Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Antivirus for Mac (OS 10.7.5)
  • stevego
    Free Member

My wife foolishly clicked on a link in a email and downloaded a virus onto her machine. Looking for a capable virus checker/remover which will work with OS10.7.5. We downloaded AVG, but the installer will only work with OS 10.8. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

euain

I think Endpoint for Mac should work (Sophos). There’s a 30 day trial so you can try it easily enough before buying.

I’m getting them mixed up – on the machines at work, we use Bitdefender Endpoint Security for Mac – this should also work on 10.7 and has a free trial.

somouk
    Free Member

Sophos offer completely free AV for Macs and lists compatibility as OSX 10.6 or later:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

verticalclimber
    Free Member

silly question how do you know its a virus, have been running mac dept for 15 years and last virus I saw was on OS7 .

we use clamx av and its free

jambalaya
    Free Member

It could be the max has just downloaded a virus file for Windows which won’t do your machine any harm. Anyway virus checkers listed above will confirm.

enfht
    Free Member

been running mac dept for 15 years and last virus I saw was on OS7

Which AV solution have you been running all of this time?

If it’s “none” then what’s to say you’re mac dept isn’t already riddled ?

Bear in mind the bad guys target the easiest pickings, which believe it or not includes unprotected macs.

steveoath
    Free Member

+1 for clamx

stevego
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Sophos did pull up one threat. It was an emailer virus as it sent out emails to all her contacts once she opened the attachment. Sophos detected Mal/Phish A but couldn’t/wouldn’t delete it. I deleted it manually so hopefully all sorted. Running the Sophos again now.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

back in days of old os 7 used to use big name brand forget now but since 10 came out using clamx av which is basically brilliant from memory used to be part of osx server software or it used to use the same engine . setup to scan all emails and downloads and user folder,library etc no proper viruses ever had just odd stuff tracking cookies etc and exe files which are pc only

mrmoofo

Sophos is pretty good ….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Antivirus for Mac (OS 10.7.5)’ is closed to new replies.