• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by murf.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any 2016 Stumpjumper owners about ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Just wondering how they compare to the 2015 model.

Apparently it’s a new frame for the 2016 650b model compared to the 2015 model which was a poorly adapted 29er frame ?

Do any of you ride a 2016 carbon comp that can give me an insight as to how it rides.

Cheers.

renton
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crowd

johnw1984
    Free Member

Morning!

Yep, I’ve had two (one comp aluminium, one expert carbon).

They aren’t big bikes, so I would size up, or at least throw a leg over one.

I’m 6’2″ and I’ve got a large carbon Expert. I would say it’s right on the limit for me, could have done with an XL really.

I haven’t ridden a 2015, but I read the same things about the 650b and that put me off.

Compared to my last bike (Bird Aeris), I would say the Stumpy is a lot more agile and poppy! The SWAT box is a decent feat

I’ll be looking to change though soon as I fancy something a bit bigger in size.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I have the 2016 carbon Expert 6fattie (they are pretty similar), and have to say its an absolute blast. Mine is the 650b+, but other than boost spacing last year, I think geometry was close.

I’m still umming and ahhing about adding one volume spacer to the rear shock, as at ‘about right’ feel with pressure, I think it sits a bit low in the travel as I get more pedal strikes that I’m used to. It does have a low BB though, that I know.

I also get the feeling though Medium was the right size for me, I would be a little better on a Large (standover is low anyway), it does feel a bit short sometimes. Great for getting the front wheel over stuff though, so not all bad.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Johnw1984… In what way is the large on it limits for you ?? Length or seatpost height ?

pictonroad

They’re short short. I’m 5’8″ on a 17 Camber (same frame) and on a large. Wouldn’t want it any shorter.

It’s a bike you REALLY need to try. I turned up to collect a 2016 med. Stumpy that was up for a good price. Sat on it, no way I would be happy. It was shorter, stock than my medium 2008 Ibis Mojo with a 75mm stem.

Ended up with a large but I’m *right* on the limit seatpost wise.

johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s length mainly for me. I have a 160mm Revive dropper on the bike with about another 3/4 inch of seatpost still showing.

Plenty of stand over height on these.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have a 2014 Stumpy 29er Evo. I very nearly bought the 2016 carbon bike, but after pouring over the geometry spec and reading some of the reviews which led me to deduce that the 2016 bike was a fairly conservative update, I’ve decided to wait until the next model cycle.

I’m 5’11” and my large frame is a very good fit for me (it’s certainly longer in the top tube than my large Norco Sight), the half a degree difference in head angle and the small amount lopped off the top tube simply wasn’t worth it.

johnw1984
    Free Member

The past couple of years have been fairly incremental, numbers-wise for Specialized.

I’d say though that it isn’t all about the numbers (I don’t understand most of them anyway). The 2015 650b was a bodge job to get a bike out there, but the 29er version of the same year was widely praised.

I originally went to get that version, but they’d sold out everywhere in L/XL.

My XL mk1.5 Aeris was a bit too long for my liking, but I think the Stumpy is a little too short. Something in the middle for me next time. I actually want to test ride a few Orange to see if I get on with them.

damascus
    Free Member

My 2016 xl stumpy is a lot shorter than my horsethief was. Took a bit of getting used to but feels about right now. (6ft3)

I agree with everyone else that you should size up.

It’s my first full suspension stumpy so can’t compare it to the previous. Model. It does everything well and I can’t fault it.

sidders34
    Free Member

Rento ive got the Ali 2016 6fattie. Echo what gas been said above. 650b in 16 was a bodge with a headset spacer on a 29er front triangle. Lbs warned me off and advised 29er was much better. In the end i went for the 6fattie.

I’m 6ft woth shorter legs and long longer torso.the large fits me fine lengthwise but the max dropper i could get is 125mm.

I bad 2010 stumpy before. I felt at home on this straight away. The grip is brilliant. Where it differs feom the 2010 is it feels a lot slacker and more confidence inspiring downhill. Also a lot less flexy. The 2010 someti es felt it was going to send you over the bars on a steep downhill. I dont think you will go wrong with one.

superstu
    Free Member

Not getting on with the Codeine Renton?

murf
    Free Member

I’m 5ft10 and a large Stumpy fit me perfectly. My last bike was a medium 2011 Stumpy so I assumed the new one would need to be medium too.
    When I tried both I found the large a much better fit.

Brilliant bikes, I’m delighted with mine 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any 2016 Stumpjumper owners about ?’ is closed to new replies.