Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Another whats it worth, but I'm buying not selling.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Evening all, I posted in the classifieds the other week asking for an older Ti 29er frame. I didn’t get offered much but last night I was offered a “Lynskey Ridgeline 29 SL, in Large. 1&1/8 with a sleeve for 27.2 seat post”, now I know the failure rate was quite high on these & I would expect that to be reflected in the SH value but the seller has asked for roughly half the new price, this shocked me a little as it’s an old frame but is this right?

How would you value the above?

Cheers.

renton
    Free Member

Not at half the price of a new one that’s for sure.

Just exactly how old is it and how much does he want ?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, I suspect it’s 2010/11 as it has a straight steerer, as for the price it would be unfair of me to say but its not hard to find out how much they were new 😉

GHill

Lose 50% for the first year, then about 10% of the residual every year after? Straight steerer is pretty limiting for new suspension forks (if that matters).

epicyclo

The OP has answered his own question.

There’s not much out there available, ie the supply is less than the demand.

In that case half price is reasonable for a Ti frame. (I wouldn’t sell mine for that, I’d sooner keep it)

If it was an alloy frame, it would be different.

br
    Free Member

It’s worth what someone wants to pay for it, but not less than someone wants to sell it at.

If 50% is the going rate for the Lynskey, then I’d take a look at something like a new Fireline instead.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

There’s not much out there available, ie the supply is less than the demand.

There is a very good reason why there are few Lynskeys still running.

Most are paperweights by now.

Fireline looks a good bet; at least there is a warranty

nickjb
    Free Member

Way overpriced for a bike that is likely to fail without a warranty

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

try looking on ebay to see what (if any) older ti frames have sold for?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

If I was you I’d be speaking to Aus about his Pegasus frame – they are awesome

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

That Pegasus look lovely, but I cant justify that amount on a SH frame.

Cheers.

epicyclo

ScottChegg – Member
    There is a very good reason why there are few Lynskeys still running.

Most are paperweights by now.

Really? I have 2 Lynskey built bikes. No sign of paperweight status yet, and anyway, they are repairable.

Are there actual statistics, or is it just the same internet meme being repeated?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve had 3.

All bust.

That’s a 100% failure rate as far as I’m concerned.

they are repairable

Warranty is better.

br
    Free Member

Really? I have 2 Lynskey built bikes. No sign of paperweight status yet, and anyway, they are repairable.

Rode my Lynskey HT today, still brilliant 7 years on.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

So he wants circa £600 for his titanium Lynskey frame.

Tbh that’s a good price, or look at alloy or steel if you cannot find a viable way into riding ti.

hora
    Free Member

Werent these frames being knocked out for cheap prices up until recently on crc?
    I wouldn’t pay 600 for a secondhand lynskey.

BTW- the fans^ its your only bike/build for all these years then?

br
    Free Member

BTW- the fans^ its your only bike/build for all these years then?

Only bike for 6 years, destroyed loads of components though over that time, but not the frame.

Got a FS earlier this year, for Enduro-type stuff, but still ride the HT (twice this week FWIW).

hora
    Free Member

Well done for bucking the norm

bugcab
    Free Member

I paid about 1/3 retail for a 3 year old Ridgeline HT a few years back. Change of plan after brand new Cube 29er crumbled first ride. No doubt got it so cheap because the extinct 26″ wheelsize. Pair of Stans, xt group and revelations gave me nimble machine that rolls, goes over bumps well and still looks almost brand new today for same or less than the budget carbon hard tail I originally went with. Much rather buy 2nd hand Ti than cheap carbon.

renton
    Free Member

Chain reaction have a 2013 ridgeline vf frame for 899.

This has newer heatube standard than older one.

No way I would pay 600 for a used one that are well known for snapping.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Another whats it worth, but I'm buying not selling.’ is closed to new replies.