Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Antur Stiniog on Thursday so…
  • spw3

…which bike will I have more fun on? The two biggest bikes I have are:

Knolly Delerium (180mm/165mm)

or BigHit with 888s?

Don’t mind which I ride just want to have the most fun I can.

Cheers for any advice rendered.

spw3

wrecker
    Free Member

Rode it on friday on my hardtail (just reds and blues). Either bike would be suitable. I’d take the delirium but that’s because it’s a great bike!

breninbeener

Blues are best for me on my 160 enduro bike, as it has a bit of pedal required. The red is a choice between that and my YT DH bike. Black most fun on DH bike…..but thats just me. I see guys going v v fast on 4x bikes and big HT bikes.

These guys are much better than me 🙂

spw3

There’ll aways be someone whizzing down on a Raleigh Shopper but I’m not God’s Gift on a bike so I want to take the best suited bike for the job. I’m sure I’d have a laugh regardless, I just don’t want to think either:

“Damn, I wish I’d brought the BigHit” or alternatively:

“Oh my God this would be fun if I wasn’t riding the bike equivalent of a Sherman Tank”

spw3

spw3

@wrecker – yes, got it on a whim secondhand in the Spring and didn’t really ride it until this summer. Totems and a DHX Air. Maybe a bit mismatched – the rear shock felt a little out of its depth even after I fiddled the settings to death. Weighs about 38 pounds but doesn’t ride up or downhill like it weighs that much.

Might keep it as a summer Alps bike when a bit of peddling is required.

spw3

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’d go for the Delerium my reasoning is:

I’m no expert on it, but Google leads me to believe it’s a much newer design than the BigHit? Whilst the BH has more travel, I suspect the Delerium is actually the more capable bike.

I rode there a month or so back on my 160mm/160mm Cove G-Spot, it was perfectly at home on the Blues and Reds, there are some big rocks there, but few actual rock gardens (I don’t know about the Black trails) maybe 2, most of the rocks form drops and they’re really nicely shaped. There’s lots of smooth berms and tighter bits that will be more fun on a slightly lighter, more agile bike.I’m also no riding god.

One of my friends took his fancy new 650b Intense DH bike, it was really very very fast on all the trails, but he’s a much better rider than I am and spent most of the day riding Black stuff I didn’t fancy the look of.

nickc

Which ever bike you feel more comfy on.

while it’s not “massively” techy on the Blues and Reds, there are a few rock sections that require a bit of confidence.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I’ll be there on my Jekyll on Saturday. First time for me and looking forward to it.

Northwind

Can you take both? I’ve ridden everything bar the thing Of mentalness on my hemlock, there’s no barrier but I would have ridden it differently on my other bikes and maybe got more out of it.

sideshow
    Free Member

Was there yesterday on my 160mm Enduro 29. Could ride all of it except the thing that Northwind presumably calls the thing of mentalness, the tree gully drop of mentalness to its right, and the other thing of mentalness halfway down the double black.

That said if you want to play on the black runs then a bigger bike won’t go amiss. Not like anyone was riding 160mm rigs in the BDS there is it? Appreciate both your bikes are bigger than mine anyway.

sideshow
    Free Member

Take dual ply tyres though whatever you’re on. If I go back then I will be.

spw3

I’m already taking my Prophet so I can ride the Doethie Valley on Wednesday. I’ve got a big car but even I CBA to take three bikes.

Choices, choices!

spw3

The BigHit is indeed an old design (2006 I think) but the main thing that shows its age is it weight. After a major diet I have got it done to a shade over 40lbs. On the plus side it does tend to plow through anything I’ve forgotten to steer around.

wrecker
    Free Member

You will want to put in some pedal strokes. There are some steep bits on the blacks but otherwise it’s bloody quick!

spw3

Grrrrrr!

I have got nothing to do today except choose a bike, fettle it ready for the off and have beer- and I keep changing my mind every 5 minutes about which one to take. At this rate I’ll have to take the pub bike.

And you lot are not helping either! Where is the Singletrack Consensus when you need it?

spw3

beicmynydd
    Free Member

If you take your big bike you will be fresher for longer, if you catch every uplift you can do more than 15 runs. As you will be fresher there is less chance of mistakes that everyone makes as the day draws on, which lead to injuries.
    Looks like nice weather so the tracks will be super fast – Enjoy.

wrecker
    Free Member

Flip a coin! You’ll have a great time on either!

spw3

Damn, that means I have to take the big bike – which needs lots more doing to it to get it ready…but sadly not so much that I can’t do it if I pull my finger out and stop fannying around on here all day 😀

doubleu
    Free Member

I’m going on Saturday. First time. On my own.

Anyone else going on Saturday who I can tag along with? 😆

My choice of bikes makes it somewhat easier to choose…. Rockrider 8.1 or my Norco Range.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Take the bike with the best brakes. It’s fast so unless you are crazy or some DH god then you’ll be using your brakes. Brilliant day out, you’ll have a blast.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone else going on Saturday who I can tag along with?

Possibly might be going too, although not sure what day yet

pedlad

<mincer alert>
    So as an aside how much more gnar are the rocky red sections at A S vs say the Cane and Abel sections at cyb?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

DoubleU , I’ll be a trail fairy on a black Jekyll and a red /black 661 full lid. My mate is on an orange Turner Burner with a blue/ black bell lid. Just give us a nudge if you see us and we can gang up.

doubleu
    Free Member

DoubleU , I’ll be a trail fairy on a black Jekyll and a red /black 661 full lid. My mate is on an orange Turner Burner with a blue/ black bell lid. Just give us a nudge if you see us and we can gang up.

Great cheers, ill keep an eye out. I’ll be on a blue norco range and camo green/black 661 lid.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Calling DoubleU. Did you ride A.S on Saturday ? Unfortunately I managed to bounce of a stump using my ribs to stop at penmachno on Friday so didn’t ride 🙁 Went to the booking in area and told we can rebook another day. Shame as it was a perfect looking day.

doubleu
    Free Member

Yes mate, and you missed out on a great day! Hope your ribs fix up soon. I just stuck to the blues and reds. First uplift place, new bike and on my own. Didnt want to risk anything silly. Had great fun. Will definitely be going back 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Glad you had a good day, pretty gutted we missed it. We had a great day up Snowdon on Thursday and Penmachno was going well Friday, until we went into the wooded areas off the sunny fire road climbs, went pitch dark and just lost it. Hey ho, next time we’ll do it.

honourablegeorge

Thought I saw a Knolly on the uplift at one point 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Antur Stiniog on Thursday so…’ is closed to new replies.