Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Antur Stiniog – is it beyond me?
  • tomj
    Free Member

So off to North Wales in Sept and the good MrsJ has kindly booked me onto the uplift at Antur Stiniog for my birthday present. But MrsJ isn’t a mountain biker and I’m worried I’ve bitten off more than I can chew!! Is it suitable for someone like me who’s a good all round trail rider rather than a downhiller? I’m likely to stick to the blue and reds and wondered what they’re like. I can do most trail centre descents, some easy freeride stuff like the Gisburn Hope Line and quite a few of the natural ones in the Lakes and Peak District. The runs look ok on video but I’m aware these often ‘flatten’ things out. If its all rollable without compulsory drops and jumps then I’m alright

My current bike is a Scott 740 FS – will this be ok for the blue/reds or should I look at renting one of their downhill bikes? And do I need/better off with body armour and a full face? If so can I rent them anywhere?

Sorry for all the questions! It looks great but not sure whether its for me or should I cut my losses and go to Coed Y Brenin instead???

creamegg
    Free Member

We went up with a group of mixed ability. Everyone enjoyed it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Start on the blue. There is nothing too bad on that and no sudden drops/jumps. If you feel comfortable try the red. Its similar but more of it. From what you describe you’ll be fine. Only thing to be wary of is that it gets a bit slippy and a lot bleak in the rain.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Sounds just from what you describe your riding you will be okay on the blues and reds…….start off slow until you get your eye in and I would recommend a full face and armour if your prone to getting mad/fast/crash a lot! Seen some other riders on their first visit on XC bikes a little freaked out as they had gone with zero armour and normal trail lids….if you stack it at Antur you’re going to land on rocks of one form or another.
    If you run inner tubes take plenty and a pump, if you run tubeless take a spare tyre…or two….the slate can be hard on normal XC rubber.
    Most of all enjoy and ride within your abilities and you’ll have a great day.

SirHC

Would definitely recommend a full face and as a minimum elbows/knees (bodyarmour if you have it). Everything is rollable on the blue and red, the trails are good in the respect you can start off slow and build speed.

nedrapier

I went up with my wife, took the bikes on a winter weekend in a cottage with an aim to do some natural trails. 26in hardtail with 120/150 forks for me. 29er/100mm hardtail for her. (xc lids, no pads – nothing bad happened!)

First uplift day for both of us and we both had a flipping brilliant time. Stuck mainly to the blues with a few goes on the red. I really enjoyed the opportunity to properly attack, improve lines, build up to launching, push the lean in the corners as I got to know the course. And not having to recover from the climb, without saving something for the ride ahead and not being 100% sure of what’s over the crest/drop, or round the corner – usual trail riding/xc mode.

I loved it, Mrs loved it too, really improved her confidence, doing all the same stuff I mentioned there^.

The blues would be a red at most loop trail centres. Possibly black? dunno? A lot of blacks are reds + 15km of fireroads, though, aren’t they? 🙂

nedrapier

Google Martyn Ashton Antur Stiniog – he rides one of the blues on a specially adapted bike – gives you a great view of the trail. Plus it’s brilliant to see him back on a bike!

Edit – read yours again, you might have seen it.

If its all rollable without compulsory drops and jumps then I’m alright

You’re alright! – on blues and red anyway.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Went up recently with mixed ability group. 3 had dh bikes one was hired the rest of us on trail bikes minimal armour I was on a rigid we all had a great time.

Northwind

+1 fine. Some of our group spent all day on the blue and loved it but don’t feel restricted, the red’s not that much harder tbh.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

It will rain.

tomj
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – really looking forward to it. Can you rent full face helmets there or nearby? Don’t really want to buy one for a single trip

And I don’t think it ever really rains in Wales!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Bearing in mind a) just how sweaty an affair mountain biking is and b) that you’ll almost certainly end up hooked on uplift days after this one, I’d just pick up a budget full-facer and have done.

In fact, that’s exactly what I did a few years ago for an Alps trip, one of these – several crashes & faceplants later and it’s still going strong.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-comp-helmet-2014/rp-prod113734

Enjoy – full trip report please, I’m looking at making a BikeParkWales/Coed-Y-Brenin/Antur triple whammy weekend later on in the year!

nedrapier

Nearest smallish-but-decent bike shop if you need it: http://1868racing.co.uk/

The centre has got tyres, tubes and some bits in a cabinet (pedals stems etc) but it’s not what you’d call a shop.

Northwind

Maybe I’m a bit blase about it but I wouldn’t bother with a full face unless you plan to move on to the harder trails (or ride the easier trails like a beast). I wore mine for antur but only because I was doing the whole thing, I might still have worn it just for the red/blue but I definitely wouldn’t worry about it if I didn’t have it with me. It’s just riding your bike, if you’d ridden to the top you’d not worry about it- it’s only different on an uplift because you might do a lot of it and there’s not much downside…

TL;DR- if you want a new hat, get one. But don’t feel you need it, it’s a nice-to-have.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes you’ll be fine and I agree with Northwind, no need for a full-face unless you’re smashing it down the black or double black.

You’ll probably be fine riding the black TBH, but there are a few gnarly sections.

Mugboo

+1 for your normal kit unless you intend to ride in a way you normally don’t.

We recently enjoyed a wet morning and a windy afternoon there. I recommend you take your time down the red the first time to learn the line but nothing to fear on the blues or the red. I will need to head back to have a proper play on the jumps, they seemed perfect for progressing, damn you wind!!

We rode the last section of the black a few times by going down the left side of the hump. Those doubles are way out of my league though.

mcnultycop

The blues are ace. I can manage the red but the steep loose but at the start and one rock garden are a bit beyond me riding them properly. I tend to stick to the blues as they are fun.

mcnultycop

I’ve had a walk down the black.

The bottom bit after the stupid steep drop is all rollable.

Northwind

Mugboo – Member

Those doubles are way out of my league though.

We watched Danny Hart come up short on them and went, basically, **** that 😆

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I was at Antur today with little one,we stayed mostly on the blue and bits of the red.
    Full face in the wet and on the red bits for me also watch out for the wind! 😯
    You’ll have a great time!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Antur Stiniog – is it beyond me?’ is closed to new replies.