Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • any advise on ssc replacement discs
  • yetirose
    Free Member

i want to replace my old discs that came with my long suffering avid bb7s , any body out there used the ssc discs ,the price seems really cheap, are they ok , cheers .

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

poised

sheldona
    Free Member

Thought you may of learned by now everything they sell seems to be crap mate.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would wait to a few people who have actually bought and used the disc's comment

you need to sift through the troll posts as soon as you mention SSC in this place

my only experience is the fast replacement of a product that failed and some of the brake pads which squeal in the dry but are OK in the wet. I can't help with the disc's.

I would say that I think avid's are pants and you should flog them on here an buy some fit and forget shimano. That's because it's what I did. 🙂

CountZero

Both my sets of Avid brakes, Juicy 7's and BB5's, and both my sets of Hopes, three years and six years old respectively, work perfectly. The Shimano brakes I've ridden with have all squealed, and they offer no advantages over any of the brakes I already own. I honestly can't see how a rotor can be a problem, unlike a set of pads; it either fits the caliper or it doesn't.

yetirose
    Free Member

thanks for your comments cheers hi ayotollaofniche

s8tannorm
    Free Member

It's a flat piece of metal, profiled to shape with some holes drilled in it. It'll be made in the same factory as lots of other flat bits of metal with holes in … I can't really see what there is to go wrong. If it turns out I'm incorrect and they aren't infact metal but cheese, send 'em back 😉

Grimy
    Free Member

I bought one of the SSC 180mm Vibe rotors when I changed my front hub from a centerlock to a Pro2. Looks good and works perfectly, Id say the quality is perhaps better than the shimano one it replaced, its stayed true and the cut edges are a nice oil blackend kinda finnish, lots of wet riding and no tarnishing so the steels good quality. Id highly recomend one for £13. Really cant go wrong.

As s8tannorm said above, there probably all made in the same factory as the rest of the brands.

I got a few sets of sintered pads off SSC too, after the shimano ones disintergrated in one really muddy wet ride. Ive been very happy with these aswell. Good stoping power, and the mud dosent seem to have fazed them either. I must have burnt a few hundred callories in the bedding in process though getting them really hot, still looks like it paid off.

Del

mtb-direct.com do imperial discs, one of which i've had on the front of my bike for about 2 years, ridden twice a week. quick delivery and they don't behave like weasles on this forum.
    having said that, it is a pretty simple thing, as above. it'd either work fine, or explode into shards of white hot metal ready to shred your body into millions of macerated pieces, so what could go wrong?

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I'm now wondering if there might be a market for cheese discs … trail side snacks will never be the same again 😉

Grimy
    Free Member

it'd either work fine, or explode into shards of white hot metal ready to shred your body into millions of macerated pieces, so what could go wrong?

Lmfao, Thats some imagination. 😆 carefull though, some lesser educated types might actually think it a valid concern. 😯

stumpy01

I would have thought that so long as the outside diameter of the disc is the same as your current ones, you shouldn't have any problems. Although, are all discs the same thickness? I seem to remember a thread on here a while ago where someone had mentioned pads binding because a replacement disc was slightly thicker than the original

And yeah – SSC pads are rubbish, ahem:
    I put some on in late March/early April this year and there's still plenty of pad left. This is unacceptable for organic pads that cost £5.
    As well as my normal riding around gritty Thetford, I've only done the Wiggle Enduro 6, a week in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, 2 of the 3 4hr Summer Series races at Thetford, 24/12, Dusk to Dawn, a couple of Peaks/Wales weekends inlcuding one a couple of weeks ago that took in Penmachno on the Saturday, Cader Idris on Saturday & the MBR at CyB on Sunday.

I won't be buying them again for a while – mainly because I bought 4 pairs in one go, so the other set should keep me going through most of the winter. 😉

rj
    Free Member

I've got a 180 one on the front and it works perfectly acceptably.

clubber
    Free Member

irrespective of the quality of their products (some are ok, some are cr@p), their behaviour is reason enough not to buy their stuff IMO.

eg:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-superstar-components-i850-seatpost#post-629857

Check out stoner's post near the bottom

steveh

I've got a few of the imperial ones from mtb direct too with no problems here and great service.

sheldona
    Free Member

My comment was justified by the fact the theyeti rose has had up to 6 sets of ssc pads fall apart on him :-0

But yes I agree what cold go wrong with a disc?? But this is SSC so anything can happen especially when you fit them with a rock.

clubber
    Free Member

Isn't a rock the specified fitting tool for SSC components and use of any other tool will invalidate the warranty?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘any advise on ssc replacement discs’ is closed to new replies.