Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any auto electrical types about? Help!
  • MrSparkle

52 plate vivaro van. Got a new stereo to replace the stock one as I wanted iPod/phone compatibility. Got it fitted at Halfords (I know, I know). On the drive home it became apparent that the stereo was cutting in and out randomly. The power went off every few minutes and then came back a second or so later. Nothing else seemed to be affected. I took it back and they tested it and they said it could be a loose fuse. I wasn’t overly convinced by this and when I picked it up the problem was still there.
    Took it back again. This time they tested the alternator (fine – constant 14v), auxillary belt (fine – replaced a couple of months ago). They put the old stereo back in and it works but they pointed out that now and again the headlights ‘blink’ and this seems to be at a similar rate to the new stereo dying.
    I’m now not sure what my next move should be. I think the new stereo is a bit more sensitive to any electrical problem than the old one and this is causing it to cut out. The headlight is definitely blinking now and again. I don’t think its anything that Halfords have done, but I could be wrong. They will refund me for the stereo minus the fitting but that leaves me out of pocket and back to square one. All is really want is for the new bloody stereo to work!!
    Anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

geoffj

Bad earth somewhere

parkesie
    Free Member

Does it cut out when stationary or only when on the move? If on the move a good chance a conection somewhere is loose or just coroded/dirty. Check battery terminals alternator conections to start with.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Without knowing if it’s can bus or conventional electrical architecture. But What ever is causing the issue is very possibly going to damage the electrical system of the car of its shorting out the can network to the main frame computer (also controls the headlights) that network is fused conventionly and “spiking” can and will kill it causing non starts and or any other faults (read dealer only very expensive)

trail_rat
    Free Member

bad earth

short circuit

relay going bad

bad alternator – have you had it load tested or just static volt metre test.

slipping belt under load – due to steering pump or some other aux componant dying ?

suggest a good autospark – the good ones are really worth their weight in gold for these things as they have generally seen it all before.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Sorry that ment to read “isn’t fused conventionally”

MrSparkle

Cheers all.
    Just static tested. It looks like there might have been an existing problem and the stereo thing has just highlighted it, possibly. The weird thing is I hadn’t noticed the lights blinking before this happened. Halfords were pushing me to book it into their garage next to the branch but I demurred. Our local friendly garage has a couple of ex-Vauxhall lads so I’ll ask them for a bit of advice I think.
    I thought it was conventionally fused, btw.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

In a similar fashion I’ve seen a badly/wrongly fitted phone kit that caused the wipers the active when the phone rang. The radio is/has a normal fuse BUT if it is can network then those two wires won’t be…
    The main point is if the fault was or wasn’t present before the radio install. Good luck.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Without knowing if it’s can bus or conventional electrical architecture.

or linbus or flexray or the other latest flavor of the day is. Its more likely to be a power issue than a bus issue unless there is a BCU or similar that is damaged.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any auto electrical types about? Help!’ is closed to new replies.