Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anthem X5 or Decathlon Rockrider
  • justatheory
    Free Member

My friend is after a MTB for trail centre riding and a bit of XC. He wants to get it through Cyclescheme, so has budget of £1000. He has test rode the Giant Anthem X5 and Decathlon Rockrider, and finds both to bit a good fit and suit the kind of riding he wants to do.

The Rockrider has a slightly better groupset but the Giant has a more well reputed frame, suspension platform, as well as better fork and shock. The Rockrider is 120mm front and rear whereas the Giant is 100mm.

I’m inclined to recommend the Giant, despite the lower spec shifters etc.

What do you reckon?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p3618

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-91-id_8170096.html

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve not looked too much at the specs, however the Anthem X is the same frame you get on the X1 which is a nearly £3k bike.

I’ve got an X2 2011, and its a fantastic frame, climbs better than any other full susser Ive owned, and is pretty plush downhill too.

As a platform for future upgrade you couldnt go wrong with the X5.

Pedalon have the 2011 X5 on offer too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can’t see the suspension on the decathlon/btwin properly but it looks like a single pivot, whereas the giant is the more sophisticated maestro.

resale on the giant will be a lot better as well.

cp

The Anthem’s are very well regarded, and as mentioned above, will have a far far higher resale value. I’d say the Giant has a much better upgrade potential as well, again as mentioned, the same frame (different shock) is used on their 3k bike.

justatheory
    Free Member

resale on the giant will be a lot better as well

That’s a good point – my friend frequently changes bikes.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That’s a good point – my friend frequently changes bikes.

is that why he can only afford budget bikes, because of the amount he loses on resale?

get the giant, or a slightly better one if Pauls have one – when he gets wanderlust put some 120mm forks on it to change it up.

bellys
    Free Member

See if the store will discount you the display model if the size is right http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-92-2011-id_8153766.html
    This is a great bike. Shame mine got stolen.

gribble
    Free Member

I have a 5 year old hard tail Rockrider (which I am pleased with) and have seen the 120 mm full sussers in the shop.

Whereas the Rockriders look like a half decent 1st effort, I would be inclined to go for an Anthem.

Anthems have been very well rated, resale value is better (as everyone above has mentioned), but more than that you are getting a good, upgradeable frame. I would have thought it would be easier to get better second hand frame specific shocks etc in the future for an anthem too, as there will probably be more bits on ebay etc down the road.

My brother has a 6 year old anthem 2, which he rates highly. Just had 100mm forks put on it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anthem X5 or Decathlon Rockrider’ is closed to new replies.