Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ants!
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

i ride at harlestone firs in Northampton quite a bit, often wondered what the ants there are.

they are 3 times the size of normal ants and make enormous nests

the big one below was 4 foot from the flat ground, and about 8 foot in diameter.

the whole place crawls with them in the summer.

apologies for the crap phone pics

neverfastenuff
    Free Member
    guido

We used to push each other in the nest hills at 'holsten' firs (northampton accent).
    Hours of fun. Also used to put them on tongue to see who could do it longest.

PS i dont know if you are from these parts and know this, but the firs has had a couple of bike muggings.

timdrayton
    Free Member

guido, i am indeed from these parts but didnt know about the muggings!

been there at some random times too, an i often ride alone, tell me more?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I had the misfortune to be riding on Cannock Chase a few years back on the day the Queens left the nest.. the air was swarming with them.. they landed all over me as I rode and got inside my top and started chewing… I now turn back when I see flying ants..

Zedsdead
    Free Member

"the big one below was 4 foot from the flat ground, and about 8 foot in diameter."

I think you need a tape measure…

jam-bo

if you poke them with a stick they start spitting formic acid at you.

timdrayton
    Free Member

well its top was level with my chest, and i am 5,5

it wasnt far off 4 foot

guido

There was a large group of chavvy kids knocking people off bikes and taking stuff-including a couple who had knives pulled on them and their bikes taken.
    Was a couple of years ago now-thinking about it..may have been sorted.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

you're looking right down on it in the first pic. Then it looks smaller than your wheel in the second. Anyhow, you'll need a lorry load of Nippon Gel for that load…. haha!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ants!’ is closed to new replies.