Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anthem 29er tapered steerer issue
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues fitting a tapered steerer fork to an Anthem X 29er frame? I’m currently running a 1 1/8 steerer reba and bought a second hand 120mm Reba fork with a tapered steerer to try out but am having trouble fitting it – basically the taper on the steerer tube seems to be stopping the headset compression ring fitting into the top bearing properly to secure the fork and eliminate play. The compression ring can’t slog into the top bearing because of the fork steerer taper beginning.

It’s like the head tube is too short or the fork taper ends too high up. Just wondering if I need an alternative lockring or whether the problem is more with the forks I’ve bought? Perhaps the forks are OEM from another bike and the tapered part of the fork is too long although I’d have assumed all tapered head tubes would taper off at the same point. Any ideas? It’s an FSA headset made for Giant but I can’t see any alternative compression rings after looking online.

Andy

Had the same problem with Reba’s on an Anthem. Face book messages Giant who explained it was due to older Reba’s having a longer taper. Will dig out the mail.

Edit: just checked it was a 2010 reba with a 110mm taper as opposed to the modern forks which have an 80mm taper. I ended up having a +5 mm crown race made

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

That’s what I suspected Andy, thanks. Will try and sell the forks I think!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anthem 29er tapered steerer issue’ is closed to new replies.