Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Another 'what to do with money' thread
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I have £14,000 (remortgaged to cover home improvements and other bits n bobs) and it is currently sat in a HSBC savings account earning about 99% less than not very much at all. I am completely risk averse as I will be spending all of it over the next few months/year or so but I was wondering if there is anything worth doing with it – the only thing I can see is taking a punt on Premium Bonds as an Instant Access ISA is only going to give me around 1% PA interest and most of the money will be gone by Christmas anyway (will only have around £4k by then according to my spreadsheet). I must have instant access to it.

jimdubleyou

We have all the money for our extension in Premium Bonds at the moment.

Got £50 this month.

Hoping for the big £1M next month, then we can just buy a new house instead of sitting through 4 months of dust…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Withdraw it in fivers, scatter it on the bed and roll naked in it.

woody2000

Sounds like it would be a pain in the arse doing anything with it to be honest! If you’re going to need it in dribs and drabs between now an xmas, just leave it where it is.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Buy a retro/ classic car or motorbike (or both), will appreciate faster than any bank account.
    And you can instantly access them to go for a drive/ride whenever you like

the-muffin-man

Sounds like it would be a pain in the arse doing anything with it to be honest! If you’re going to need it in dribs and drabs between now an xmas, just leave it where it is.

^ what he said!

Or put the 4k you think you’ll have spare in Premium Bonds and leave the rest where it is?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Withdraw it in fivers, scatter it on the bed and roll naked in it.

This.

Factor in some C&H though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

So you want some massive ROI by Xmas and you are asking us?

Gamble on bitcoin
    Gamble on Poker
    Gamble on the Nedz

Leave it safely where it is and drip into when required..

jimdubleyou

Premium Bonds are pretty meh as an investment, unless you’re a higher rate tax payer.

Yeah, I know. But £1M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

It could be you!

It won’t be, but it COULD be!

johndoh
    Free Member

So you want some massive ROI

No, not at all, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do with it that might, just might, give me even just £100 or so.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

drlex – Member
    Premium Bonds are pretty meh as an investment, unless you’re a higher rate tax payer.

Yes, but if you need easy access (2-3days)to your dosh they make sense. If you have enough you’ll get a win every month or so and it may be a big one…
    You won’t be entered in the first months draw though so you won’t be winning anything until December at the earliest!

km79
    Free Member

Buy big bag of drugs. Divide up into smaller bags of drugs. Sell these small bags of drugs for ??% more than they cost you. It will be Christmas party season soon, should be easy.

Andy_B

Don’t some credit cards give a better interest rate with a positive balance? Open a credit card that gives you a cash incentive to do so.

Play about with funding circle type investments is a possibility for a little bit of it.

Also, I don’t really see why instant access is important as long as you’re not planning on paying cash for stuff and I wouldn’t see any sense on doing that when getting through £14K, at least for most of it. That should make a 1 month notice work.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Read a very interesting book about the cocaine industry last week and it turns out that from growing to street, the value goes up by around 1000%.
    So all you need is a smallholding in Columbia and thirty spare years in case you get caught.

involver
    Free Member

A few options here. Looks like 1.27% is about the best you’ll get without too much faff though.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest

P-Jay
    Free Member

Buy a retro/ classic car or motorbike (or both), will appreciate faster than any bank account.
    And you can instantly access them to go for a drive/ride whenever you like

OP said risk adverse.

I’ve read a few posts on various threads selling the idea that classic cars are some no-lose gamble and the market is only going one way and as an extra bonus you can play with them at the same time.

The ONLY rule to making money without working for it is Buy-low, sell-high. The classic car market is now VERY high and shows every sign of a bubble about to burst.

Kryton57

Open a First Direct account and stick it in their bonus savings account for more interest.

Why not pay it off the mortgage or did I miss something.

And what happended to the new car proposal? You could lease a decent car for about 4 years with that

Kryton57

Open a First Direct account and stick it in their bonus savings account for more interest.

Why not pay it off the mortgage or did I miss something.

And what happended to the new car proposal? You could lease a decent car for about 4 years with that

rmacattack
    Free Member

go on a holiday , life is for living and you only get one chance

TheGingerOne

No point in Premium Bonds if you are going to be using most of the money before Christmas. From memory,if you invested it today it would not be in the November draw, only the December draw so you have one chance and by then would have withdrawn a lot of it anyway. I doubt you would even win 1 £25 prize.

On £14k you are never going to make money worth worrying about and in your time frame you are also not going to ‘lose’ money worth worrying about.

johndoh
    Free Member

go on a holiday , life is for living and you only get one chance

See my other posts – some of the remortgage is already goIng on a month-long trip to Dubai, Australia and Hong Kong next March / April 😉

Mintyjim

Funding circle has my vote (and our emergency £4k pot).

nickjb
    Free Member

How liquid is funding circle? Doesn’t it take a while to get the money out?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Another 'what to do with money' thread’ is closed to new replies.