Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • any accountants here? paying my wife a salary question
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Before I pester my accountant just wondered if this is possible:

I’m a self employed higher rate payer by about (in the higher band by about 10k), my wife doesn’t work but spends all day looking after our little baby and doing house jobs, and will be doing this for the next few years.

Can I employ her and pay her a salary for this housekeeping, or is this complicated to do?

Thanks

andyl
    Free Member

Maybe you can pay her to keep your office tidy and sort out your receipts etc?

mcobie
    Free Member

I’m assuming you’re a Ltd company? If you are then you could add her as a shareholder and pay her dividends upon which she’d pay no personal tax…the company would have no employer PAYE liability also.

However, she would need to have some sort of “job” to justify the drawings, which dependent on what you/your company does, could be the tricky bit.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I believe you can for admin and office stuff but not for “housekeeping”.

It has to be “reasonable” though and reflect the value of work performed.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Meeee, what your suggesting is allowable and also a BIK so you would be taxed on it. As others have said employ her for admin work.

Edit. Ignore that your self employed.

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmmm…

You could threaten her with the sack if she burns the tea!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Making her a shareholder is probably the least hassle, otherwise, yes, just make up a vaguely plausible job. Just don’t tell anyone…

EDIT: hang on… you do have a company don’t you?

RichPenny
    Free Member

As above, you can pay her but she would need to be performing a legitimate role for your business. I believe a lot of people have tried to avoid paying tax in this way and it could lead to an investigation of your wider activities. Are your books squeaky clean?

geoffj

Maybe she could become self employed (sole trader) you could employer as a subcontractor and as long as she didn’t earn enough to pay tax there would be non to pay, but she could be registering for NI contributions.

BEWARE IANAA and there may also be ir35 considerations to be made.

meeeee
    Free Member

Not a limited company just sole trader. Ah well I’ll just leave her as she is. Thanks for the replies though

hels
    Free Member

How romantic…. lucky lucky lady.

MoreCashThanDash

Hang on, you put a roof over her head and now you want to pay her as well? 😯

😉

deepreddave
    Free Member

You can employ her to do genuine work as in duties that are ‘wholly and exclusively’ in the performance of your trade and at a reasonable rate given her skills, market rates etc. There’s usually a number of things a spouse can help with or does on the admin side especially so have a think and go from there. Unfortunately you cannot claim a deduction for payments made for looking after the kids, being a ‘house spouse’ or similar as whilst they ‘allow’ you to work they put you in a position to do so which is not the same as carrying out the trade.

paulwf

Most self employed people I know have ltd companies so that they don’t pay high rate tax.
    Have you spoken to an accountant about that?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Most self employed people I know have ltd companies so that they don’t pay high rate tax.

+1

At ~52k p/a I’d have thought you could make going LTD worthwhile.

hs125
    Free Member

Are there no MPs on here. They seem to know a lot about employing family members in made up jobs.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Employ her as a sub contractor and get her to provide invoices. She will of course need to register as self employed.

She will of course have to do a job for you and that isn’t keeping the house.

nealglover
    Free Member

Can I employ her and pay her a salary for this housekeeping

Oh pleeeeease ask your accountant this 🙂

(And record the answer 😉 )

johndoh
    Free Member

paulwf – Member
    POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Depends on how you organise finances and what circumstances allow. After 9 years I still struggle to make being Ltd (and the additional hassle and lack of privacy allow) be more attractive than being a partnership .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘any accountants here? paying my wife a salary question’ is closed to new replies.