Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any artists? Paint recommendation.
  • hunterst
    Free Member

After years of putting it off, I have decided i want to have a go at painting on canvas and would like to give it a go with acrylic paint.

Should i be looking at any particular brand of paint over another or is it all pretty much the same thing?

Nico
    Free Member

If you are “giving it a go” then don’t spend too much. I’d get a set from W H Smiths. Better paints have better pigments but this isn’t such an issue with acrylics. I’d be fussier with watercolour. You say you want to paint on canvas but with acrylics you can paint on old bits of cardboard or hardboard, ideally primed with some cheap white emulsion. It encourages you to get the miles under your belt if it isn’t costing much.

Like so many things once you get into it and know what you want you can spend more. Most paint makes do a student and an artist range. Acrylics do go solid if not used.

Once thing I’ve found with acrylics is that they dry very quickly during use so get some stuff to slow down the drying time.

ctk
    Free Member

It depends on what type of painting your doing. If doing from life landscapes or still lifes etc cheap acrylics can look reaaly crap imo- dull and matt.

(Cheap oils are OK.)

Maybe Windsor & Newton?

Paint sets

Agree with above a medium to mix the paint with is a good idea.

If you are giving it a go after ages then dont expect the first canvas to be good! Keep trying. Also having an artist or painting to copy is imo a good idea just to get started.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wherever possible buy artist’s quality paints, even with a limited palette. The pigments mix more completely giving a wider spectrum. WInsor and Newton would by go to brand for oil and watercolour, though Liquitex had a following when I was a student fior acrylics.

Acrylics have a lifeless quality when dry, unlike watercolour or oil.

cheers_drive

I’m not an artist but I do lots of work with the brand owners of Winsor and Newton and Liquitex. W&N’s offering is more a acrylic alternative to oil where as Liquitex is a whole system which compatible / mixable across soft and heavy body paints, inks, markets, and spray. It also has a huge range of mediums / additives to alter the properties of the paint or add effects and texture. This is where it gets more creative than oils.

hunterst
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and tips.
    Much appreciated.

I’m going to order some cheaper paints and small canvases just to get a bit of practice in and see if i can get into a groove with it.

Been wanting to do this for years but have just never quite got round to it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any artists? Paint recommendation.’ is closed to new replies.