Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any aerial fitters in?
  • tonyd

Moved in last December and have been using the satellite dish that was already there to run a freesat box. The dish is fitted to a pole that is attached to the gable end of the house. There is a very old looking aerial strapped to the chimney, it looks like it probably hasn’t been used for years. The last owner lived here for 35 years and was a Sky customer so it’s likely the aerial has been unused for 10+ years.

I’m thinking of fitting a new aerial and running new cables to the various points through the house where they might be needed. It would probably be easier to run the cables externally rather than trying to get them through floors etc.

My question to the STW is, can I mount a new aerial on the same pole as the satellite dish? I’m not concerned about the weight as the brackets are very sturdy. I might need to fit a slightly longer pole and would most likely fit the aerial above the dish (so I don’t have to join/extend cables to the dish).

I *think* that the best transmitter is about 60 degrees west of where the dish is pointing so I’m hoping I can stop them interfering with each other too much.

Ta!

granny_ring

I think Ton is the one who knows about this sort of stuff.

properbikeco
    Free Member

of course you can – next!

pk13

Yes if it’s a steel s pole just don’t move that dish..
    Might be a tad iffy if it’s an ally pole but it’s should be steel if sky put it up

jota180
    Free Member

They won’t interfere at all, go for it but use well shielded cable
    Depending on the TV transmitter, you could have some very close frequencies running down the cables but it’ll be fine pre-cable

ton

it will be fine
    and i can supply all you need at trade.

tony 01132633500

tonyd

I just saw the replies, thanks folks.

Ton – I’ll drop you a line in the next month or two if that’s OK. We have building work going on at the moment so I need to make sure we have some money left 🙂

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Ton, by chance you from west midlands? Might get a quote for aerial installation.

tonyd

Area code on that number looks like Leeds.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You could stick a DAB areal on there while you’re at it just in case.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but are there any decent/recommended splitter units out there? I’m not sure what their proper name is, but I would like to run just one aerial cable from the TV and Satellite dish into a splitter in the loft so that for any future expansion around the home I just need to run additional cables up into the loft rather than routing more and more cables on the exterior of the house to the satellite dish and TV Aerial.

jota180
    Free Member

The Triax DDU112 is a good solid unit

Best to make a plan of what you want and what expansion capability you need before committing though

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any aerial fitters in?’ is closed to new replies.