Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Any advice for 10 days in Wales?
  • yunki
    Free Member

Hi all..
    We’ve been given the use of a wee stealth camper for a week or two later in the summer and we’re planning to head to Wales (no bikes on this trip)

We want to drive up north through Brecon (Pen Y Fan) and onto Snowdon, heading back down along the coast aiming to take 10 days with some fairly easy walking at each stop along the way.

We’re after spectacular scenery with plenty of stargazing and roadside overnight stop overs to relive a childhood adventure.

Any hints and tips to avoid the worst of the tourists?
    Where are our best night time stop overs going to be?
    What should we DEFINITELY not miss?

Thanks in advance

Your erstwhile favourite forumite

SaxonRider

If you go through Brecon, take the B4520 then the B4519 in the direction of Llangammarch Wells. The road is gorgeous! Indeed, the entire trek through the Brecon Beacons on the A470, then Brecon itself, then the roads I just mentioned, is stunning, and there are periodic spots where you can get out and walk.

Then, quite apart from that, once you have been to Snowdonia and want to make your way back down, I would strongly suggest coming down the A487 through Dolgellau to Machynlleth. That stretch of road may be one of the most beautiful in the world. Honestly.

This is just a taste:

From there, you jest need to head to Aberystwyth and your life will be complete.

Have fun!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Last year I took the train to Cardiff for a couple of great nights and then went to Tenby. I’d forgotten how great it was since my last visit 50 years ago..

IMG_0216

yunki
    Free Member

Thanks both! 🙂
    That’s exactly the sort of advice I’m after.

We did a similar road trip exactly 30 years ago in an old Albion Nimbus that my old man had part converted so that it had bunks and a kitchen. I was just a feckless teen back then, and his memory is not so good, so we’re not going to try to remember the route we took, but I’d like to squeeze in as much isolated, beathtaking scenery as possible as that’s how I remember the journey.

Lovely pics there eddiebaby

tillydog
    Free Member

Pack a waterproof coat.

What’s the moon doing? If it’s not around, and you can get down the Llyn Peninsular, there are some very dark skies (Porth Dinllaen is good, but not tourist free).

Keep off the A487 unless you *need* coastal views to your side / stream of shed draggers to your front.

Little roads inland of Dolgellau / Aberystwyth can be stunning – follow your nose.

ninfan
    Free Member

I was blown away with how lovely the area around Pembroke/Castlemartin was, a very different type of Wales than I had seen before

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Gotta agree with SaxonRider. The stretch from Dolgellau to Machynlleth and onwards to Aber is not to be missed. It’s absolutely stunning.

Take a waterproof and embrace the wet!

Envious, moi?

Ambrose

yunki- I moved here in 1984 and have never once wanted to leave. I’m in Carmarthenshire, right on the edge of the Black Mountain. It sometimes rains- so what, big deal, we just get on with it. It’s not a problem.

If you are in Brecon a leisurely drive to Worm’s Head (the very end of Gower) by Rhosilli will give you a wonderful trip from the mountains to the sea. Take the A40 from Brecon towards Llandovery but turn off in Trecastle towards the Usk Reservoir/ Llanddeusant/ Red Kite feeding centre. Then over Mynydd Du on the A 4069 down to Brynamman. Call in for a cup of tea! Off to Ammanford and the Betws or Garnswllt mountain road(s) will take you to Swansea. Aim to arrive in Gower in the afternoon, set up camp and watch the sunset over the sea.

Ambrose

This part of the Brecon Beacons National Park has a ‘Dark Sky’. The area around Carreg Cennen is really rather special. Castle+ cliffs+ open dark sky+ stars + WOW!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Anglesey has some lovely beaches. Off the A55 turn off towards Beaumaris. Visit the castle, spend an afternoon at one of the beaches a bit further on the island [Benllech is nice]
    Further up towards the north on the A55, Colwyn bay Mountain Zoo is fab. Great little Zoo, Conwy Castle is worth a visit if you are in the area too.

Pigface
    Free Member

On the coast, Mwnt, Abereidy Llangranog. st Davids. Solva

Mountain road from Llanidloes to Cemaes road the B4518
    also the road between Beulah and Abergwesyn. Just get a map and explore.

Have a good time

wrightyson
    Free Member

Id second carreg cennen, make sure you take your torch if visiting the castle. The walks and views around there are stunning.

BigJohn

We love Monknash. Great campsite (Heritage Coast) pub (Plough & Harrow) and massive deserted sandy beach (at low tide) a 20 minute walk down Cwm Nash which leads to the excellent coastal path.

PJ266
    Free Member

From there, you jest need to head to Aberystwyth and your life will be complete.

Agreed 8)

Elan valley is worth a visit, the mountain road to Rhayader from Aberystwyth is lovely.

danradyr1
    Free Member

As we’re as everything that has been mentioned is the waterfall walk at the top of the Neath Valley in the Beacons. A very impressive walk that ends up with you being able to walk behind/under a Sgwd yr Eira water fall. This is probably my most surprisingly impressive area (if that makes sense)

mrwhyte
    Free Member

If you do head to Tenby, try and go to Carew in the evening. Beautiful castle on the banks of the river, nice walk around the estuary and an old mill. Plus a great pub for afterwards.

You can often sit and see otters down near the Mill.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I moved here in 1984 and have never once wanted to leave. I’m in Carmarthenshire, right on the edge of the Black Mountain. It sometimes rains- so what, big deal, we just get on with it. It’s not a problem.

We must be neighbors. We had 100 straight days of rain a couple of winters ago. More than biblical! 😆

Any hints and tips to avoid the worst of the tourists?

It’s pretty much impossible to find any.

T1000
    Free Member

So many great recommendations already,

camp up for a night at Llanthony Abbey

beefheart
    Free Member

nostoc
    Free Member

Stay inland between the Beacons and Mach, you will have the best scenery and probably see fewer tourists than you would at home.

yunki
    Free Member

Hi all.

I’ve been poring over maps and checking out dozens of recommendations this last week.

Departure date is looming and I thought I might give this a bump.

I’ll phrase the question slightly differently though, as I’m discovering that we’re trying to cover a vast area of beautiful countryside and there’s no way to see it all!!

So… a more useful question (which some have already answered) would be – What are your favourite mountain roads in Wales? (Not in a Top Gear way as our camper has a top speed of around 50mph)

nostoc
    Free Member

1. Abergwesyn to Tregaron (or variations thereon) 2. Rhayader to Cwmystwyth (then take a walk round Hafod) 3. from Ponterwyd up round Nant y Moch and down to Talybont (basically the ones near me)

SaxonRider

I can only re-iterate:

A487 through Dolgellau to Machynlleth

You won’t regret it!

Rockape63
    Free Member

this place

http://www.porttalbotcameraclub.org/images/Placeholder.jpg

and this place

https://www.cardiffstudents.com/asset/Event/11505/RhossiliBay.jpg

are only a few miles from each other, but its worth passing the former to get to The Gower for a circuitous tour taking in the stunning beaches and doing a couple of walks.

easyrider
    Free Member

I can’t believe that no-one has mentioned the A5 through the Ogwen valley. There are a couple of good campsites on the road, as well as a YHA.
    Not to mention Tryfan (the most awesome scramble in Wales).

Taking the A470 down from Betws past the Trawsfynydd reservoir (some easy walking and cycling around it) with views of the Rhinog mtns inthe background (not much easy walking there though).

Also Barmouth is a cool place to visit, take the A496. Some great views of the Lynn peninsular (though much better view can be had from Rhinog Fach especially at dusk/dawn).

Or take the A487 as mentioned in other post, there may be some noisy jets screaming about on the Mach Loop.

St Davids is great (walk the coast path) but you’ll be struggling with time unless you love driving that much!

Have fun Wales is awesome!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Check out Strata Florida Abbey for some remote coolness, and the Teifi pools.

Also check out Pont Scethin for a fabulous remote spot that can be seen on foot.

The Mountain Road from Rhayader to Aberystwyth is good – and I actually like Aber as a place to hang out and eat.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Gower and Barmouth are always busy, although not Cornwall levels of busy. We’re not talking traffic jams.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and from the other thread – Barafundel Bay for a good beach in Pembrokeshire.

easyrider
    Free Member

The Cardigan bay area is nice too, like around Newquay. All the seaside resorts can get busy ish, but nothing compared to the rest of the mainland like Swanage for instance! Bets Y Coed is always busy too, as is Tenby.

JackHammer

Don’t forget your passport 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, being used to Welsh levels of business in the popular spots I was absolutely amazed at Whitby on a bank holiday. Unbelievable.

nostoc
    Free Member

the little road that leaves the A4067 at Glyntawe and heads north to Trecastle

Harry_the_Spider

Mwnt.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Mountain road from Machynlleth to Llanidloes, there’s a great viewpoint with a slate map of the Snowden peaks,then to Rhayader for lunch at Ty Morgan’s.

Then the mountain road from Rhayader to Aberystwith, could stop off at Devils Bridge.. Or a lap of the Elan Vally is pretty cool from Rhayader.

allfankledup

We holiday in Wales each year with the family – normally in the North, this year down in Pembrokeshire.

Pembrokeshire has some decent beaches – as mentioned above the beaches near Castle Martin/Stackpole are some of the nicest – we enjoyed bosherton lily ponds (better than we thought it would be), broad haven south (make sure you find the better placed car park for this!), the cliff walks from Porthgain down towards Abereiddy,fish and chips at hooked@31 in Fishguard, boat rides from St Justinians and a trip to Strumble head (might be more challenging in a motor home, we were in a t5 van and the lanes are small if you’re not used to them).
    The Red Kite Centre at Gigrin Farm Rhayader is a highlight – try to go there if you can
    Further north, Aberystwyth was a nice stop over on our travels – but apparently Aberystwyth is welsh for “there is no parking” – it’s a bugger to get a space.
    Even further North, I would go see Harlech (decent castle, nice beaches), train rides from Porthmadog, Petes Eats in Llanberis and a swim in the lake, the ice cream in criccieth, the beaches at llanbedrog and porthor – and an evening walk out at Morfa Nefyn (beautiful place – the village on the beach is a gem).

Caenarfon for a castle and a bimble round Anglesey.
    Loads of places to go – we tend to take sandwiches with us, so can’t really recommend places to eat out v. much…enjoy

Marin
    Free Member

Three Cliffs at Gower if you climb. A Welsh Thailand on a sunny day!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

A498 down the Nant Gwynant valley from Pen-y-Pass to Beddgelert. Nant Gwynant I reckon is the most beautiful valley in Wales.

Second Molgrips suggestion of Barafundel Bay for a fantastic beach

TheBrick
    Free Member

Head through the desert of Wales. Magnificent.

yunki
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We put together a lovely tour in the end.
    Stayed just north of Merthyr on day one before driving up past Pen Y Fan and then over to Talgarth for a wild camp on common land at the foot of Y Das. A hare strolled past the van doors shortly after dawn before we strolled up to the summit.
    From there we went up to the Elan Valley and took the mountain road from Rhyadair towards Aber, spending the next night on a little rustic farm near Devil’s Bridge.
    We visited Aberystwyth the next morning then headed to Borth to watch the sun set into the sea in the evening.
    Next morning we went through Barmouth, past Shell Island to Harlech, then on through Porthmadog to Criccieth as a storm passed in the evening clearing to reveal a stunning sunset with rainbows over the sea.
    From there we went through Tremadog up to Pen Y Pass, no walking up Snowdon given the weather though, so down through Betws Y Coed, Dolgellau and Machnyllth, past Aberystwyth and then down to Penbryn for another west coast sunset.
    After that it was a race to get home in time for work on Monday, blasting along the a40 at 50mph in crap weather with an overnight rest stop near Carmarthen.

We covered a lot of ground, got to know our little van a bit better and bookmarked plenty of places that we’d like to return to to explore properly at a later date.

Great hols, lots of stunning views and happy memories.
    Thanks again 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Any advice for 10 days in Wales?’ is closed to new replies.