Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any Android App programmers know if this is possible???
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

I have an app, within the app is an embedded database of questions.

I basically want that database but have no idea what I am looking at!!

I have managed to decompile the .apk file and have been greeted with numerous folders, most of which in smali….. and thats where my skill set stops!

Is it likely to be possible to get at this database??

julians
    Free Member

I think android uses MySQL, so in theory should be possible to get the database file and copy it to your pc and access it with a MySQL instance. However it may require a username/password that you probably don’t know.

Its probably also against the terms and conditions of the app to extract the data, but I guess it depends what you’re going to do with the data.

jam1e
    Free Member

The database isn’t stored within the application itself.

You would need to root your device to give yourself access to the data directories.

For example the BBC weather app stores databases in the root/data/data/bbc.mobile.weather/databases folder.

Database files end with the extension db and are usually SQL Lite databases.

GrahamS

Seems a pretty complicated way to cheat. Wouldn’t it be easier to just Google for the answers?

smurfly13
    Free Member

Ha – its actually the questions themselves I want for the future – they are multiple choice and tell you the answer anyway!

I have a rooted device, managed to pull the apk file and data from the device, decompiled it and found the file!

Here was me thinking it would be in a nice easy to use database, but its actually in text on a JSON file that I guess the app uses the code within the file to display multiple choice and let you know the answer….. now I have to make this JSON file usable!! ARGH!!!!

chambord
    Free Member

Is it Akinator?

I’d have thought It’ll be stored as a tree so json makes sense doesn’t it?

smurfly13
    Free Member

Just googled Akinator and no – but that looks fun.

Its a revision app, that uses multiple choice questions to test your knowledge.

The JSON file appears to be in sections with the 4 possible answers (one marked as true), the responses if you get it correct or incorrect and the question narrative… seeing as its already written in java I can imagine that some how this can be read in its current form and displayed perfectly!

chambord
    Free Member

Oh OK I just assumed it was akinator because I have considered doing that (Though I think they store their data online), in that case it probably isn’t a tree structure if the questions are independent.

Anyway have fun picking it apart with no documentation!! (I’m not jealous) 🙂

EDIT: Just use a JSON lib (Doesn’t have to be java pick your favourite language I’m sure there will be a mature JSON library – I’ve used jsoncpp which was easy enough if you use c++).

IA

Can you not just get the app source and use that?

Or are you really asking in here for help in stealing someone else’s work/IP?

chambord
    Free Member

I understand he’s just picking apart a plain text file that’s installed along with the app.

EDIT: But admittedly I don’t know what the license is so you have a point.

smurfly13
    Free Member

I already have the app and access to the questions – but need them on PC rather than integrated!!

IA

Right, but just because you have a copy of something doesn’t give you a right to reverse engineer and redistribute it. E.g. Photos online, text in books etc.

Why not run the app on the emulator?

Flaperon

Android apps often use an SQLite database. Look for a .SQLite extension.

jimster01

Is there any way of deleting APPs I don’t use?

chambord
    Free Member

Is there any way of deleting APPs I don’t use?

Lots of ways, easiest is probably tap and hold on them in the menu and drag to the “Uninstall” thing that appears at the top of the screen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any Android App programmers know if this is possible???’ is closed to new replies.