Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Another which Cyclocross bike thread
  • eruptron
    Free Member

Ok guys I’ve decided I’m going to take the plunge and buy one. I haven’t even sat on one but I have short listed it to
    Cube Cross Race Disc Racing Road Bike 2014 nice looking kit for the price and a nice looking bike.
    Cube
    The Kona Jake 2014
    Kona
    Or the Genesis vapour 2014
    Genesis
    I won’t be racing or touring with the bike and it’s mainly going to be used for pleasure riding to link road to off road enjoyment and an alternative to mtb’ing which is what I do.
    What do you’ll reckon?

aP
    Free Member

Which colour do you like most?
    Sorted.

eruptron
    Free Member

That’ll be the Cube then the Jake. Vapour in 3rd I did email Genesis (about availability)but didn’t get a reply so this has put me off a tad 🙁 I know it went as I automatically got an email saying I’d signed up to the news letter 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fervouredimage
    Free Member

Have you considered the Planet X XLS. I’m also in the market for a CX bike and after riding someone else’s XLS any doubt about getting one had gone. Bargain price too.

righog
    Free Member

Aye if I had the money I would be waiting until 8th October

XLS

eruptron
    Free Member

Yeah looked at the XLS but for some reason just not feeling the love. Don’t know why!

tonyd

I’ve mailed Genesis twice in the last week inquiring about things with no response. Pretty poor if you ask me. On One replied within 24 hours and so got my custom.

Clover

Jake.

I’ve got an old one that I love. That one is orange. It has discs. How can you not?
    😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve mailed Genesis twice in the last week inquiring about things with no response. Pretty poor if you ask me. On One replied within 24 hours and so got my custom.

I had a similar thing with Genesis. They have got the new ‘adventure’ bikes on the website, but no geo info. I asked them if it was same as 2013, and no reply.

To be fair, until Brant helped out, I was struggling to get a response out of P-X. Good ‘ol Brant’

/brant

chakaping
    Free Member

Jake handles fantastic offroad, better than my new Boardman CX if I’m honest.

benji
    Free Member

Had a Jake and loved it, nice bike with decent mud clearance.

eruptron
    Free Member

Like the look of the Jake but the Cube has better kit and I can get it from my LBS for similar money.

benji
    Free Member

That Cube is well specced, but is the frame better on the Jake. Can you sit on both and compare?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have you seen the new giant and canyon cx bikes…

benji
    Free Member

Saw a new Giant Wednesday evening, looked very nice, it was the TCX SLR 2, nice spec and finish for a grand and mud clearance was good as well. Not seen a Canyon yet, not sure they are shipping just yet, according to the website it’s last week of November.

eruptron
    Free Member

Seen the new Giant(not in the flesh) but this isn’t available until Febuary. Don’t mind waiting a little but Feb is a little distant as this time isn’t guaranteed.
    Not seen the Canyon.
    benji can’t sit on one as LBS’s round here don’t stock. Might get a look next week as on a course near Reading but think the nature of the beast is to take the plunge and order the best one hence the thread.

crasher50

I’m looking for a cross bike myself, like the look of the Cube.
    Also looked at the Giant tcx slr2, Merida cross 4 & Cannondale caadx5 105. All similar specs, need to try them for size and make a choice.
    Will look at PX xls seems a good buy.

Any suggestions on shoes and pedals for a newcomer to cross.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Oh great…. I thought my mind was made up on the XLS but those Canyons look very well spec’d for the money. Hmmmm….

tonyd

I had a similar thing with Genesis. They have got the new ‘adventure’ bikes on the website, but no geo info. I asked them if it was same as 2013, and no reply.

Me too – was looking for geo info as there’s none on any of the new bikes.

eruptron
    Free Member

Oh great…. I thought my mind was made up on the XLS but those Canyons look very well spec’d for the money. Hmmmm

Looks a bit uninspiring though

benjiWhere did you see the Giant? And whats with the flexi seat post as shown in the video
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM0KQ3COQTw[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

Who shoots in 240p? 😡

And whats with the flexi seat post as shown in the video

It’s nothing to do with the stays, it’s Youtube’s stabiliser. Which can sometimes make things look a bit funky.

Jamie
    Free Member

Edit: I’m an idiot.

Re-read your post, translated the guy in the videos comments, and see what you’re talking about now.

benji
    Free Member

Where did you see the Giant?

It was at the Lincsquad evening race at Scunthorpe last Wednesday, one of the Youth racers had it.

As for pedals and shoes, most of it’s personal choice, I like the crank brothers egg beaters as they have four sides and have never clogged them yet. Shoes I’m currently running Gaernes but have used Sidi in the past, as long as they take studs in the front i’m happy, as any running uphill when it’s too muddy to ride or steep, studs come into there own, you can be running whilst others are sliding and walking.

Jamie
    Free Member

Edit: I’m an idiot.

Re-read your post, translated the guy in the videos comments, and see what you’re talking about now.

…but the seat is not as flexy as the vid shows, just checked, as the stability filter does make it look worse.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve had my Cotic X for six months now and am loving it. Used for long road rides with a bit of off-road thrown in, commuting, local bridleway and gravel road farm track riding, and yesterday rode it up to Hamsterley Forest and down some of the new red trails.

Unless you’ve ridden road/cx before, it’s probably not much use sitting on one. For the first few rides, I was convinced that my X was far too long with too big a drop to the bars and that I’d never use the big chainring 🙂

It’s steel and therefore “far too heavy” and all that, but carbon and aluminium scare me 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

gravel road

😀

miketually
    Free Member

It’s the new niche, you know 🙂

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

rode it up to Hamsterley Forest and down some of the new red trails.

What are these new trails you speak of miketually?

I’ve loving my brand new boardman cx team having never ridden road or cx b4.
    You have to put the effort in to get the spend up but its worth it.
    Next time I can sneak a day off when the weather’s nice I’m thinking of doing a long one to Hamsters and back from Sunderland.

miketually
    Free Member

What are these new trails you speak of miketually?

I should have put the ‘new’ in inverted commas – I rode Section 13, Accelerator and Nitrous 🙂

A couple of features on Section 13 were a bit scary-rocky for skinny tyres but Accelerator and Nitrous were great fun.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone gone for the new 2014 Jake the Snake yet? Looks pretty good to me.

iainc

I’m going to be selling an older Jake the Snake soon 🙂

eruptron
    Free Member

Jake the snake is beyond what I’m gonna pay. Jake is within budget. I’m off to Pedal on tomorrow evening see if they’ve anything interesting. Hopefully it’s a good place to investigate bikey things.

IanW
    Free Member

There all pretty sporty add the Merida 4 to the list.

Its worth it for the trailer!!

[youtube]hrEMF3G-PN8[/youtube]http://youtu.be/hrEMF3G-PN8

benji
    Free Member

I’d love to hear the guy on that Merida trailer order something in McDonalds, nobody talks like that normally, so why they do for a commercial is beyond me.

duff
    Free Member

That trailer is truly awful – I was waiting for the no-nonsense Northerner voice to cut in like an old Boddingtons advert….alas nay.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the specific bike options suggested by the OP and others, but I am in the process of getting a CX bike too (for similar intentions as the OP).

I couldn’t find the bike I wanted off the peg for <£1K so took the option of specing and building my own. Mostly through careful purchasing of components on sale, cashback deals, selecting the “right” bars, saddle, gear ratios, etc., as well as one eBay purchase (shifters – why are they so expensive) I will soon have the bike I want … a Kinesis T5 with Pure CX carbon fork and 105 througout for <£950.

You may want to consider the self-spec option too? Not always cheeper, but makes sense if you think you will be changing some components in near future. The Planet X XLS is tempting for £1.3K though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dire trailer that Merida one. American market?

Just had a fiddle with a new Giant TCX SLR 1 at my LBS. Very nice indeed with full hydro discs. Could easily become a new want even if it pushes the budget a bit…

Jamie
    Free Member

The Planet X XLS is tempting for £1.3K

£1.3k? Thought it was £999

Just had a fiddle with a new Giant TCX SLR 1 at my LBS. Very nice indeed with full hydro discs. Could easily become a new want even if it pushes the budget a bit…

They are nice, ain’t they? I had the SLR 2, which was very nice with the TRP Spyres. Shame it had to go back as had a some cosmetic issues.

duff
    Free Member

There are better vfm bikes out there but I love the look of this:

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

On another note, just fitted the new TRP Hy/Rd disc brakes to my bike, been out for a test and the are fantastic. My MTB has XTR and they are not far behind them in power and modulation, a revelation for a cable actuated hydraulic disc brake. Highly recommended.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Another which Cyclocross bike thread’ is closed to new replies.