Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • any 5live fans?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just listening to Jane Garvey back on 5live with peter Allen for the anniversary show. We need to start a petition to get her back on. Never a drier woman (as in sense of humour) existed. Brilliant. She is truly wasted on Woman’s Hour!!

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Totally agree. They’re great together. Always liked Peter’s sceptical “hmm” when he doesn’t believe someone.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

That station should have been strangled at birth.

Jamie
    Free Member

That station should have been strangled at birth.

Oh hey everyone, Buzz Killington is here.

CaptJon
    Free Member

It used to be good, but is is essentially talksport for news these days.

mikey3
    Free Member

Isnt it supposed to be a that captjon? With a few hours of sport in the nights and weekends.Is it supposed to be something else?

brokenbanjo

5live is easily my favourite radio station. I listen to nothing else these days.

Harry_the_Spider

Same here. I even quite like the return of Chiles on Friday Drive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A few minutes listening to commercial talk radio will make sure you know just how good R5 and R4 are.

wagenwheel

Recently discovered 5 Live after getting a new car with a DAB radio. Makes my commute a little more tolerable.

muggomagic

brokenbanjo

DAB in the car is how I ‘found’ 5live. Go a DAB radio at home now too, that picks up all the commercial stations and none of the BBC offerings. Seriously annoyed with it!

bearnecessities

It used to be good, but is is essentially talksport for news these days

I’ll stick my neck out, but I understand that sentiment, although a bit harsh! I’d like R5 to be similar to R4 in terms of content quality injected with dry humour, but I noticed it getting really quite dross & sensationalist junk more than a few years ago. I’ll only tune in now for Friday afternoons and TMS.

I want to like R5

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used to listen to it a lot on my commute, breakfast and drive were worth listening to, post 9am I HAVE AN OPINION! slot was hard going

The evening documentary stuff was worth a listen too. Not R4 and pretentious and not some 12 year old on R1.

Klunk
    Free Member

didn’t Garvey jump ship so she didn’t have to move to Manchester ?

Philby

Drive with Peter Allen is great listening – love his dry, grumpy sense of humour. Find the phone-in rants in the morning a bit trying.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Used to be a regular listener, but for whatever reason this is all I seem to catch these days

Find the phone-in rants in the morning a bit trying.

and often turn off. Don’t know if it’s me or them. Do they still do fighting talk? Maybe my circumstances changed and/or I just moved on.

benji
    Free Member

Big fan of wake up to money, just the way to start the day at 5:30, always interesting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes but not with Colin Murray unfortunately.

binners

5 live is bloody brilliant!! After a days footy you really can’t beat 606

And Peter Allen’s hmmmmm’s are the ultimate put down. Paxman can only dream…

Jamie
    Free Member

I think my favourite show, is Chris Warburton after 606 on Saturday night. The guy seems fairly righteous, and some good news/tech/film/book/culture type stuff covered.

Oh, and Phil Williams from 10pm weekdays is good.

lister

I love 5live, but there is a slightly greater ‘tabloid’ feel to it at times in the last couple of years, but maybe that is in response to the commercial competion?
    As already said, Peter Allen is a legend.
    I think I’m in the minority to find Nicky Campbell quite witty and insightful too…he was talking to an anti-European caller the other day and he was brilliant. She was quite, quite mad and he humoured her in such a light yet sarcastic manner.
    My biggest issue is the the repetitive nature of their news updates every 15 mins, On the hour and half hour is enough.

Jamie
    Free Member

My biggest issue is the the repetitive nature of their news updates every 15 mins, On the hour and half hour is enough.

…and now Orna has the travel.

Monster 5Live thread on Digital Spy btw.

lister

Forgot the worst bit though. There are 2 hours between 9am and 11am on a Saturday when it is quite horrendous.
    That pillock Danny Baker has no place on the BBC, the man is a cockney arse. Even the music that he plays before his hideous mouth opens is nausiating.
    I’d like to hear Peter Allen telling him to shut up. With a hmm.

timidwheeler

R5 is excellent!
    Except Nicki Campbell and Tony Livsey 👿

loddrik
    Free Member

R5 is excellent!
    Except Nicki Campbell and Tony Livsey

Both excellent IMO.

thehustler
    Free Member

lister in line with another thread today Nicky Campbell came out with another great one liner today, talking about marriage/gay marriage/civil partnerships “I’ve been married for fifteen years and for some of those its even been a civil partnership”

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Listen to 5Live quite a lot. Like the mix of current affairs and sport although I do find myself increasingly frustrated at times with the need to curtail an interview after 5 minutes. There are plenty of times where you are left wanting a bit more meat in the discussion. Not the biggest fan of Nicky Campbell as I find him a bit annoying at times – usually when he is trying to be too clever. Also used to find Victoria Derbyshire very irritating although she does seem to have mellowed a lot more these days. Jane Garvey used to be great but I thought she left the show loooooooong before there was talk of going to Manchester. She had a couple of sprogs and I suspect the move to R4 was partly a way of getting a better balance to her life and when she was working. Love the Simon Mayo film review on Friday afternoons.

Overall I still love the station but do wish they would stop the incessant trailering of upcoming shows. Don’t mind them announcing what’s coming up but sometimes you will hear a trailer a few times an hour. Give it a break guys! 🙂

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It’s the only station I really listen to now. It more or less stays on all day when i’m working from home. Weekly highlights for me are Kermode and Mayo, Danny Baker and Fighting Talk of course.

muggomagic

Danny Baker is great. 606 is good when either Ian Wright or Robbie Savage are on. That said both shows are only ever as good as the listener contribution.

Coyote
    Free Member

Danny Baker is a radio GOD!

ocrider

Coyote – Member

Danny Baker is a radio GOD!

Talking of radio Gods, we have 5 live set as our alarm in the mornings and I find that Campbell is far more bearable than on the telly.
    Anyway, because of a technical error (it’s called 5 year-old daughter) radio 4 came on instead the other morning, which was OK until Thought For The Day.

That was the moment that woke me up, not in any spiritual sense, but one that Woppit would be proud of. I couldn’t change station fast enough 👿

jambalaya
    Free Member

Big fan. Just wish it was available on FM as AM reception in car is so variable. I’m not I to football particularly but always try and listen to 606 and as above I enjoy listening to Robbie Savage. I listen to it streaming via web when I’m abroad too.

Re Danny Baker, he’s ok in very small doses, I do enjoy the sausage sandwich game

ocrider

Brown sauce, every time

olddog

I started listening when I left the day job. The current affairs/magazine stuff on during the day can be really good – but the 9-10am vox pop I find cringe-worthy.

Sports coverage a real mixed bag – too much emphasis on premier league football and too much time to fill so endless repetition of non-stories and minor gossip. But some really interesting features and interviews when gets away from EPL.

On average I prefer to R4 – which has some excellent progs – but so much uninteresting middle class fluffing dross the rest of the time.

olddog

oh yes – and clearly it is brown sauce. Red sauce is for chips only!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘any 5live fans?’ is closed to new replies.