Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Any AV experts in the house!?
  • summitchilterns
    Free Member

I’m looking at installing a (budget) home cinema.. Any do’s or dont’s or gotcha’s to look out for pls? It’s a new build extension and am looking at ceiling speaker’s, projector, DVD player, Amp and Sky Q (probably). Any advice appreciated on do’s or don’ts / recommendations… Thanks guys… 😀

Cougar

DVD player is very 20th Century of you. Why not a BD player?

Some sort of media player? Chromecast / Firestick / Kodi / Now TV / etc etc?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Top tip. Don’t get a DVD player 😯 😉

georgecats_0
    Free Member

Hi there, I’ve got a fairly cheap set up
    Onkyo home cinema amp/speaker package , eBay £125
    Optima hd projector eBay £150
    Electric cscreen £70
    Panansonic bluray recorder eBay £50
    I live in a bungalow and already had a wall mounted Tv, I had a void behind the Tv, so fed the cables for the projector up through the void and into the loft to the projector,I would recommend fitting a Tv behind the screen, as you won’t want to use the projector all the time,so I bought a hd splitter and feed the Tv,and the projector at the same time, I just turn whichever one I’m using on,
    One thing, don’t fit large dangly ceiling lights!!

cranberry
    Free Member

A Blueray what now, Grandad ?

Get a NAS, get Plex and rip your media collection to it.

Cougar

Oh,

You’re running a network connection to this extension, yes? Couple of lengths of CAT5e to Krone points next to the router and next to the AV installation.

Cougar

A Blueray what now, Grandad ?

Get a NAS, get Plex and rip your media collection to it.

You’ll still need a player to rip them in the first place. I’m guessing the OP only has a DVD currently so would need a BD player to rip future Blu-Ray purchases. Assuming we’re still buying media, anyway.

I’m a stone’s through from removing mine, but that’s because the Xbox has entirely replaced it. Which a point actually – add an Xbox One / PS4 to the mix?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a projector if I were you, unless it’s a dedicated home cinema. Expensive for a decent one, issue of routing cables to it (assuming you’re extension is already built, obviously not an issue if not) and can be expensive ongoing costs with the cost of the bulbs and they’re not as good a picture quality as a decent LED backlit LCD screen at half the price. But if you’re adamant you want a projector then go for some test viewings.

Home Cinema stuff is now pretty comodotised so not the black art it used to be. The cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive high end stuff. I wouldn’t pay much more than £60 on a BD player (don’t bother with DVD, it’s not HD) or a few hundred quid on a home cinema receiver. You’re far better off investing in a decent centre speaker and sub (the two most important channels in your system by far), you can save a bit on the front and rear left and right speakers – assuming you don’t want a dual home cinema and audio system, if you do then your costs will be more.

I detest Sky but have stuck with it so far because they offer far more HD channels that free-view, free-sat.

For content streamed over the internet make sure you have a very good internet connection as they will typically vary the picture quality to suit your internet/wifi limitations to avoid buffering, so again you’ll only be getting the best quality picture if you have a rock steady and good internet connection. And ideally connect via Cat5 or similar cable rather than WiFi.

I find Richer Sounds good for browsing to see what’s out there, then once you’ve decided on your kits’ make and model then you can shop around for the best price. People will favour different brands, the main brands are all pretty good these days.

Also if you haven’t built your extension yet then get the builders to sink conduit in the wall so you can change cables in the future as and when connection standards and types change.

Just my musings on the subject, others will probably disagree, it’s one of those topics!

cranberry
    Free Member

You’ll need a computer with Blueray drive to rip any films, or only a DVD drive if that is all the OP has, no ?

I got rid of my under-the-tv BD player last year after it had done nowt but collect dust for a few years. Accessing media on a shiny disc of plastic is not needed once you have a NAS/Plex.

summitchilterns
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. I love the sarcasm on here too, I should have said connect to a VHS or betamax, however I know some on here wouldn’t even know what they are! 🙂 Thanks again for the constructive help from some…

Cougar

Bah, Laserdisc is where it’s at.

summitchilterns
    Free Member

@wobbliscott thanks for the feedback. It will be a dedicated home cinema room and will also double as a kids TV room. I’m not fussed on streaming from the internet and will get services from SKY and VHS / DVD / Blu Ray* or other. More looking for any recommendations on speakers / amp / projector / cabling etc tbh. It’s a shell now so I can put in whatever I need into joists / walls etc

Thanks..

*delete as age appropriate

skids
    Free Member

have a look on avforums.com

rone

Projectors are fantastic. I’ve been using them for years. Your main prerequisite is to be able to get the room dark.

Beat the pants of most TV experiences. They can be expensive but it’s an easy way of getting 60″ and upwards. As for the comment about them not being as good as an LCD – that’s rubbish.

I’ve got a BENQ DLP short throw and it looks great with only its budget showing in shadow detail.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

What sort of budget do you have in mind?

summitchilterns
    Free Member

@skids thanks for the heads up…

Re projector, I’ve been recommended the BenqW200 (it works for the dist. from back wall to projected screen wall) so any real world experience of that or similar is appreciated. Maybe I should run a LAN cable too so I can stream if need be too in the future over the internet…?

Cougar

More looking for any recommendations on speakers

Have you any thoughts on placement? Ceiling speakers don’t really lend themselves well to a modern Dolby Digital or better setup. How much do you care about sound quality?

angeldust
    Free Member

DVD player is very 20th Century of you. Why not a BD player?

What you want is a 4K blue ray player! I’m amazed by the picture quality of 4K discs on a big (65′) screen. Not too many discs out yet though. UHD on Sky Q looks great too, but true 4K discs are a clear step up in quality. From normal (average UK living room) distances you need quite a big screen to tell the difference between HD and UHD (your eyesight may vary).

Cougar

Maybe I should run a LAN cable too so I can stream if need be too in the future over the internet…?

You’d be daft not to run at least one on a new build (as I said earlier), if only for future-proofing. You’ll kick yourself if you want it later.

Cougar

What you want is a 4K blue ray player!

He’s plugging in a video recorder, I doubt that’s going to be priority on a budget AV solution.

angeldust
    Free Member

Have you any thoughts on placement? Ceiling speakers don’t really lend themselves well to a modern Dolby Digital or better setup. How much do you care about sound quality?

Though if you have Dolby Atmos, a couple of ceiling speakers is exactly what you might want.

Cougar

True, but not just that.

angeldust
    Free Member

He’s plugging in a video recorder, I doubt that’s going to be priority on a budget AV solution.

Think he’s joking 😆

Without specifying £££, ‘budget’ means nothing in av terms (just like Hi-Fi). £500 is considered a budget av amp ffs.

In very general terms my tip for speakers would be to get a matching range (e.g. Monitor Audio Bronze) that includes front, centre, bipolar side rears, rears and sub. That will give you a much better chance of good av integration. Q acoustics have some great budget (in av terms) kit, and regularly have cosmetic seconds on ebay, if funds are tight.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Lots of good advice here already. wobbliscott made a lot of useful points (and some I don’t agree with 😉 )

Anyway, IME projectors are great for getting huge images and the quality that cost an arm and a leg several years ago. However, they are the least reliable bits of kit in the chain so I’d get one from Richer Sounds with a 5yr warranty – like an Optoma.

TVs are much cheaper now and the “break even” size seems to be about 55″ for decent value. Most PJs have to be run in the dark to maximise performance whereas TVs obviously don’t. If your room is dedicated you can improve picture further with a really dark paint scheme.

Get an NAS streaming to a £25 Android box for your content.

OTher kit – look on AVForums for used AV kit, esp amps. Bargains to be had.

Have fun!

summitchilterns
    Free Member

@Angeldust et al, thanks for the feedback it’s appreciated… The projector is £6-800 so that might give you an idea of budget. I was thinking of going for 4-5 ceiling speakers plus a sub as I want it to be quite minimal looking. Not sure if sound would be ok from that?… I’ll do some more research too…

RichPenny
    Free Member

+1 AV forums for good advice.

As many others have said, budget is going to determine where you make compromises.

As it’s a dedicated room, you would be nuts not to put in some ethernet sockets. Personally I would avoid ceiling speakers and go with a used matched set off the bay – speakers are expensive to ship so can be a used bargain.

For proper impact, I would say either a sub or some large fronts are required. You mentioned in-wall so is small and unobtrusive important? If you must buy new, Richer Sounds do some package deals on amp/speakers.

angeldust
    Free Member

As Cougar indicated, using ceiling speakers only will be utterly compromised. In fact, I’d probably go as far to say that it just won’t work. I can understand why you might not want other speakers though, due to the kids. A Bose style micro speaker system mounted high on the walls would probably work better than 5-6 ceiling speakers. Choose your receiver first, it’s the heart of the system, and will determine how many speakers you need and placement. Lots of ‘budget’ (£500) receivers will support 7.1 or 7.2. Spend a bit (or a lot) more and you have 9, or even 11 speaker options. Add Dolby Atmos in, and things get even more complex.

Might be useful to decide on your total budget before we offer more advice. If you are buying new, even a ‘budget’ ‘separates’ (for want of a better term) will cost a few thousand if you are including the screen. If speaker placement is that compromised, you may not be able to get the benefits on offer, and a cheaper option might make more sense.

summitchilterns
    Free Member

Thanks Richpenny… avoid ceiling speakers due to better sound quality if not ceiling mounted? Point taken re ethernet too. Anyone running Sky Q? Interested to know of you can stream to it reliably as well… I’m assuming you can otherwise how can SKY be selling it..

RichPenny
    Free Member

In fact, I’d probably go as far to say that it just won’t work.

It’ll work, it just won’t sound great 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

I’m running Sky Q. After a few teething problems perfecting placement it works great (main box, 3 minis, plus a signal booster/extender). Guy doing the install really knew his stuff, as he should for what it costs!

angeldust
    Free Member

Even the best ceiling speakers won’t sound great as fronts or centre speakers due to compromised placement, and compromised design.

summitchilterns
    Free Member

ok cheers, style over substance loses then!… appreciate the advice.

angeldust
    Free Member

They are perfectly functional as ‘effects’ speakers, rear surrounds, or additional front speakers. Not the best, but they do the job. They are too compromised for main front or centre speakers.

Have a google of home cinema speaker placement to get some ideas.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve just had an extension built and installed a TV & projector set up. It’s still work in progress.

Projector (Optoma HD151X) is mounted above the sofa. Installed a socket in the ceiling, 2x HDMI and a Cat5 running along the ceiling joists down the far wall to an outlet about a foot off the ground. Just used cheap 10m cables off Amazon (used ‘em before with no problems). A brush face-plate each end finishes things off.

TV is wall mounted on far wall – 49” Panasonic, on a cheap Amazon wall mount (have the same one on another TV – well cheap and rock solid). Socket installed behind TV and 2 HDMI & Cat5 running down to an outlet beside the projector cables. RigiFix bolts are my recommendation for hanging the TV – amazing things.

There’s 4x speaker cables running from the front to the back of the room (for 7.1), under the floor (Just used RicherSound/Cambrige cable – nowt fancy). I also installed a pair of long phono cables there too – originally to give an option to run the sub at the back of the room but used for a turntable at the mo. Rears are currently 2x small M&K jobbies.

The speaker cables are quite long and terminated with plugs but could be tidied up using a face plate. If I could be arsed.

The projector screen is currently a cheap Amazon buy – mounted to the ceiling and powered by a high level socket. I might box it in at some point cos it’s a bit ugly. It does the job though.

Front and centre speakers (Q Acoustic) sit on a unit under the TV which houses all the black boxes: Onkyo Amp, Sony Blu Ray and what not. Sub sits in the corner (M&K).

I toyed with ceiling speakers for Atmos but the cost and seeing how little they’d get used made me decide against. There’s a bedroom above too, so wanted to minimise wife annoyance.

Tips:
    Get an amp with lots of HDMI inputs and at least 2 outputs if you’re using a projector & TV. Seems more reliable than a splitter.

Install 2 HDMI cables in walls/ceilings etc – they do go wrong

Get a Logitech Harmony remote. Makes life a lot easier once you’ve spent the time setting it up.

Hide all the boxes away and use a remote extender thingy (cheap, Amazon, again) to control it all.

Wood burning stove is being installed next week.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Any AV experts in the house!?’ is closed to new replies.