Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Anti Terrorist posters
  • richcc
    Free Member

Has anyone else noticed these Anti-terrorist pictures around the place?

Both seem profoundly flawed… If the CCTV operators can’t spot suspicious activity then why are we paying for them and the bleeding cameras. Also if a would be terrorist’s best hope of acquiring chemicals for a bomb is waiting for someone else to overfill their bin then we’ve nothing to much to fear have we.

Is this another waste of taxpayers money or something more insidious to keep us worrying about ‘terrists’ and not about what the politicians are doing to the economy, global warming and the rest of the show!

Spotted this whilst googling – FOI Request

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think the chemicals one refers to the containers dumped by the terrorists in their own bin, rather than them scouring the streets looking for chucked out stuff. It is also possible to watch a CCTV camera without it seeing you. For example by standing behind it. Anyway, CCTV cameras are for litter louts, didn’t you know that?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve been checking all my neighbours’ bins. Turns out I’m living in some kind of terrorist ghetto – well over half had discarded bleach containers in there, some had baking powder containers also.

The cops have been called.

richcc
    Free Member

That’s the spirit terrahawk – I’ve told my wife to put our old chappati flour in next door’s bin!

project
    Free Member

Any one else noticed that there is a new breed of person out there , possibly over 40, and bored, and starts watching you, everything you do etc, try putting a lucozade bottle in your bottle cage,takeing off your rucksack and getting out your personal radio, all whilst talking on a mobile phone, on a railway station, look round and you have a good exclusion zone around you.

All harmless things you may do, but the observors look at it differently.

project
    Free Member

cctv is rarely watched all the time, unless information is recieved something is happening, try watching the tv for 8 hours without looking away.

Guilliano
    Free Member

I can do that….. especially if I am hung over

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I think keeping people reminded that they have a common enemy can be very useful. The great guru of the Chicago neo-cons Leo Strauss certainly believed it to be so. A great admirer of the TV western series Gunsmoke, Strauss was convinced that ‘people’ (ie the masses) should see the world as struggle between good and evil. Whether the threat was real or imaginary was irrelevant, but people should be offered an enemy to focus on. The Soviet Union he believed, provided an excellent ‘evil enemy’. Today the enemy is Islam and the ‘Axis of Evil’.

So yes, don’t be too complacent – it’s a big bad world out there 😯

Ewan
    Free Member

I like the idea that a terroist will neatly bag up their rubbish *except* for the bomb making equipment.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m reminded of my uncle in Manchester who, back in the seventies, had a visit from the police after someone in a hardware store reported an Irishman buying fertilizer. It ain’t just a 21st century thing folks.

brakes
    Free Member

are there mothers and babies in all the posters?

prams seem like a good place to hide bombs… baby bombs!

coincidence?

you decide

baa
    Free Member

reporting on the neighbours,checking bins,watching people going about
    their own business. thats how it starts, maybe its me being cynical,
    but surely terroist aren’t that inept
    reminds me of certain European country in the 1930

project
    Free Member

Top picture with the bin, our binnies would refuse to take it because the lids open.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but people should be offered an enemy to focus on.

so long as it’s spurious ? Aren’t our real enemies the super rich & powerful ? Creating meaningless threats is manipulative

footflaps

it’s just to keep the sense of fear hightened as its good for the party in power – fear breads conservatism (small c) hence makes us trust the current government more.

project
    Free Member

They didnt spot the bankers who brought the country to the brink with ecconomic terrorism did they.

brakes
    Free Member

Creating meaningless threaDs is manipulative

I agree

Ewan
    Free Member

And best of all…

grizzlygus
    Free Member

” In the past politicians promised to create a better world …….their power and authority came from the optimistic visions they offered their people. Those dreams failed…… but now they have discovered a new role which restores their power and authority. Instead of delivering dreams, politicians promise to protect us …… from nightmares.”

The Power Of Nightmares

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Vigilance does no harm, i remember helping my parents check under there cars in the 90s, but that was the sort of threat you could be vigilant for and the posters identifying what a suspect device looked liked helped. However with this new type of terrorism things are a lot less clear and im not sure these posters are any help but then what is? how would you defend against someone determined to die for his cause? And its no use denying it there is a threat just look at what happened on the london underground and at glasgow airport.

Im not saying these posters are the solution, but they cant hurt.

MrNutt
    Free Member

there’s also a rehash of this:

which looks like this:

and also this: http://campaigns.direct.gov.uk/policingpledge/

where it hilariously changes to “we’d like to give you a good talking to”

its all cock. that is all.

gusamc
    Free Member

I think it’s all part of the current scheme by the public sector to break the country – both financially and in terms of getting the current system to change.

Check out the number of ‘threatening’ government ads on tv.
    – car tax (please explain how a camera will trace a car with no registered keeper)
    – tv licence

In fact the Quantocks ride showed them in action. I got a letter (and some glossy pamphlets about car crime – and how it was my fault for leaving valuables in the car. Shame that the car in question wasn’t mine ……. – nothing like efficiency then.

Top Tip chaps – why not just prosecute car owners for parking in car parks, this will be tax efficient – ie camera shot with no right of appeal and all the poor sods who tax, insure etc etc will have to pay up…..

swamp_boy

The “common enemy” has been an ally and tool of dodgy governments, probably for as long as there have been dodgy governments – i.e. pretty much for ever.

George Orwell does a good job on it in 1984 – every so often the government of Eurasia decides that Eastasia is no longer the enemy, Oceania is, so everything has to be changed to show that this has always been.

I like this take on the posters.

re mash of posters

Freezie
    Free Member

Noticed a few of these posters around Manchester Centre that have had bollox, nonsense etc written on them.
    😀

sq225917
    Free Member

grizzlygus
    Free Member

You know you’ve got problems sq225917, when your neighbours are Irish Moslems 😯

During World War Two the government organised a huge campaign called “Saucepans for Spitfires”. This involved people donating anything they had which was made from aluminium, the claim being that it was needed for aircraft production. This fired up people’s imagination and they enthusiatically donated all their aluminium items. However this was simply a propaganda exercise and the extra aluminium was never needed. The government simply wanted an excuse to involve people in the struggle against a common enemy. In fact they didn’t know what to do with all the aluminium which was donated …

Nothing wrong with the campaign of course, but it shows how important governments consider it is to boost people’s morale by making them feel that they are a part of the fight against a common enemy.

sq225917
    Free Member

let’s be honest here, the goverment/s seem intent on impinging our freedom and liberty while lining their **** pockets.

I predict a riot, well lots of them, it’s about time we had another Oliver Cromwell, some religious nut job over throwing these inept clowns.

There is no alternative to the current political setup, we have no public voice and are just stepped on all the way…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

how would you defend against someone determined to die for his cause?

why bother? You’re more likely to be hit by a meteorite, and far more likely to be killed on the road. Forget about it.

konabunny
    Free Member

“i remember helping my parents check under there cars in the 90s”

That’s bizarre behaviour if there isn’t some specific reason for it (like, being an RUC/IRA member, drug dealer, exiled political leader…).

konabunny
    Free Member

d’oh, double post.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I want to see the ‘Careless talk costs lives’ and ‘Dig for Victory’ posters come back to the streets, design classics

BigDummy
    Free Member

Couldn’t we just organise a huge collection of aluminium suacepans to fight terrorism instead of all spying on one another and calling police hotlines? It would probably be vey effective, and people all have far too many saucepans these days anyhow.

🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

“i remember helping my parents check under there cars in the 90s”

My first service married quarter came with a little torch with a mirror on the end in the downstairs cupboard for checking under the car for bombs. Never worked out how I’d get my car into the cupboard though….

Keep ’em scared, keep ’em controlled.

MrAgreeable

juan
    Free Member

Couldn’t we just organise a huge collection of aluminium suacepans to fight terrorism

Yes and then give it all to brant for some cheapo frame…

On a more serious notes that is quite scary. See it’s the only down side I can find of the UK.
    Soon they’ll ask you to spy your neighbour because he goes to the beach more often than you and have a nice tan.

richcc
    Free Member

Aside from me having a general dislike of these posters and IMHO the feelings they attempt to foster, the fact that they’ve spent money on siting one along my commute between Lichfield and Walsall seems questionable. Not sure we are blessed with ‘high value targets’!

notlocal
    Free Member

“Today the enemy is Islam and the ‘Axis of Evil'”

Come on guys, branding all Muslims as terrorists is handing the BNP all of the ammo it needs. Following a religion does not make you a terrorist, just the same as being Irish does not automatically make you a member of a Republican or Nationalist terror group.

Extremist across the globe will be rubbing their collective hands in glee. Tolerance and understanding of other religions is something my Grandad fought his a**e off for between ’39-’45. Over 6 million lives were taken because of fear and loathing generated by the misbelief that Jews were responsible for the poor economic state of Germany post WW1. DO NOT fall into the trap of blaming a particular ethnic group for the actions of a small minority within it.

The British as a “race” are not as pure as some right wing idiots would like to think. Our bloodlines show no resemblence to those of the true Britons/Celts that once occupied this island. Look back and recogise the German/French/Spanish/Scandinavian/Italian occupations this country has been through, and then beat your union flag chest with pride.

Instead of victimising a particular ethnic group, why not go and speak to them. Learn something of their culture and history, which by the way outdates ours by at least a thousand years. many of the Muslims living in “our” country are here because they were terrorised and victimised in the country of their birth. Victimised by people who follow a twisted version of the same religion, so I imagine their sympathy for such groups would be non-existent.

juan
    Free Member

notcal if you want I can help with the race stuff 😉
    I have becoming good in filling turkey breaster 😉

notlocal
    Free Member

Cheers juan. trying to make the point that we shouldn’t condemn one particular group because of the actions of a small minority within that group. We should also avoid fuelling hatred of said groups, and subsequently validate the obtuse and ignorant beliefs of a few extreme right groups in this country.

konabunny
    Free Member

he is able to speak for himself, but i suspect that you have misinterpreted GG’s post if you think he is some Muslim-basher.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Anti Terrorist posters’ is closed to new replies.