Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any 7 stanes ridable?
  • sherry
    Free Member

Went to GT today and it was a waste of time as the trails are a mess with fallen trees and deep snow. Any other stanes worth going to tomor or Drumlanrig?

sweepy
    Free Member

I was at kirroughtree on thursday and it was great

forge197
    Free Member

Mabie, Ae and Dalbeattie should be ok

http://7stanes.blogspot.com
    http://www.7stanes.gov.uk

druidh
    Free Member

sherry – Member
    Went to GT today and it was a waste of time as the trails are a mess with fallen trees and deep snow. Ant other stanes worth going to tomor or Drumlanrig?

If only there was some way to check the condition of the trails before getting there. Someone should invent some sort of inter-connected computer system where well-meaning folk could post up their pictures and words and then we could have some sort of search thing where you type in the stuff you wanted to know and it would all be presented on a screen-like thing. There might even be some money to be made.

sherry
    Free Member

I did check with the "inter-connected system" before going and the last update was the 2nd April. The weather hasn't been too bad over the past few days and I thought it may have cleared a fair bit. I think its fair to say the trails should just be CLOSED due to the current state. The hub and cafe are still open so they obviously still want some type of business.

druidh
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dry-and-dusty-trails-at-glentress-today
    My wife and I popped into the cafe after our walk yesterday and we bumped into a couple of friends of mine who had been out road cycling in the borders.

Oh – did you think they were only there to serve mountain bikers?

sherry
    Free Member

No I don't think they cater for just mountain bikers but there biggest turnover IS from MTBing! As the saying goes, if you have nothing good to say then don't say nothing at all!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We rode the coastal path from The Esk to North Berwick. Singletrack mostly all the way in brilliant sunshine. Then followed the John Muir Way to East Linton, and then the Tyne path to near Traprain Law and over to Moreham. A 6 hour ride with about a mile of tarmac.

The singletrack around Muirfield golf course is more interesting than most anything at a trail centres.

boxelder

if you have nothing good to say then don't say nothing at all!

He didn't not say nothing.

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

thebreakpad at Kirroughtree have a twitter linkon their site which they update regularly with trail conditions there if that helps – no snow there and riding well – we get the golfstream over here so we're lucky. GT looks to be jit bad. Missed out too on the trail quest event at Inners today cos it was cancelled 🙁

boxelder

we get the golfstream over here so we're lucky

Lucky? I'd be right tee'd off myself.
    😳
    Sorry, crap joke – well below par.

scotabroad

mabie is clear, Ae has diversions due to windblow.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I think it already exists in the form of a phone number for the Ranger Service – see the 7 Stanes website.

bullheart
    Free Member

First time at Glentress today. Awful. 😕

wolverine
    Free Member

Laggan Wolftrax is completely clear of Snow with all trails open.

Northwind

"I did check with the "inter-connected system" before going and the last update was the 2nd April."

So since there's been no update, you assumed it had all changed?

banginon

A couple of windblow diversions at Drumlanrig but plenty of good fun to be had on the rest. Lots of happy riders here today.

scotabroad

Dalbeattie paths clear today, very wet.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Ae forest was okay today but sodden and miserable! Bottom small part of red has a diversion up a forest road due to fallen trees and there was an unmarked tree blocking the path at Bran Burn Bash which took me by surprise! Had to push bike under and clamber over to get past 😀

All the rest was fine, but very wet and slippy

italspark
    Free Member

plenty places to ride, right out your front door, try using your imagination or a map !

nonk
    Free Member

newcastleton was good on the weekend.
    was shocked at how good it is as i had read loads of neg stuff about it.

tandemwarriors

Agree nonk, for an enjoyable wee ride Newcastleton is very very good. Not epic, not bonkers hard, just enjoyable.

scotabroad

Just did Newcastleton, trail rides well, but rain torrential and horizonal!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Last time I was at Glentress I kept taking wrong turns because the signage was bad and had been covered up in a lot of places by race signage. Some sections of the red trail were very broken up and washed out but I like that more natural feel anyway. As 'OrangeCrush' says above: there is a number you can call on the website.

Northwind

Heh, if you think Glentress is badly signposted, you'll be doomed if you ever go to Nevis Range :mrgreen:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any 7 stanes ridable?’ is closed to new replies.