Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anti-semitism
  • neilco
    Free Member

Am I the only one that is confused by the anti-Semitic comments of the alt-right that emerged most recently during the Charlottesville demonstrations? As a Brit living outside the UK but within Europe for the best part of a decade and now living in Australia, I’m painfully aware of the anti-immigrant / anti-muslin rhetoric that we hear so much of, but I’ve never knowingly come across anti-semitism in any form. Is this a particularly American thing and/or where does it’s modern form stem from?

Genuinely asking from an open and interested viewpoint.

cranberry
    Free Member

It is not an American thing – it happens everywhere.

Cougar

I’m glad you asked – I’ve never really understood it either. I’ve never really come across it, but then, I simply don’t know many Jewish people. I have one friend who is Jewish, but is from New York – I’ve met her a grand total of once.

There was a similar discussion on here a while back which might help. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anti-semitism

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s Anti-Semitsm when far-right arsehole spout nonsense about Jews running Hollywood and brainwashing us and there’s ‘anti-senitism’ which is a tool Israel uses to hammer anyone who dares make negative comments about their appalling human rights record or land grabbing at end of the barrel of a (US supplied) Tank.

MSP

There’s Anti-Semitsm when far-right arsehole spout nonsense about Jews running Hollywood

There is also the seemingly popular conspiracy theory believed on the left and right of politics that “jews” run wall st, the city etc.

But i agree that most of what I have seen labelled as anti semitism is actually just criticism of the frequently appalling actions of Israel.

Marin
    Free Member

P-jay has nailed it.

ninfan
    Free Member

There is also the seemingly popular conspiracy theory believed on the left and right of politics that “jews” run wall st, the city etc.

AKA New World Order/Bilderberg/Judeo-Masonic/Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy – something that’s been going on for a few years but, well, has been deeply embedded in western society for hundreds of years.

See, for example, Karl Marx:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/jewish-question/

RustySpanner

Ignorance, fear and prejudice.

What’s really scary is the normalisation and acceptance of the recent display of hate by those who should know better in the US.

It was only my dad’s generation that fought in WW2, not long ago.
    The evidence of the consequences of ignoring such hatred is there for all of us to see.

People are easily led.
    It’s easier to appeal to baser instincts than noble ones.
    Even so, to wilfully choose to align yourself with anti semitism, or to accept and fail to challenge it seems ignorant and unacceptable.

I feel this applies equally to all obvious forms of prejudice, but to my generation in the UK the Holocaust was the most well documented and horrific example of genocide we had, it was recent history and the scale and impact were known and understood worldwide.
    I think that’s what makes it’s resurgence particularly repellent.

zippykona

I guess most Jews pass us and we don’t even know their religion so they escape any judgement.
    The ZZ Top ones though…I’m sure they must get some kind of reaction.
    To be fair I’ve never met one.

scotroutes

Question: why are white US Southerners so anti-semitic? Is it that they also believe the Jews are controlling everything and are therefire adopting Nazi-ism or did they adopt the Nazis first, and the anti-semitism stems from that (a bit chicken and egg I guess)

Junkyard
    Free Member

one post to whatabouterry…impressive.

I was amazed none of the usual right wing suspect, who rail against anti semitism in labour to the extent they exagerate it and make it up, have been so vitriolic on other threads despite the fact the POTUS has “supported” the KKK and other outright racists and anti Semites.

They seem obsessed with false flag lefty attacks and ignore the obvious and undeniable association over there and the obvious point that racism is predominately a right wing mind set*.

Most odd be consistent lads.

Corbyn is not an anti semite – he has been an active anti racist all his life so shame on you for such a ludicrous piece of sophistry.

Historically one of the issues for anti semitism is that they were seen as stateless and due to their religion as different

TBH rationally trying to understand racists is pointless they are stupid people full of hate with idiotic views reality cannot substantiate

* to save time not everyone on the right is racist and CPt and THM are not even remotely racist and i suspect we have massive areas of agreement on the issue despite our political differences

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ scotroutes

i think they think they control the world with backroom deals and pull the strings unseen and are “really in control”

scotroutes

Aye – I was wondering what came first.

ninfan
    Free Member

Corbyn is not an anti semite – he has been an active anti racist all his life so shame on you for such a ludicrous piece of sophistry.

Sorry, Trump rules now apply – if you refuse to condemn organisations that want Israel wiped off the map, and are praised by anti-semites, they you are, by definition an anti-Semitic sympathiser

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/03/hamas-welcomes-jeremy-corbyns-refusal-to-condemn-islamist-group/

Klunk
    Free Member

Question: why are white US Southerners so anti-semitic? Is it that they also believe the Jews are controlling everything and are therefire adopting Nazi-ism or did they adopt the Nazis first, and the anti-semitism stems from that (a bit chicken and egg I guess)

got to see the daily stormer before it was taken down and it was quite an eye opener. The conspiracy theories knocking around that site about Jews were extreme paranoia. One was the Jews are paying blacks to sleep with white southern women to “dilute” the white race.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The first question is when did Anti semetic come to mean anti Jew?

You’d need to chuck in all the muslims and christians for a true anti semiticism no?

julianwilson
    Free Member

If whataboutery and ‘trump rules’ apply in this thread, then what about the antiemetism abound in the Conservative party?
    They are like the school that says “we don’t have a problem with bullying in our school” -of course they do: it’s just not as reported because no one sees the point in bothering.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

First thing is to remember that criticism of Israel and their government actions is not anti semitic.
    Shirt answer is people look for others to blame for their failings.
    Look at the leaders who do this, nothing is their fault everything can be blamed on others.

nickc

The more weird thing is how many White Americans are anti-Semites,but pro Israel.

julianwilson
    Free Member

^^^ nickc: is it possible to have hatred towards Jews, also but so much hatred towards Iran/Palestine that you still support a (happens to be Jewish) government that hates them too?
    Like a much much much more racist version of the way you momentarily support the football team you don’t really like but that today is playing against the team you like the least.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anti-semitism’ is closed to new replies.