Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any BAE Barrow staff in?
  • geoffj

The contracting merry go round is in motion again and this has come up as a possibility.
    Obviously the location could be considered challenging, but for a shortish term position on 4 day weeks, it looks like it might be OK?

Any pitfalls on commuting from Kendal?

fizik
    Free Member

There isnt anything really wrong with the location given its so close to the Lakes and all the trails if mtb is your thing. Kendal is realistically going to be over an hour each way, my bet would be Ulverston if you wanted a nice place to live, close enough to commute but not too close if you know what I mean. There are a fair few bikers in BAE, I am one of them, loads of night riding etc.

veedubba

I was, but now I’m not, but I still live here…

I’d say that any contracting there is a very good thing as the money always seems to be very good, and the location is really what you make of it. Barrow’s not as bad as people make out, it’s just a schlep from the motorway. But, as an example, Coniston’s 20 minutes away.

The A590 is a decent road and from Kendal would take you 45 minutes on average (no speeding etc). If there’s a crash or some other delay it can cause a problem though, as it’s not dual carriageway all the way through.

If you want a chat let me know.

geoffj

Cheers guys – its very early days, but it doesn’t seem too bad a proposition at the moment.

fizik
    Free Member

45 minutes to kendal is very optimistic unless you are on the road at 5am and 7pm (which if you are contracting you may well be).During peak times, particularly at night around 4.00-4.30 getting to ulverston can be 35 minutes if stuck in traffic, I wouldnt go as far as saying the A590 is decent, particularly between Barrow and Ulverston if they are doing any kind of roadworks, grass cutting, sunday drivers, loads of lorries etc etc etc. Definitely agree that Barrow is what you make it though, some very friendly people and access to western lakes is great! Contracting is a good gig and they pay for training etc still, I would if I could!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any BAE Barrow staff in?’ is closed to new replies.