• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by apj.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Another 'what smartphone' thread: G or E?
  • PhilO
    Free Member

I see that the Moto G gets regular recommendations in these hallowed halls. Does anybody use the cheaper Moto E? On paper, it looks like it should be more than adequate for my purposes (Strava logging, mp3, SMS just about covers it) – am I missing any major drawbacks?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Lack of a front facing camera (for video calls) on the E? Though some will see the lack of a camera as a bonus, saving the need to tape it over.

Cougar

You could also save the need to tape over the camera by wearing a tinfoil hat.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

I have an E, does me grand. I got it just as the new G was coming out. Expandable memory clinched it, price a close 2nd.

Does what I need, battery life is good, flash on these phones is so shite it’s not worth having!

miketually
    Free Member

I looked at the two recently and decided that the new 4G version of the MotoG would be my choice. I’m running the Galaxy Nexus into the ground first though.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You could also save the need to tape over the camera by wearing a tinfoil hat.

Tinfoil mask surely?

simon_g

Original G can probably be had for less than the E now. They can be unlocked with a code that is under £2 via eBay.

E will be fine though if you’re not bothered about the extra stuff.

keppoch

simon_g – Where would you suggest buying and can you provide a suitable link for the Ebay unlock?

I’m looking to buy a G for my father. His requirements will not be too big so not fussed on new details or high memory. Planning to put a gifgaff SIM in it so an unlock will be required unless I get it from the O2 shop (£129)

teethgrinder

G LTE

GeForceJunky

The new generation 2 G is out now, usefully called the Moto G, not confusing at all! Very similar spec though, bigger 5″ screen, microSD, better camera, no 4G.

Cougar

They can be unlocked with a code that is under £2 via eBay.

… or by contacting the original provider.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just got the new G for work. I’m amazed how good it is for the cost. A budget smartphone is the last thing it feels like (most of the time) yet it costs very little.

Also bear in mind that sim-free Nokia Windows phones are stupidly cheap and remarkably good. Probably the best budget phones I reckon.

footflaps

Also bear in mind that sim-free Nokia Windows phones are stupidly cheap and remarkably good. Probably the best budget phones I reckon.

Do they still brand them Nokia, post MS take over?

molgrips
    Free Member

They have so far. I expect they’d continue with the brand name – I would.

Just checked – nokia.com redirects to http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile but they still use the name Nokia on that very page and the device has Nokia on it.

keppoch

Evening crowd – can a Moto G be had for less than £129?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Keppoch – yes vodafone were doing then for £99 on PAYG last week. (8gb / 3G I presume)

apj
    Free Member

I bought a Moto E and regret it. The camera is awful: it’s fixed focus rather than auto-focus and has no flash. Not massively into photos but would like a usable camera.I would get a G.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Another 'what smartphone' thread: G or E?’ is closed to new replies.