Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Anton Du Beke
  • 69er
    Free Member

I'm all controversial today… but ignoring the humourus 'fattist' thread this is a serious question.

Anton Du Beke has been pilloried in the press for referring to his dance partner as a '****'. But it's ok to refer to a British person as a 'Brit'.

Is it really that offensive to shorten a name? I've always struggled to understand this.

Can any equal opps. people shed some light on this. I'm not racist in any way, I just struggle to reason why one is deemed offensive and the other not.

While I'm on this topic, how come Kanye West can refer to '****' in his music while the rest of us would be lambasted?

I'm confused.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Chair – check
    Pie – check
    Pint – check
    All set – carry on

GaryLake
    Free Member

Well the word Brit has never been used in a derogatory way to such an extent – it's not the simple shortening that's the issue…

Second thoughts,

what breakneckspeed said…

grumm
    Free Member

**** is racist because of it's widespread use as a racist insult – yes in an ideal world it wouldn't have racist connotations but it's not an ideal world.

Also in the context he used it wasn't it – 'you're not a **** are you?' – implying there is something wrong with being a ****.

While I'm on this topic, how come Kanye West can refer to '****' in his music while the rest of us would be lambasted?

Because he's black therefore he's probably not using it as a racial slur against black people?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm confused.

The world's complicated isn't it.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Synchronise watches…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Its about context. "****" is used as a pejorative term.

"****" Kanye West is one thus can reclaim the word

Not a great explanation but its the best I can come up with. Its all about context and intentions – thus the circumstances the words are used in affect the way that they are viewed.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

Just seems to me a bit much for Pakistanis to be crowing on about racism when they generally hate indians and the only thing they and the indians ever agree upon is that the Bangledeshis are the lowest of the low, they should look at their own prejudices before harping on about other peoples

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

And 3,2,1, here we go…

grumm
    Free Member

OMG TJ just called Kanye West a ****!!! 😈

Just seems to me a bit much for Pakistanis to be crowing on about racism when they generally hate indians

Really good point, well made. I wish all these Pakistanis would stop crowing on about racism.

:facepalm:

Pigface
    Free Member

No really OTT replies yet, where are the lunatic fringe of STW? exhausted after fighting outside some kebab shop? 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

so if i was a c+#t which ive been called before, does this mean i can reclaim the word and sing songs about myself or other c+#ts and not get in trouble ? just wondered as i work with some right c+#ts and can sing quite well 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice bit of negative sterotyping there toomanybikes.

Pook

scaredypants

I thought kanye west was a ganstarappin' tossrag – or is that fiddly cents ❓

toomanybikes
    Free Member

grumm……….my missus worked in a day nursery in East Ham for 5 years believe me, all the so-called minorities hated each other guts, and it was down to race and religion.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just seems to me a bit much for Pakistanis to be crowing on about racism when they generally hate indians

Well that's foreigners for you. They're brains haven't evolved to think logically like us Whities.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

IanMunroe……….so tell me what the difference is

BigDummy
    Free Member

It is very, very difficult to rationalise all this stuff in a consistent way, especially the widespread use of "****". But it's fairly easy to spot a potentially problematic remark before it spurts out of your mouth if you've got a reasonably sensible head on. "Oh my god you look like a ****" just doesn't pass any sane person's filter.

And anyone who reckons they're "just" abreviating "pakistani" when they use "****" as a term of abuse is daft.

grumm
    Free Member

grumm……….my missus worked in a day nursery in East Ham for 5 years believe me, all the so-called minorities hated each other guts, and it was down to race and religion.

So because of some ethnic tensions between other nationalities, we should be free to be as racist as we like eh? If only we could go back to the non-PC days of the 70s where it was fine to openly abuse people of a different colour.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Tell you what what difference is?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Strictly come dancing! I dont know, if theyre not sadistically killing chickens, theyre racially abusing their dance partners. Ball room dancers – theyre worse than nazi crack users, I tell thee…

jojoA1
    Free Member

so if i was a c+#t which ive been called before, does this mean i can reclaim the word and sing songs about myself or other c+#ts and not get in trouble ? just wondered as i work with some right c+#ts and can sing quite well

You can't reclaim it, but I can 🙂 And regularly do. My friend and I give permission for men to use the word occasionally, but they must suffix it with the word 'bubble'.

firestarter
    Free Member

bugger jojo . (just a statement not a request/promise ;-))

toomanybikes
    Free Member

grumm, interesting, so because it's between people of the same skin colour, but different religions, and caste, it's ethnic differences, not racism, why is that? surely prejudice is prejudice.

grumm
    Free Member

A female friend of mine regularly threatens to 'kick you a new c unt' – she's a real charmer. 🙂

toomanybikes
    Free Member

Ianmunroe……..tell me the difference between pakistanis hating indians and say whites hating pakistanis………..or did i misunderstand your post

grumm
    Free Member

grumm, interesting, so because it's between people of the same skin colour, but different religions, and caste, it's ethnic differences, not racism, why is that? surely prejudice is prejudice.

Yeah there's still prejudice – but does that mean we should be prejudiced too?

Also, in terms of Indians/Pakistanis – there is a history of actual bloody conflict (for which you could lay plenty of the blame at the door of Britain). Doesn't make prejudice right, just makes it easier to understand/harder to overcome.

grumm
    Free Member

By the way, if I can be sexist for a moment instead of racist, Laila Rouass would definitely get it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

She's a sweetie. Is she the celebrity then, and this Du Beke person is the one that can dance, or is it the other way round?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Pigface
    Free Member

Grumm oh yes she would, very good looking lady.

AndyP
    Free Member

"****" Kanye West is one thus can reclaim the word
    yeah. taking it back.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Sounds like a girl after my own heart 😉
    Actually my mot de jour is cnuttybaws which is possibly considered less offensive and nicely combines abusive use of the sex organs of both genders, thus rendering it neutral in the sexism department.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

grumm……..don't get me wrong, I wish everyone would get on with each other, we have far greater things to worry about in this world than someones race, religion or skin colour, I just get fed-up with people harping on about being prejudiced against when it is happening all the time in their own countries.

And you can't lay the blame for the ills of the world on the British Empire, bloody conflict was happening before the British turned up and civilised them…….

toomanybikes
    Free Member

grumm…..I have to agree with your sexist sentiments

wheelz
    Free Member

Chris Rock explains…

NOT SAFE FOR WORK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui6-Wc0PDc4

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"And you can't lay the blame for the ills of the world on the British Empire, bloody conflict was happening before the British turned up and civilised them……."

Please tell me this is supposed to be ironic.

grumm
    Free Member

And you can't lay the blame for the ills of the world on the British Empire, bloody conflict was happening before the British turned up and civilised them…….

Erm, try googling the partition of India – 12m displaced up to 1m dead – created all sorts of major problems which are still going on today.

firestarter
    Free Member

aye id tap that 😉

not to be confused with tapping a cap in her ass

tho that might happen too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Anton Du Beke’ is closed to new replies.