Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • anti-police and local government policy rant
  • SaxonRider

So I’m on my way to work this morning, through Cardiff’s university area, and I am confronted by a ahlf-dozen police officers stationed on every corner. I carry on my merry way until I come to the point on a slight rise, where I have to turn right, cross a pavement, and continue on what is effectively the same road.

I wait until I can safely turn, and, as soon as I mount the pavement (which is hardly any wider than the length of my bike), I am stopped.

‘We’re cracking down on cyclists on pavements, and you are liable for a £30 fine,’ he says.

‘What?!?’ I reply, with a look of combined incredulity and disdain.

‘Where are you right now?’ the PC asks.

‘I kind of have to be here, in order to carry on straight,’ I say, looking around me at the same time to check out whether or not any passer-by is noticing the absurdity of the situation.

In any case, I just say ‘whatever’ and continue on my way.

WTF is that about?

In all my time riding to work, I have hardly ever even noticed a cyclist on the f-ing pavement! It is indeed a busy place for pedestrians, as it is for cyclists and cars… but the only danger I have ever noticed is all the f-ing broken glass from the student pub that stands on the corner.

Why don’t they crack down on the fact that some people don’t clean up their mess?!?

I mean, according to their logic, I am supposed to dismount at EVERY f-ing pavement, and walk!

Well done, Cardiff. Focus on the important things, and get more cyclists off the roads by making it as inconvenient and as unsafe as possible to ride.

Stupid t**ts.

Speshpaul

cut off in his prime.

scaredypants

I am supposed to dismount at EVERY f-ing pavement, and walk!

😐

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am supposed to dismount at EVERY f-ing pavement, and walk

Yup

nealglover
    Free Member

“I mean, according to their logic, I am supposed to dismount at EVERY f-ing pavement, and walk!”

Erm, that’s not “their logic”.

It’s the law isn’t it ??

And it seems a sensible one? Are cars allowed to drive over this section of pavement, or is it for people walk on, like most pavements ?

phil.w
    Free Member

I mount the pavement (which is hardly any wider than the length of my bike)

learn to bunnyhop 🙂

SaxonRider

Just to be clear: I always do on long straight stretches of proper pavement. It would just be impractical and ridiculous to do so in order to cross. Equally, I do now, and have always deferred to pedestrians whether I am where I have every right to be or not – partly out of friendliness, and partly because I want to present a positive image of cyclists.

There are, however, two sections on my commute where, if I did dismount, I would be at serious risk.

I’m sure anyone who has ever in their lives ridden in a city will know what I mean. 😕

toys19
    Free Member

They are legally correct, but morally you might be, either way, you’ll get fined.

edlong
    Free Member

Suggest riding on the pavement right in front of the old bill is kinda asking for trouble.

Somewhat baffled that you seem so bemused by the suggestion that you shouldn’t ride your bike on the pavement. What with it being the law and everything.

As for “get more cyclists off the roads” it seems that their issue is quite the opposite, they would prefer you to stay on the road. Seems reasonable to me.

edlong
    Free Member

I ride in a city every day. My route involves going across some pavements. I get off my bike at those points. It must be costing me, I dunno, four, maybe five seconds? I can live with that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can you give us a google street view of the bit? It would be interesting to see as there are bits of bad road design that do make it dangerous for cyclists

Personally I do not ride on pavements generally despite living and riding in the city.

Sancho
    Free Member

how on earth can getting off your bike put you at risk of anything, or at any greater risk as opposed to being on the bike.
    Maybe you should get a special law all to yourself allowing you to ride where you like.
    did you explain to the police about your being put at risk or how absurd it is, or anything you have said on here.
    Just accept that you are not the centre of the universe and follow the laws of the land, if you dont like it then expect to get stopped once in a blue moon.

IanMunro
    Free Member

“I mean, according to their logic, I am supposed to dismount at EVERY f-ing pavement, and walk!”

Erm, that’s not “their logic”.

It’s the law isn’t it ??

It is. However the guide rules for the use of fixed penalty notices say that they should only be used on people who are riding in a manner that is endangering others, rather than a blanket ban.

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by ‘Community Support Officers’ and wardens.

“CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)”.”
    Source –http://www.bucksinfo.net/aylesburycyclingcampaign/footpath-cycling/ and numerous other places.

So if they stop you again, ask em what the home-office says on the subject.

scaredypants

yeah, but

… who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic…particularly children and young people

as opposed to “sometimes feel it’s a waste of their time to have to get off”

BruceWee

You know, there are a lot of other countries where cycling on the pavement is perfectly legal and yet somehow the world doesn’t end.

Could the UK learn something?

prezet
    Free Member

I was questioning this the other day – if that had been a child on their way to school, cycling on the pavement, would they have been fined?

Or are children not allowed to cycle on the pavement at all?

Houns

No sympathy and to be honest not worthy of a thread. As a cyclist you can’t ride on a footpath.

You’d moan if there was a car parked on a bike path wouldn’t you?

Get over it, you broke the law

(yes I also ride on paths occasionally, if get caught I get caught, I wont whine about it)

kimbers

i cycle thru marble arch from hyde park to oxford street on my commute
    teh traffic lights either end of hyde park have a pedestrian and cycle sign
    yet ist not marked as a cycle route in beteween its really quite confusing

i was stopped by a copper for crossing on a red he didnt fine me but gave me a talking too, i asked him what the situation was and he was very vague!

hels
    Free Member

Give a false name.

A girl at my school got done for drunk driving and gave my name (this was at age 16 so having no ID was quite feasible), I have been giving out hers ever since. Seems only fair, and rumor has it she is dead now anyway.

aracer
    Free Member

if that had been a child on their way to school, cycling on the pavement, would they have been fined?

No – because there’s a minimum age for issuing fixed penalty notices.

aracer
    Free Member

Regarding the OP – I was going to post with a lack of sympathy for riding on the pavement. But then I realised I’d be a hypocrite – I’ve already cycled on the pavement today (further than the OP did) accompanying my little boy to school – I actually rode quite a long way on the pavement in total, but most of that is a designated dual use path, so it’s only a small section where I’m not strictly legal. The other thing is, by the sounds of it he cycled less far on the pavement than a lot (most?) of car drivers drive on the pavement every time they use their cars – where’s the crack down on that?

phil.w
    Free Member

I have been giving out hers ever since… …and rumor has it she is dead now anyway.

jeez, what did you do and who caught you?

toys19
    Free Member

The point is the OP did not actually get fined, the copper just warned him, and given there were laods of coppers and there mission was to edumacte people about cycling of pavements does the Op thinkt he cops should have ignored him? It pains me to say this as I am frothingly anti police but I’m with the cops this time..

phinbob

Saxonrider – is that by the woody? Takes me back……

aracer
    Free Member

The point is the OP did not actually get fined, the copper just warned him

Oh – I obviously missed that bit. Fair cop in that case.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The police do these high profile exercises every so often so’s people can see that they’re cracking down on the ‘menace’ that is urban cycling what with all the dangerous crimes being committed where the public are at incredible risk of horrible mutilation and death…

Unless they are going to police such things consistently, it’s nothing more than a PR exercise. And, as such, a pretty useless waste of money.

So, they catch and fine a few minor transgressors dangerous criminals. Raise a few hundred quid in fines.

does not in any way change owt. The next cyclists along will do exactly the same thing, but thre’ll be no-one there to tell them off/fine them.

So what does it achieve?

I now ride through every single red light that I feel it is safe to do so, and where there’s no Babylonians about. I’m getting my flipping £30 quid’s worth…

toys19
    Free Member

Well I assumeby his description, unless I am reading it wrong

‘We’re cracking down on cyclists on pavements, and you are liable for a £30 fine,’ he says.

‘What?!?’ I reply, with a look of combined incredulity and disdain.

‘Where are you right now?’ the PC asks.

‘I kind of have to be here, in order to carry on straight,’ I say, looking around me at the same time to check out whether or not any passer-by is noticing the absurdity of the situation.

In any case, I just say ‘whatever’ and continue on my way.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You should have wheelied down the pavement and stuck it to the man.

klumpy
    Free Member

The OP states that he was crossing the pavement, not riding along it. I drive across the pavement every time I take the van on or off my driveway… It all hinges on if:

…turn right, cross a pavement, and continue on what is effectively the same road.

…is the same sort of situation or not.

Sancho
    Free Member

Its not the best use of police time, but I bet they are doing it because some dick has upset some pedestrian(s) and ridden off thinking they have the right to ride where they like.
    Probably the council and police have been asked to carry out the clampdown to address the fears of a section of the public.

now and then you see them policing bus lanes etc, its just how it works, but the more cyclists run red lights, the more it stirs up resentment from other road users. and you may find a crackdown on that.

But I guess some people feel they are above the law or are too clever and they can get round the law.

Personally I dont keep to the speed limits all the time, but I can hardly complain when I get a speeding ticket.

phil.w
    Free Member

I’m getting my flipping £30 quid’s worth

Does that theory work for other cases of breaking the law? or just the one’s you don’t like?

Been locked up for GBH, burglary, rape? Make it worth it; do it again.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No don’t be so silly.

phil.w
    Free Member

🙂

matt23
    Free Member

I for one was happy to see all the police today talking to students on my way into work……the amount of times leaving work in Cardiff Uni, that have resulted in numerous emergency stops because of ridiculous attempts by students on bikes (usually missing brakes, saddles or have flat tyres) has become a daily occurrence. It is about time that something was done before a cyclist was injured or killed. When I do cycle to work I do my best to stay on the road at all times and I suppose us ‘serious’ cyclists are more confident on the road, than students racing to lectures fuelled by cheap carling from the night before.

I do know that South Wales police are planning to this a couple more times in the common weeks because there have been numerous complaints and near misses around the busy roads of Cardiff Uni.

SaxonRider

phinbob – Member
    Saxonrider – is that by the woody? Takes me back……

Bang on. Where the road curves, and to continue on Woodville, you have to cut across the pavement in front of the pub.

druidh
    Free Member

Here ??

matt23
    Free Member

I actually saw an ambulance there on Monday evening with a bike and few people on the floor…….so could be the reason why the police are there…….but as mentioned previously unless the police are there every day it will be back to the usual ways on tomorrow and the next day. That bit of road is soo lethal, especially coupled with the pavements blocked off by Arriva to do bridge work and let the students walk on the road.
    Mental note to ride on the road tomorrow as I have been guilty of cutting that section a few times 😕

JonR
    Free Member

Why not just tell to the police to **** off? Its legal now.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Why not just tell to the police to **** off? Its legal now.

Who told you that?

SaxonRider

druidh, yes that’s the place.

And as matt23 says, it is particularly dangerous right now with road work going on, and the high levels of combined traffic. I don’t know how others fee, but I would not be comfortable stopping on the left of Cathays, dismounting (presumably in traffic, as I am not allow to remain on the bike on the pavement), in order to pull my bike up onto the pavement, in order to cross on foot only to spend 1/100th of a second on that bit of curved pavement so that I can carry on down Woodville.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘anti-police and local government policy rant’ is closed to new replies.