Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anti-Polution Masks? Do they work?
  • Steve-20
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting into London every day for a few months and having seen the black stuff that builds up on my bike every week I’m starting to worry about what I’m breathing in and considering wearing an anti-polution mask.

I’ve seen the claims made by the manufacturers about them filtering out exhaust fumes etc but was interested in what everyone’s experience is of using them. Do anti-polution masks actually work and has anybody got any recommendations on the type to use?

dr_adams
    Free Member

Given they can’t filter the crap out of the nasty stuff out of the exhaust in car… maybe if you wore a proper respirator?

aP
    Free Member

No.
    You’re better off cycling than sitting in a car in terms of breathing in pollutants.
    Just don’t sit behind busses or lorries as they pull away from lights.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aP
    Free Member

Maybe a nice white surgical mask would be better 😉

stratobiker
    Free Member

I used to use a Respro when I commuted into Birmingham, especially when foggy. It seemed to work well, though if you’re riding hard it struggles to keep up, plus it makes for face very sweaty, and prone to zits.

alexpalacefan

They will filter out the coarse particulates (that’s the black snot!) but your body catches that anyway. What they don’t and can’t get are the toxic gases, carbon monoxide, sulpher dioxide et c. But as aP says, you’re still breathing cleaner air than if you were sitting in one of those cars 🙂

A

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anti-Polution Masks? Do they work?’ is closed to new replies.