Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any bargain 29"/ 700c disc wheelsets about?
  • podman
    Free Member

Hi all,

I ordered one of the Inbreds a few days ago, intending to build it up into a cheap SS hybrid/ commuter. I also got a set of those cheap Deore brakes from CRC, so now I just need a chainset, forks (fancy some CroMoto’s- anybody seen some cheap?), and some wheels to build it up.

I’ve had a look around and see Merlin have got a pretty good offer- 525 hubs with Sun inferno rims for £74, or Arch rims for £118.50, both of which seem really good value! However, I’d rather go for something narrower (I have some 35c Marathons I’d like to use), has anybody seen anything? The other option is to find a road rim with a similar ERD and swap them over, but I’d rather avoid the initial outlay.

Thanks 🙂

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Was just going to recommend the Merlin deal. I had a set of 38 mm schwalbe marathons running no probs on flows so the arches will be fine as old model 19mm internal diameter.

AlexSimon

Pacenti rims on Superstar hubs from Superstar?

I went for Pacenti CL25 on Tesla hubs for my Cyclocross bike.

Nothing was close to the weight for the money:
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=656

Edit: for some reason I read the original post as £174, but I now see you’re looking for cheaper wheels than the ones I posted.

tomaso
    Free Member

Search for Mavic A317s or 319s or 117s on Deore disc hubs and they should do the trick.

podman
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies- I might go for the Merlin deal with the Arch- I run Arch’s with 2.4″ Nobby Nics on the big bike, just figured they’d be too wide for the Marathon’s, but obviously not.

I’m working on research to encourage increased walking and cycling in London- I’m not from London, riding there still scares me, but feel more comfortable on a mtb with discs! I’m looking to do some ride-along interviews in the future, but not too happy taking any of my bikes to London. I was looking at getting a Brompton but don’t really have the funds at the moment, so when the On One deal popped up it looked ideal. This does mean that I’m trying to build it up as cheap as possible, I’ll inevitably need to leave the bike in slightly dodgy places and don’t want to lose too much if it (or bits of it) is stolen.

I wonder how the Marathons would be tubeless on the Arch?

ianpinder
    Free Member

I had 32c tires on arch rims no problems there

rob2
    Free Member

Merlin for shimano mt66 (slx) ones £124 or xt’s at 195 ish

Superstar black dragon on switch for £179 from memory?

I use the slx ones on my cx bike and I like them

podman
    Free Member

Thanks- I had somehow missed the mt66’s from Merlin.

I think it’s between them and the 525/ Arch, the arch set is a tenner less, 6 bolt (the reviews of the MT66 mention free rotors, but they’re not mentioned anywhere in the item description, so I guess that offer has finished?), are familar to me and look less expensive (for conspicuousness reasons in London), so I think they’re winning.

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

I’m looking at exactly the same thing to go on a roadrat.

Best I’ve found is XT hubs on Mavic A317s for £125 from Bikediscount.de

Just over 2kgs, should take a pair of Gatorskin 28s or 2.0 29er tyres as required…

Andy

I have the Merlin Arch/M525 combo. A really good deal and built well I think as will be pretty easy to rehub them if the hubs die and also the lighter rim means that any exra weight is away from the rim.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any bargain 29"/ 700c disc wheelsets about?’ is closed to new replies.