Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any air traffic controllers on here?
  • zippykona

With the threat of cyber attacks, how difficult would it be to go back to a system with no computers?

twixhunter
    Free Member

I think spacings would be greater, more manual processes to ensure less risk etc. Use of paper flight strips reintroduced. I don’t think local radar would be affected and nigh on impossible to hack along with other tech. Radio contact wouldn’t really be affected from what I understand either.

Sandwich

Given that the Huff Post has reported Orly is using Windows 3.1 as the OS for their air traffic control system not hard at all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re going to need to get to the outer marker.

airtragic
    Free Member

Local stuff, not so much. Our radars are about 30 years old! Peripheral stuff like info displays might be susceptible, but on the military side, our comms, approach aids and sensors (the important bits) are probably protected by their age! En-route stuff, much higher tech and therefore probably more susceptible. Paper flight strips and enhanced use of the military kit for civil aircraft would greatly reduce the system’s capacity.

mrchrispy

1st rule about flight club……

riddoch

I thought the paper strip system was kept in a cupboard in case of system failure, due to power cuts, crashes that sort of things.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any air traffic controllers on here?’ is closed to new replies.