Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • anti-police and local government policy rant
  • druidh
    Free Member

See – without seeing the context, I’d have put you completely in the wrong. However, if you’re coming past the LIDL entrance and then having to stop at the side of the road to dismount, the “pinch point” caused by that stupid piece of kerb down the centre of the road would likely mean traffic trying to squeeze past you at an inopportune moment.

That being the case, I’d probably get on the kerb, dismount and then back on again 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Theres a few tools round my way that could do with a good arresting. Two morons I see regularly riding the wrong way down a busy one way st.
    Another who cycles the whole way along the pavement on the same one way st, when she can just as easily take an alternative route which takes her where she’s going, but no the pavements where its at for her. She never pedals either and she wears TOO much eyeliner.
    Its their choice to play with the buses, but it just colours public perception against cyclists in general. Hence the usual snide comments about jumping red lights and paying road tax etc.

JonR
    Free Member
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

how about two cyclists riding double-breasted down the dual carriageway along London Wall, on the way towards Moorgate, and holding up the car traffic flow.

how would that stand with the police?

KennySenior
    Free Member

JonR

Never knew that. Not sure I’d take the chance though, not here anyway

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The daily mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008466/Swearing-police-longer-offence.html

Firstly, you take the Daily Bile as an authority, known for accurate reporting? I’m surprised they didn’t manage to work immigration into that article.

Secondly, its a policy decision by Metpol to stop officers being tied up dealing with minor public order offences. The courts have long since adopted the stance that police have a tougher constitution than the general public so the standard for abusive behaviour is higher, but it is still illegal, you can still be arrested, and still be convicted in court. Try it and let us know.

Back to the OP, the number of officers involved suggests it was an awareness operation, driven either by a spate of accidents or public complaints (neighbourhood policing means we police the priorities and issues the community set, be it illegal parking or drug dealing). We have similar in Oxford for cycle lights just after the clocks change, something like 160 tickets given out in 2 hours a couple of weeks ago (ticket cancelled if a light receipt is produced within 2 weeks). This year it came just after a horrific cycle fatality (thread on here about it) so I would have expected less discretion to be used to get the message across.

JonR
    Free Member

Firstly, you take the Daily Bile as an authority, known for accurate reporting? I’m surprised they didn’t manage to work immigration into that article.

Secondly, its a policy decision by Metpol to stop officers being tied up dealing with minor public order offences. The courts have long since adopted the stance that police have a tougher constitution than the general public so the standard for abusive behaviour is higher, but it is still illegal, you can still be arrested, and still be convicted in court. Try it and let us know.

Back to the OP, the number of officers involved suggests it was an awareness operation, driven either by a spate of accidents or public complaints (neighbourhood policing means we police the priorities and issues the community set, be it illegal parking or drug dealing). We have similar in Oxford for cycle lights just after the clocks change, something like 160 tickets given out in 2 hours a couple of weeks ago (ticket cancelled if a light receipt is produced within 2 weeks). This year it came just after a horrific cycle fatality (thread on here about it) so I would have expected less discretion to be used to get the message across.

Firstly not at all, I read the daily mail website from time to time to amuse myself at the blatent bias of some of their fouler journos such as Melanie Phillips and Liz Jones and also to gaffaw with laughter at the low brow neanderthals who post on their comments page. However this was a well publicised news story that was run across all the media but the Mail was the first to pop up on a simple Google search.

You say try it and let us know, okay then. I understand from previous posts that you yourself are a member of constabulary and officer of peace and so can I just tell you to go forth and multiply! Come on, arrest me.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I read the daily mail website from time to time to amuse myself at the blatent bias of some of their fouler journos

fair enough. I suppose being called a Daily Mail reader is abusive and insulting behaviour in itself 🙂

just tell you to go forth and multiply! Come on, arrest me.

I’d say right then, I’ll see you next tuesday, but I’m on holiday… 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘anti-police and local government policy rant’ is closed to new replies.