Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any Apple / Fruity experts in the house?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have three large apple trees. Having tried them they aren’t sweet, edible but perhaps more cooking apples. Anybody on here know enough to identify them? I get a massive crop and want to do something with them.

Random question of the day!

simon_g

Cider. Crumble.

andytherocketeer

could be anything.

are all 3 identical, and are they on a rootstock? or different and grown from seed? and do they go red?

doesn’t look ripe to me.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the three are different and the ones in the picture never go red. we get so many of these, the tree is taller than the bungalow behind us.

Last year I put a box outside the house ‘free apples’ or composted them. I just wanted to find out what they were and do something more useful with them. I’d like to know the variety to see what I might best do with them.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

simon_g – Member
    Cider

this

apple press

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Look like good old cooking apples to me. Bramley or similar. Pies, crumbles, apple sauce, chutneys, bake them with sugar and raisins, halve them and chuck them in with onions and your roast pork, stew them with sugar, stew and freeze them.

andytherocketeer

wouldn’t have said bramley.

if it’s not on a rootstock, and grown from seed, then it’s a unique mongrel. but it’ll inherit some traits from whatever it came from. all 3 could even be 3 pips from the same apple.

if it is on a rootstock, it could be anything. might even be a long lost variety that needs to be preserved.

i’d check the National Fruit Collection database for something similar. Maybe they do open days or something where you can take them along?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Bramley or not, my point was that it’s a cooker, and all cookers have pretty much the same uses. 🙂

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Pretty sure they aren’t Bramley’s but they are probably cooking apples… considering how much fruit they produce I couldn’t possibly bake that many pies!!!!

The apple press appeals.. ti_pin_man Cider.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any Apple / Fruity experts in the house?’ is closed to new replies.