Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anti-fog lenses and treatments?
  • rhid

Do Anti-fog lenses or treatments really work well with bike goggles?

I have some oldish SPy optic Alloys which do the trick, however they fog up pretty badly if I stop! I realise that for the vent system to be fully effective you need to be moving but do Anti-fog lenses or the anti-fog sprays help reduce this?

Anyone use any goggles they can recommend for lovely clear non-foggy vision?

ta
    rhid

GaryLake
    Free Member

*registers interest*

nickc

Two things I’ve tried will help, but nothing really gets rid of it all together.

1. polish in a dab of washing-up liquid.
    2. Rub the lens with a candle, and again, polish it out.

slowmedown
    Free Member

Well…

Take some fairy liquid, dilute it to about 50% with water and apply to lens, dry with hair dryer, and it turns the lens opaque, polish this back to clear with kitchen roll. Hey presto no fog at all…

BUT…

this treatment if repeated, which you have to, does make the lens material brittle, which in a crash could lead to sharp shards of plastic in your eye (particular problem in motorcycle helmet visors).

In practice I use this method whenever I think fogging will be a particular problem, like a wet forecast, and replace my lenses at least every year. Works a treat.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Got some anti fogging spray from my opticians. It does seem to work, but you have to apply it fairly often.

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t say the Muc-Off stuff helps much with anti-fog but the Oakley hydrophobic treatment stuff looks interesting (I ended up buying Oakley Radars though so never bothered trying it).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SPedo make a little spray for goggles, but they recomed you use it every time from new to keep toppig up the anti fog coating.

Not sure whether its that of the chlorine/water that turns the silicon rims of my goggles green and flaky but i seem to need new goggles every 6 months or so. Either the rims flake appart or the anti fog stops working even after treatment limiting me to about 20 lengths between breaks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

forget the washing-up up liquid and potato type bodges. Bob heath visor spray works. 30 yrs of all year round motorcycling and I use it all the time.

Rainx works as well but not as well as the bob heath stuff.

cheers_drive

My findings:
    Bloc Smith – Fog at the slightest hint og humidity
    Endura Spectrum – despite apparently having a ani-fog treatment they fog and scratch really easily. Cheap mind.
    Madison D-arcs – Cheap and only fog when very hot humid

That Muc-off anti-fog spray is useless too

Blurboy
    Free Member

I polish my glasses with silicon based liquid car polish – sort of updated version of candle wax! This makes rain bead and run off and helps avoid smearing. I have had very little problem with fogging since using this method. I use Evil Eyes with optical inserts so fogging between the inserts and lenses used to be a big issue. Probably messing the plastic lenses long term but they get replaced fairly regularly anyway because they scratch so easily.

thepodge
    Free Member

get thisen down a motorbike shop, £3 gets you a little pink bottle of stuff that you squirt on and polish off, works a treat on specs, bit odd on my visor as i seem to always fog up at the nose

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anti-fog lenses and treatments?’ is closed to new replies.