Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any 2.5 or b+ tyres out there a bit smaller than a 2.8 nobby nic for the rear.
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Just fitted a 27.5 2.8 nn to the front end of my strive and loving it, now it feels like the rear end just can’t keep up across the rough stuff with a spesh slaughter on it. Looking for something with more volume but still fairly fast rolling and not too heavy.
    Are there any new tyres coming out I should be looking for?
    Ive seen the new minion 2.4 wide trails but can’t find any details on how they measure up.
    Running easton arc 30 rims by the way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a 2.8nn on the front, but was too tight on the rear. Singlespeedstu recommended a 2.5 WTB BREAKOUT, been brilliant.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Cheers Nobeer,
    Not considered them, but they could be just the ticket !!
    Bit on heavy side but at least there shouldn’t be any sidewall issues.
    Have u measured them at all?
    By what I can gather they seem to measure a full 2.5
    Do u find it draggy or ok?

benpinnick

I’ve got minion wt 2.5s on at the moment. Great shape and super aggressive. Much preferred to plus tyres at the mo…. Mainly because they’ve not killed themselves in a hurry.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Just looked again at the minion wt as I didnt see the 2.5 as its the dhf, I was looking at dhr’s which are 2.4 but bigger the better.
    Are u running them front and rear ? How do they roll?

akira

I was considering a 2.4 continental of some kind as they are huge.

benpinnick

Ive go the Maxx Grip DDs (DHF/Shorty combo) on right now, and yes they are draggy but not more than I would epect for the weight/compound, The normal tyres should be ok based on my current experience. I will be swapping to an Ardent. 2.4/ minion DHF2.5 Exo TR Maxx Terra pair this week and I am expecting it to be good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Certainly not draggy Mark, at just over a kilo, it’s a lump if a tyre, but is fast rolling and has some beef in the side walls too. Looking at the tread, you wouldn’t expect it to be great in mud, but it has really good straight line traction on muddy climbs.

Only downside is that weight, but I’m quite sore on rear tyres, and hence have pretty much gave up on anything less than about a kilo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any 2.5 or b+ tyres out there a bit smaller than a 2.8 nobby nic for the rear.’ is closed to new replies.