• This topic has 19 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Antichain Suck Thingy ~ Tomac K-Edge???
  • P20

I need an antichain suck device to save my carbon 456 chainstay. I’ve seen the Tomac K-edge, but I can’t find any to buy. Looks like a good option, anything similar?

Vern0n
    Free Member

A crafty bit of moulding with Isopon p40 has worked ok on my Cove but that’s alloy!

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have one on my steel 456 only called into use once and it did the job a beaut
    well recommended i got mine from wiggle

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P20

Salad do you mean the Tomac?

andyl
    Free Member

what do you mean you can’t find them? Wiggle sell them. They are the UK importers so pretty much only going to find them there. I want one but £30 is a lot for a bit of aluminium. Just tried to make something out of an E-type front mech bracket but it cant be flipped as it hits the chainring bolts.

Northwind

I’ve armoured my C456 with cable ties, seems to work.

The K-edge is clever, clever enough that I’ve copied it by sticking a bolt through my Blackspire Stinger in just the right place to catch the chain. Works a charm so far.

andyl
    Free Member

I have a load of cable ties too. But still managed to get chain suck the other week. Cranks are off now and not going back on until I make something like the K-edge.

P20

I’ve currently got this:

Custom Chainstay Protector by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

But I was cleaning the bike yesterday and it’s got a great big hole in it 😯
    I’ve now found the K-Edge on wiggle, cheers. I was looking under Tomac last night

stumpy01

I keep looking at the K-Edge for my Inbred and then not buying it as it’s quite a lot of money for what you get.
    Could probably get something made for less, but it’s just finding the time to measure up & get it done…….will probably end up just getting one of these K-Edge ones.

nuke

I keep looking at the K-Edge for my Inbred and then not buying it as it’s quite a lot of money for what you get.

I’ve just bought one for my Inbred 853. When it arrived I did think £30 for that! However, if it does the job and protects the chainstay then it’s money well spent imo….cheaper than a new frame or new chainstay.

I do what I can with my Inbred 853 frame to prevent damage/chainsuck in terms of zipties and deore steel rings but when the winter mud comes it’s very hard to prevent.

fadda

Hold fire!

I bought a k-edge for my c456, but the chainstays are so deep in profile that it has to be pointed down at some angle. This reduces it’s effectiveness, and I still get chainsuck.

I’m resorting to cable ties, but fwiw I mailed pictures of what I thought were some fairly horrible gouges to on-one, who were very reassuring about that part of the bike being very strong, and not to worry…

stumpy01

nuke – Member

I’ve just bought one for my Inbred 853. When it arrived I did think £30 for that! However, if it does the job and protects the chainstay then it’s money well spent imo….cheaper than a new frame or new chainstay.

I do what I can with my Inbred 853 frame to prevent damage/chainsuck in terms of zipties and deore steel rings but when the winter mud comes it’s very hard to prevent

Yeah, probably one of those things that you are glad of once fitted. It’s just that 30 mins with a set of calipers, a bit of Solidworks and a friend with a CNC mill would yield much the same result. It’s just finding the time to do it….

P20

Hold fire!

I bought a k-edge for my c456, but the chainstays are so deep in profile that it has to be pointed down at some angle. This reduces it’s effectiveness, and I still get chainsuck.

I’m resorting to cable ties, but fwiw I mailed pictures of what I thought were some fairly horrible gouges to on-one, who were very reassuring about that part of the bike being very strong, and not to worry…

Bugger. Just hit the button about 10mins ago. Oh well, will see what happens 🙄

wwaswas

I run my c456 singlespeed and having fitted a k-edge to my sons Cotic had planned to do the same to the 456 if I ever put gears on it – bit disappointed if it’s not going to be a goer.

Maybe I’ll have to go 1×10 and fit a chain device 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Wish I had gone 1×10 as I ended up buying all new stuff for mine.

P20 – I had the bear can protection -it lasted 0 chain suck – it’s amazing how much damage a chain does.

Fadda – got any pictures of it fitted? I didn’t think it was going fit. Damn. You just saved me finding out myself though as I had finally given in and was going to buy one.

fadda

I’ll take some pics tonight (it’s still on at the moment), and post.

Edit: I should add that I think it does help, but this is not as effective as it might be on a different bike. My chainrings seem to run very close to the stays. I went from 3×9 to 2×9, with the idea of moving the chainline out a bit, but can’t see how to achieve that; I’ve now got a larger (26t) inner ring that runs even closer to the stay than the 22t one did!

saladdodger
    Free Member

yep I have the K-edge jobbie tis the same as the tomac

andyl
    Free Member

K-edge make it. Tomac fit them to their bikes.

Fadda – I almost went 26-36 myself but kind of glad I havent now.

Will b interesting to see the pics. If you are using HT2 style cranks there isn’t really any way to change the spacing as the BB shell is 73mm 🙁

Is a double specific crank any better? no the SLX style with a bash but the XT or Sram ones? I think they fitted them to the whippet due to clearance problems.

oldfart

i’ve fitted one on my hummer if Tomac use them to protect an expensive carbon swingarm then it’s good enough for me .£30 ? yeah but it’s well made so……..

P20

An update on this. The K-Edge didn’t fit. It was looking relatively promising, but the inner chainring bottomed out on the K-Edge bracket before the crank arm was fully home.
    The set up was Carbon 456, raceface bb with no spacers, K-edge, raceface deus cranks and middleburn rings. I fitted a newer tougher version of the tin can wrap using a steel soupcan and the chain has gone straight through that. Off to look at chainrings….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Antichain Suck Thingy ~ Tomac K-Edge???’ is closed to new replies.