Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Answerphone message from a police officer or scam?
  • piha
    Free Member

A friend has received a delayed answer phone message on Sunday and asked my friend (by name) to contact them ASAP. The message was left on Thursday and the lady that left the message claims to be ‘WPC Reardon from High Wycombe CID’. However, when the number is called, it doesn’t go to a police station but goes through to a hotel. She didn’t leave any clues as to what the issue is about or her ID number.

I suggest that my friend forgets about it as I’m sure that they will phone back if it’s important. A quick Google search doesn’t show any scams with fake police officer answer phone messages so I would be grateful if any here could throw a bit of light on the matter? Is it legit or forget about it?

VanMan
    Free Member

What did the phone number google as?

kcal

Phone the CID office direct and see if they can cast any light?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sounds iffy. Try calling (thames valley cover High Wycombe?) 101 and ask to be put through to CID. They shouldconfirm the officer works there.
    If they left a message stating they were a WPC, these no longer exist in the Policing World of Political correctness. Everyone in CID is a DC/DS etc etc..

P-Jay
    Free Member

Call the station in High Wycombe and ask to speak to “WPC Reardon” although they haven’t been “WPCs” for years.

piha
    Free Member

Sounds like someone messing around then, especially if the term WPC hasn’t been around for a while. I might give High Wycombe dibble a call tomorrow if my friend is still concerned.

I did think it would have been very silly for someone to leave a message claiming to be a police officer. Most acquaintances are sensible and career focussed people. Thanks for the replies.

allan23
    Free Member

Sounds iffy, almost like the start of one of the scams where you are tricked into giving away your bank details to the “Police Officer” so they can “secure” your account.

Might be worth reporting it to the Police, it can help with stats if there is a known problem in the area.

stumpy01

My Wife (police officer) just said that they haven’t been known as wpc for years and wouldn’t address themselves as that.
    Any doubts ring High Wycombe police station direct.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Answerphone message from a police officer or scam?’ is closed to new replies.