Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anti-stab knives
  • Flaperon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8101032.stm

I have only one question. How could that knife possibly take 4 years to develop?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The first “anti-stab” knife will soon go on sale in Britain and has been designed to work as normal in the kitchen, but be ineffective as a weapon.

You could still slash someones throat with it.

sharki
    Free Member

A further 4 years and we’ll have the anti stab, non slashing knife and all will be well.

That’ll sort knife crime and kitchen accidents out 🙄

And these people get paid to design this rubbish.

will
    Free Member

I’m sure given enough force, that would still damage the skin. Anyway what about old knifes 🙄

Mikkel
    Free Member

will they also make all normal knives dissapear over night?

What is crazy is that they seem to think this will have an effect on ammount of stabings.

STATO
    Free Member

that blunt bit could still pierce with enough force, what they need to do is make the end even fatter, then we’d all be safe…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

There is a team also working on an anti shoot gun for Americans.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Have they given up on trying to persuade people not to stab one another?

I appreciate that the knife hjas a lot of advantages as a weapon, but it remains the case that normal people don’t carry them around or indeed poke other people with them. So it is far from clear that the problem is the existence of sharp knives. And if sharp knives aren’t the problem then blunt knives are not a particularly good answer… Full marks for inventiveness though. Who would have thought such a thing was possible?

🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

anti stab knife*

*other knives are available!

XC_PK
    Free Member

That looks like the ultimate sandwich making knife! Cut with one side marge and marmite with the other!

sharki
    Free Member

Scientists have just revealed a way to prevent pavement cyclists..
    I give you the Anti pavement cycling bike.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Presumably most people on this thread didn’t read and/or understand all the article..?

sharki
    Free Member

Didn’t read it *hands up here*

There less fun to have when working with some facts.

BigDummy
    Free Member

All of these axes are safe for use by the clumsy, the psychotic and those who have been abusing presciption cough-linctus.

enfht
    Free Member

Will they be demonstrating them on volunteers like they did for pepper spray?! 😕

XC_PK
    Free Member

I didn’t read it either, I was too busy looking for the A&A thread… 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

Your point being Capt John?

Personally think it’s a waste of time. Of course we are all going to send our own, often expensive, knives for recycling so we can *buy*, no doubt, expensive replacements?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    Will they be demonstrating them on volunteers like they did for pepper spray?

If so can we nominate.

(sorry, didn’t read the article too busy laughing and mocking – will do so now, sorry again!)

sharki
    Free Member

And now having read it, i can continue to take the pi$$ out of a basically pointless design…..

These thugs aren’t stoopid enough not to work out how to use a grinder, they carry the knife for a purpose and that purpose is to harm..

And any well educated knive wielder can now read that the knive is designed to snag on clothing……

So beware when you about to get mugged at knife blunt, when the mugger tells you to strip…

mogrim

“This is especially true of household products which are freely available to the very young and very old, and used by people who may be clumsy, short tempered, drunk or mentally or physically unwell. Most people fit into one or more of these categories at some time in their lives.”

So who are the people who are never very young at some time in their lives?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I read it, and understood it. The crux of the suppurating pile of time-wasting toss that it spews forth is this:

Doctors… argue that while a redesign [of kitchen knives] is not a complete solution to the complex problem of knife crime, it could help to save lives.

It is so far from being a “complete solution” to the problem of vicious people hurting one another with readily available implements that even considering expending any energy on it is spectacularly pointless and patronising. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

i read the bit where they said it would cost £40 – £50. i didn’t see any mention of how they thought this knife had any chance of replacing all the £2 or £3 stabby knives in the areas where knife crime is most common.

jonb
    Free Member

It costs around £40. I think they are missing the point (pun intended). If you want to stab some one then you could quite easily buy one of the millions of knifes designed perfectly well for stabbing and not this one. Personnally I have so little fear of someone braking into my kitchen rummaging through the drawer to find a knife to threaten me with that I won’t be buying one.

redthunder
    Free Member

They’ll be using shanks next 🙄

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Been and went and read it.
    What a bunch of poo – are we paying for this imbecilic nonsense.
    Why not just make the pointy bit round?
    Like a butter knife!
    It doesn’t have to have a pointy bit.
    Suggest we also round of the sharp ends of screwdrivers, chisels and knitting needles whilst we are at it.

philjunior
    Free Member

“This is especially true of household products which are freely available to the very young and very old, and used by people who may be clumsy, short tempered, drunk or mentally or physically unwell. Most people fit into one or more of these categories at some time in their lives.”

I have an issue with this – ALL people will fit into one or more of these categories at some point in their life.

sharki
    Free Member

[crocodile dundee] Naaaa, thats not a knife…..this is a knife…[/crocodile dundee]

BigDummy
    Free Member

Really clever people manage to be very old, very drunk and very young all at the same time though.

transmute
    Free Member

What about a pointed stick?

watch out for the loganberries

Possibly whittled using the sharp edge of the blunt ended knife?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Transumte has not learnt the art of not being seen.

**BOOOOOOM**

CountZero

Having a kitchen knife without a point is pointless. (ha!). I need a point to cut through tough plastic wrappings, which normally entailes sticking a sharp point in first. There are already ceramic kitchen knives with rounded tips to avoid the tips breaking off in use. So this is a waste of time, quite apart from the fact that the sort of family who’s children tool themselves up for a night on the town from the cutlery drawer won’t be spending £40 on a knife, or even a set of knives. Couple of quid from Wilco’s more like.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anti-stab knives’ is closed to new replies.