Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anthem X or ST4
  • BIGMAN
    Free Member

I am after a new 4 inch trail bike. Its got to be suited to XC in the south east.

I am thinking either ST4 or Anthem X…

I’m 6 foot 4 so assume i need a 20inch in either….

Anyone ridden both?

Anyone got pics of there 20inches?

Hornet600
    Free Member

Anthem X, Spech Epic or Scott Spark would be choices. After having 2 Epics, 1 Spark and 2 rides on Anthems I would go for the Spark everytime.

sv

Commencal Super 4 Alu is supposedly a better singletrack bike than the ST4. The STW (issue48) article is on the Orange website where they (STW) have an article on them head2head.

avdave2

Bike Magic have a Rift Zone up for review at the moment. The first ride impressions are posted up already. It might fit somewhere between the Anthem and the ST4.

amt27
    Free Member

Commencal Super 4 Alu is supposedly a better singletrack bike than the ST4. The STW (issue48) article is on the Orange website where they (STW) have an article on them head2head.

older model ST4, since then the frame has been updated twice, the latest with a totally different shock layout

mendip
    Free Member

Hi, I am 6’4″ myself and I test ridden Giant Anthem X2 large size last summer and it was tad too small, you def need the extra large 22″ Anthem if you want to buy one, have to say it’s a brilliant bike, Orange 5 is good aswell and 20″ fit me well but it got high travel both from and back.

sv

older model ST4, since then the frame has been updated twice, the latest with a totally different shock layout

Is it now more ‘XCable’?

pedlad

Had both an 2008 and now a 2011 (since autumn) st4 and the later one is more developed in terms of a stiffer rear and chain clearance around chain stay bb area. Apart from that (until it cracked ) the older one and now this latest one are just great fun. Burley enough for anything I’m bold enough to attempt and great blasting on fast tracks I know well.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Would agree with Pedlad’s comments. The new ST4 is a really fun bike to get out + have a blast on. Its also a very good technical climber + generally feels more efficient than the older model as reviewed in ST, but rides like a bike designed for aggressive trail riding rather than an uber efficient XC race derived machine. So depends on what your priorities are.
    I’ve only briefly ridden an Anthem x, but it still felt very XC to me. I guess At 6’4″ riding a 20″ bike (?) any flex in a frame is going to be pretty noticable, so maybe going for the slightly burlier option makes sense. Definitely try to get a few test rides.
    If you shrink 4″ + happen to be in West Wales you’re welcome to have a play on my ST4.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anthem X or ST4’ is closed to new replies.