• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • any advice on how to save money (and not spend it)?
  • racefaceec90

i would really like to save up for a new guitar/amp,as i currently do not have either (am playing a borrowed electric guitar). the problem is that i have never been able to save money.any time i have tried to in the past,i have managed for a few weeks,but i always seem to find an excuse and spend it on something.i think part of my problem is that i suffer with quick materialism/reward syndrome (?!) .meaning that i end up buying something just to get it right now (i think that my depression has something to do with this problem).the only reason that i have been able to afford my bike(s) is that i have shopped at the same bike shop.i have always paid instalments to them (so i have no temptation to just blow the money on something else).at the end of the day i know that only i can sort this issue out myself,but any advice would be much appreciated 🙂 thanks and sorry for the long winded post 😳

fibre
    Free Member

Give it to someone else in installments until there is enough saved up(?).
    I’ll look after it for you 😉

I’m trying to save for a deposit for a house (which isn’t easy), I just stick it in a second account that’s a bit more faff to get to.

molgrips
    Free Member

Read the stopping smoking thread, and learn how to mtfu like those folk.

druidh
    Free Member

Send it to me and I’ll keep it until you have enough put aside for the guitar & amp.

But basically, Grow TFU.

RealMan
    Free Member

i suffer with quick materialism/reward syndrome

Called self control. Open a separate bank account and chuck it in there. Or just realise that you won’t get what you want unless you have enough to buy it.

Or get a job that literally pays more then you can spend.

project
    Free Member

Still living at home with parents then….

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I put any money I want to save into my savings account.
    Doesn’t have a debit card or anything associated with it so no impulse buying, and although it’s only a couple of clicks away (don’t like the idea of having to lock my money in an account in case of emergency) but its acts as enough of a reminder that I ought to be saving it!

racefaceec90

thanks for all the advice.the annoying thing is that i have given up smoking and drinking back in 2004.i just managed to completely quit cold turkey style.but with money i have always had this issue 🙁 and no i don’t live with any family members.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Direct debit into a savings account that has a 30 day withdrawl notice on it. There are loads of internet accounts that have decent interest too. That way it shouldn’t tempt you to spend it as set it up to go out straight after pay day.

Mugboo

Years ago my mate wanted to buy a house but didn’t know if he could afford it.

He worked out the mortgage + bills then payed it into a separate account for 18 mnths & hey presto, a deposit! before this he his mum looked after his bank card because he didn’t trust himself!

Myself, I started life on a YTS so I’m good with money. I take my satisfaction from making things last, re-using them or snapping up a bargain.

I just changed bikes by buying a brand new one then selling all the new stuff I didn’t need. I ended up with a new FS frame with new mechs and shifters for £264.00. The only reason I could do this is because I’m a tightwad.. 😉

brooess
    Free Member

2nd hand amp here

I’m selling my amp if you’re interested? 2nd hand makes it cheaper…

GJP
    Free Member

Open a 12 month regular savings account, where a fixed amount is paid in each month. Then you can’t touch it. Plenty around and you do not need to pay in a great deal £25-50 a month it soon adds up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘any advice on how to save money (and not spend it)?’ is closed to new replies.