Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anti puncture tape – tip of the day
  • For ages now I’ve been using Panaracer Flataway in preference to the various heavy polyurethane based offerings. Two problems though – it only lasts two tyres worth before it breaks up and the Kevlar fabric is more abrasive than it looks, causing self-defeating internal punctures.

So here’s the answer. On a flat surface about 8 feet long stretch out a length of 50mm wide Duck tape sticky side up. Use drawing pins or more tape at the ends to keep it all taught and straight. Now carefully peel the backing tape off the Flataway and stick it to the Duck tape. As its 40mm wide there should be 5mm spare each side.

To finish off, get another length of Duck tape and stick that down on top to effectively create a sandwich. Note that I tend to cut about 100mm or so off the Flataway as there’s loads of overlap on a 26 inch tyre. The surplus is always useful for repairing ripped sidewalls on the trail.

Result – three months of winter rides and 1000 miles of commuting (incl off road) and NO punctures. Considering the rear tyre is a worn Nobby Nic and the tube is wafer thin, I’m pretty pleased with the outcome.

Stoner
    Free Member

nice guerilla fix.

how much does enough tape sandwich weigh for one wheel?

Dunno exactly, the Flataway is under 40g and the tape adds 15 to 20 at a guess.

Still a lightweight option IMO.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anti puncture tape – tip of the day’ is closed to new replies.