Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Another "what car/van for biking with family in tow" thread…
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Mrs Pixelmix and I are eventually looking to add a VW Transporter Kombi to go with our Golf sized car (or I am – she is reluctantly agreeing), but current parking logistics mean that probably won’t happen any time soon (until we move house, which is some time away – a Transporter won’t fit in the garage due to the height).

As a stop gap, a decent sized car or small kombi van that can fit in the garage might make life easier (while we still keep our decent Golf sized car as the main driver).

The car/small van will mainly be for biking duties, but needs to fit the following requirements:

– Able to stand at least one bike up in the back with both wheels on and a passenger seat still in place (i.e. it needs to have at least 3 seats available, ideally 4, with a bike down the side).
    – Van-like enough to get changed in the back in the p****** rain when it is freezing cold after a cyclocross race
    – Interesting enough that I don’t hate it after spending time in the other car.
    – Able to fit in a garage – our garage is a reasonable sized, but has the usual tight fitting door. We can get a Scirocco (slightly wider than a golf) in, but not much wider, and the height of a T5 Transporter wouldn’t go through the door.

Most vans are out, as there are few that will allow four people and a bike in that aren’t getting on for Transporter sized.

Budget is negotiable, but something decent around £3,000 would be good. Willing to consider more for something awesome or interesting (and we would just delay the purchase a bit to save up…)

Suggest away… (pics with bikes in appreciated too)…

molgrips
    Free Member

Your life would be vastly easier if you used a bike rack and a normal car.. just sayin…

legend
    Free Member

With that list of requirements, I think I actually agree with Molgrips

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

your search found: 0 results

pixelmix
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s what I was fearing, but I was hoping that someone suggest something that I hadn’t thought of that can take a bike upright.

Looks like I’ll be continuing with the roof rack on the family hatch until we can find the space to get a van too. Grumble grumble.

scud
    Free Member

Only thing that i can really think of would be Citreon Berlingo/ Peugeot Partner car versions, like the Escapade. Very practical cars, easy to driv, good fuel economy, just not very exciting.

molgrips
    Free Member

Towbar racks are far better than roof ones.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

One of these

benp1

But is generally more expensive

Plus the roof bars are useful for all sorts of family life stuff, tow bar is only useful if you have (and can store) a trailer!

khani
    Free Member

Doblo. with a tailgate not split back doors, split fold rear seat so will take a full bike upright with someone in the back, the tailgates perfect for sitting and getting changed under..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Another "what car/van for biking with family in tow" thread…’ is closed to new replies.