the Pacenti TL28’s on Switch hubs. £30 difference. The Pacentis are cheaper, wider and lighter but read a few forum posts saying that they are not as durable.

I’m actually kicking myself because a couple of weeks ago I had one of the £175 Arch Ex / Tesla Evo builds in my basket on their website but had to go and do a job and when I came back to finish the checkout it was gone / sold out. That was an insane deal.

agg25
    Free Member

Shameless plug – if you wanted a top end 26er wheelset at a good price, check these out

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wheelset-26-stans-ztr-arch-ex-bor-md7-hubs-dt-swiss-spokes-tless-hans-dampf

Hand built, super strong, super light 26″ wheelset with tyres

Cost me £650
    Sell £300

Stans ZTR Arch EX rims
    DT Swiss Comp Pro spokes
    Bor MD-7 hubs (German made by Tune factory – top shelf!)
    Brass nipples
    1535 grams hand built by Clee Cycles

BOR MD7 MTB Disc Hubs are fine examples of German engineering. Ultra lightweight at 121g and 222g front and rear for the standard quick release versions. Suitable for XC, Marathon and All Mountain.

The rear hubs are made by Tune – so use the Tune freehub body.

CNC machined
    17 mm Axle Platform – 15mm front, 10 or 12mm rear options available – please ask!
    Anodized
    Laser-etched Logo
    Number of holes: 28/32
    Radial lacing front right possible
    Sealed cartridge bearings – 2 front, 4 rear
    Bearing play adjustable
    Original Tune Freehub
    Weight on our scales – F : 122g R : 227g
    Nice clicketty sound

With used (but very usable) tyres –
    Hans Dampf 26×2.35 Pacestar Compound – rear
    Hans Dampf 26×2.35 Trailstar Compound – front

Will accept cash on collection

chakaping
    Free Member

You could do a lot worse than look at Superstar’s Tech 4 wheelsets.

The rims are a match for Stans and you just need a roll of their tape a pair of valves to go tubeless, so about £15 for the pair.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any bargain (new) 26" wheelsets around?’ is closed to new replies.