• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TP.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Any Audaxers in the house.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Recently done a couple of 200K Audax’s and really enjoyed them. What do folks carry.? I have come in from a very minimalist roadie background so apart from tubes, food and money I don’t really carry anything else but I see a lot of the others carrying the kitchen sink. Am I missing something.? Have the others learnt the hard way.? I have been lucky so far as the weather has been freezing so there is no decision making when it comes to clothes and therefore no need to carry two wardrobes.

davidjey
    Free Member

Nope, you don’t have to carry the kitchen sink. For a 200 I’d make sure I had two tubes instead of one, that’s about it. 300s/400s* I’d take a bit more stuff, spare warm layer in case you are standing around at dusk/dawn/midnight fixing a mechanical. Spare gloves and a spare buff are a godsend too if the weather is changeable.

*which is as far as I go, thankyouverymuch, proper audaxists will be along in a minute I’m sure

ton

done a fair few over the years.
    2 tubes, pump, multitool, repair kit, base layer, waterproof and cash.
    use the controls, and head for maximum time for my money……… 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimc101
    Free Member

Have been riding audaxes for the last 4 years or so, and have cut down over the years on what I carry, but if doing a new route in bad weather will still carry far more than on a familiar route with sun forecast. Knowing where you can get food, possible bail out points or just a familiar riding area make a difference to what you need.

I do carry a decent amount of tools though, and all have been used at some point, for me or on others bikes.

MoreCashThanDash

Done a few 100s and 150s, did my first 200k last year.

It’s really weather dependent how much you need to carry. I always have two tubes, tyre levers, patches, multitool and SRAM Power Links and a multi tool in a small saddle bag, and the pump on the frame. Beyond that it depends how the weather may change.

Phone, waterproof, keys, cash and brevet card go in pockets

Have to say I rode an event on my CX commuter last year and borrowed a rack top bag. Not having anything in my pockets at all felt really nice. I’m think of a bigger Carradice saddlebag with a Bagman support if I get as far as 300k rides where I might want to add or remove layers, which is looking increasingly unlikely the way the year is panning out.

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, it depends on when and where you are riding.

For food, you can usually buy enough at shops or cafes along the way. But in remoter parts of the country, it could be some distance between them. Or they may all be closed on a Sunday afternoon. I like to carry plenty of food, as I’m not always keen on whatever the shops have.

Depends on the weather, but a waterproof jacket is usually a good idea. Arm warmers/leg warmers are handy if it gets colder, and easy to carry. For longer rides, it can get rather cold in the middle of the night, so worth having some spare clothes.

I once carried a bivvy bag on a 600K audax, but I didn’t have to use it…

houndlegs
    Free Member

CraigW,how long did 600k take you? Give us a quick talk through please.

oldgit
    Free Member

For 200/300/400/600km always a small bar bag.
    Pump on frame, and a waterproof under the saddle if it looks a wet day.

Bag contains 2 tubes, patches, Alan keys, splitter. spoke key, 2 bars, piggy back garmin battery, wool gloves if cold, spare link, Brevet card, cash etc.

Food isn’t a problem.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I like to carry the kitchen sink. That has on occasion included two spare tyres three spare tubes, two extra layers of clothing and a shed load of food. I find that I enjoy it more and do better if I just bounce controls and graze on food as and when i fancy it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Only done one, and it was 1400km, so a bit different.
    Frame bag for pump, tubes, puncture kit, multi-tool, spokes, ibuprofen and paracetamol.
    Top-tube bag for GPS, dynamo-usb charger, phone, jelly babies, electrolyte tablets.
    bar bag for coat, alternative gloves, arm/leg warmers, sunglasses, brevet card.
    Seat-pack for spare set of clothes (shorts, socks, jersey) , sleeping bag liner, toothbrush.

mtbel
    Free Member

only ever done local Audax’s as I don’t really see the point in driving my bike anywhere to ride roads, but I do ride 85-120 mile loops fairly regularly solo (day and night). 1 bottle and pump on frame (as always) tubes/patches and multi tool in one pocket, phone, money and keys in another. food in the other is all I ever take.
    Don’t see why you’d want anything more just because it’s an audax. not for upto 200km anyway.

butcher

I carry the same as what I would on any road ride. Whether you’re 20 miles from home or 100 miles from home you’ll be in the same predicament if you get stuck.

Might pack a bit more food, but that’s about it. That’s the only thing you need on a longer ride – more fuel.

You could justify taking more on over 400k though. Once you get into those distances, you’re pretty much touring!

jonba
    Free Member

On rides 200k I use standard roadie setup and make sure I take 2 tubes and a decent tool. I’ve done one 300k and the only extras were food and water which I collected at stops.

Got a 500k planned this year and again, standard roadie setup with stops planned for food and water. Early start so arm warmers and a light weight jacket most likely. SLightly larger saddle bag is an option if the weather looks bad. I’ll let me put in a thin extra layer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

depends on the time of year.

food: probably too much.
    armwarmers/ hat/ jacket
    tubes/ multi tool (w chain tool)/ zip ties / tyre boot pump patches levers.

i saw an old boy on a 100 pull out a full size can of WD40 and give some thing a spray. bit unnessecer if you ask me.

know some people carry spare cables/ brake pads/ tyres. seems a bit unnessecery for shorter rides.

CraigW
    Free Member

CraigW,how long did 600k take you? Give us a quick talk through please.

It was a time limit of 42 hours, I think I took about 41 hours. Including one stop to sleep for about 5 hours or so, plus a few other breaks.
    That was a few years ago, I’ve not done any really long rides for a while.

highlandman
    Free Member

Guys, please don’t take Ibuprofen on audax length events. It’s really bad for kidney health when you’re in extended fluid stress. I’ve dealt with a couple of kidney failures in ultra events and it isn’t pretty.
    Plus, you’re doing a long event- it’s supposed to hurt!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Loaded for the LEL:

Ibuprofen was fine, I was eating 6 massive meals a day, drinking a litre of water an hour and feasting on jelly babies constantly for the 4 days.
    The 20 hours I spent midway with caffeinated isotonic tablets in my water sent me to some strange places though. I did cover 400km, only stopping at check points and to take on more food and water.

TP
    Free Member

A slight hijack. Can anybody recommend an affordable audax/light touring style bike with upgrade potential? My body is slowly being rattled to bits by mountain biking and I fancy spending time on these sorts of rides.

boxelder

Nice little Adventure Show clip here
    Some of them are carrying plenty – probably anti-midge measures

Waderider
    Free Member

TP, I’m not really an audaxer, but I knock off fair mileages on a Planet X Kaffenback built up with drop bars, 105 groupo and triple chainset, full guards etc.

TP
    Free Member

Waderider – Thanks, I’ll take a look. I have an old road bike buts its an arse in the air job with a compact frame. I’d like something a bit more stately so I can admire the Scottish landscape as it rolls past.

MoreCashThanDash

TP – I’m using a Giant Defy 1 bought cheap in the sales, but I’ve also done 150k audaxes on my Pinnacle Arkrose CX commuting bike – disc brakes, full guard and rack mounts, 32mm slicks it was great. With 28mm slicks and lighter wheels it would make a great audax/light tourer.

Although as I keep explaining to MrsMC only and Enigma Etape Disc will do…..

oldgit
    Free Member

Used a Defy 2 on all my rides up to 600km, it’s upgraded and was spot on.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ribble winter/ audax frame, strong, light wheels and the groupset of your choice. I have stuck with my old 9 speed tiagra for this build as replacement parts are cheap as chips and readily available. Takes full length guards and a rack if needed.

andrewy

TP, I recently built up a Ribble steel audax frame for just this kind of thing. It’s good value, comfortable and ticks all the light touring / audax boxes. I’m planning to do my first audax in the spring.

MoreCashThanDash

The alloy Ribble bikes are great value but 25mm tyres are a squeeze – think they are sold as 23mm max.

The steel Ribble does look nice though.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The alloy Ribble bikes are great value but 25mm tyres are a squeeze – think they are sold as 23mm max.

I’ve done the last four winters on 23c’s and have never had a problem.

oldgit
    Free Member

nielsonwheels is that the Severn Across

MoreCashThanDash

I just find 25s more comfy – that alloy Ribble can be a little harsh if you are fat and unfit like me.

andrewy – I really like the look of your bike. What bag/mounting system have you got there?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Oldgit it certainty is. Driven over it hundreds of times but never cycled. I didn’t realise the thing moved about so much, I had chain slap while taking that photo.

andrewy

MCDC, it’s a Carradice Barley on the quick release, alloy bagman support. You’re supposed to fit a couple of extra struts to the bagman, but they look pretty naff, and it seems ok without them. If I really load up for a tour, then I might fit them. Works well though.

MoreCashThanDash

Ta, I’ve been dithering for a year about getting one, really ought to decide and get on with it.

TP
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, plenty of research to be done.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Any Audaxers in the house.?’ is closed to new replies.