Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anthems's with 120mm Forks – massive difference?
  • Kryton57

I might want a more “trailsy” option for weekends away although I’m happy with the 100mm Fox CTD for racing as is.

Is the extra 20mm justified in a big way?

richardthird

Thought about this. But then I went the route of offset bush and fat front tyre instead (CM 2.4). Still keep thinking about it though!

taxi25
    Free Member

I put some 120mm forks on my superfly 100 sl. Really happy with them, it didn’t change the handling much, certainly not in a bad way. Bonus being the Rebas I fitted work much better than the Fox ctd’s.

taxi25
    Free Member

Double post.

OrangeOrganic
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts on this as I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing… Would also like to know if I’d need a non-standard fork due to the overdrive 2 headset?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

SX?

that’s why is was made – rather than buy the old trance people put 120s on the anthem

onewheelgood

I put 120mm forks on my 26er Anthem X. It made it noticeably more comfortable (less scary) on rocky trailcentre descent type stuff, with no apparent disadvantages on XC or on the ups. It probably helped that I also went from QR to 15mm in the process.

Kryton57

I don’t want to buy a new bike, I have an anthem 29, and am just wondering if £300 for a Reba would help for big rough days out as it were.

Edit:

I put 120mm forks on my 26er Anthem X. It made it noticeably more comfortable (less scary) on rocky trailcentre descent type stuff, with no apparent disadvantages on XC or on the ups. It probably helped that I also went from QR to 15mm in the process.

Ah ha, thanks.

onewheelgood

Ah ha, thanks.

Oh god, I’ve just realised I actually answered the question that was asked. <hangs head in shame/>

mimmiethecat
    Free Member

I put 120mm Fit foxes on my 26″ AnthemX. No negatives and as said above, much more confidence on drops and descending.

Test rode a T130scr when I changed bikes and thought my Anthem with longer forks and shorter stem wider bar a fair bit more capable TBH, though that could have been better set up.

I think the quality of fork is as important if not more so than travel though.

v666ern
    Free Member

Yep, gives that little but of extra confidence when you balls up. But saying that if your racing id have said keep 100 as they are stupid fast.

Tried the chunky monkey on the front too, it helped when i only had the anthem available but did feel like putting monster truck tyres on a porsche…

Kryton57

But saying that if your racing id have said keep 100 as they are stupid fast.

Yes (perhaps not in my hands 😀 ) my intention was to swap forks to 120mm for Trail centre weekends.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thought more about this myself. On my 26 find the rear plush and the front fine on most moorland riding etc, but as others say rocky descents can feel like an over the bars moment could happen.

Just don’t want to upset the fantastic climbing abillity

Does it effect stand over much?

v666ern
    Free Member

sorry didnt see they were additional forks, if thats the case then go for it, more travel is always better right 😛

adsh
    Free Member

Oh god, I’ve just realised I actually answered the question that was asked. <hangs head in shame/>

Close but no cigar. In the best STW tradition you have taken experience with a similar but different bike (26″ vs 29″ Anthems with 7 years between them) to be a definitive answer.

onewheelgood

similar but different bike

I think you’ll find that the original question was completely non-specific about wheel size or model year.

Kryton57

I think you’ll find that the original question was completely non-specific about wheel size or model year.

Yes thats my fault.

Its an Anthem x1 29 2014, currently shod with 2014 F100 Evolution CTD.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anthems's with 120mm Forks – massive difference?’ is closed to new replies.